• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Have you found any shinies in 3rd gen?

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
  • I remember that I saw a shiny Spinda, didn't know about shinies at the time so it just caught it, then released it later on for some reason.

Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2014
    sadly, no but i'm currently undergoing the hunt for my shiny torchic, im currently at 1,300 soft resets

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • I remember being really disappointed in my game cartridges because I was never able to find a shiny pokemon, but in my time using the ROM's i've ran into hundreds of legit shiny pokemon, I wish my luck would carry over onto those cartridges lol.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I remember catching a shiny gloom in my game, but not only that, I also got pokerus... what are the chances! It seems unfair to me that some people never come across these things in their playthroughs. I feel it should be that when you rack up a certain amount of time that you're guaranteed to find at least ONE shiny.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2018
    So there I was, happily playing Pokémon Emerald, minding my own business when I encounter a Poochyena. Not thinking much of it, I figured: 'Hey it's just another Poochyena.' until I spotted the color. The Poochyena was green. I wasn't sure if my eyes were playing tricks on me or if I had really encountered something special. So I caught it. There didn't seem to be anything special about it though. (then again, I was still a noob at Pokémon games and had no clue about shinies or anything like that).

To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure if I was going nuts or not. Have any of you found green Poochyenas?

Unfortunately, I don't have the Poochyena with me anymore. =(

Last edited:
    Years
  • I found shiny zubat in Ruby few days ago - and I found a lot of shiny pidgeys in FireRed and LeafGreen xD Too bad that I could never use them since I always found them while doing some kinda challenge on the game - and I couldn't trade them either :(

Life

[FONT="Poiret One"][color=#aaaaaa]Perception of Re
    Years
  • I managed to find a shiny Slakoth while I was walking through Petalburg Woods. It was pretty cool since this was at school. Sadly this was the only shiny I managed to find in Generation 3. :(

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2022
    Well, when I saw my first shiny Pokemon in the wild (LG) it was a pidgey that i found right before MT moon and i was so terrified that i saved the game and caught that pidgey, I even relesed the pidgey I had bafore I saw that shiny one and right after catching it, I sent an email to my Pokemaniac (and brony) cousin and I told him I saw a wierd green pidgey in the wild... LOL

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
  • All Legit Shinies Found and Caught in my Fire Red Version

019.gif
    043.gif
    063.gif
    072.gif
    111.gif
    101.gif
    227.gif

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2017
    I remember seeing a shiny zigzaggoon but one hit KOed it never seen one since haha

Years
  • My first shiny I got, was a shiny Poochyena. I just walked in the first grass, after getting my starter Pokemon and the first 5 poke balls and caught it because it's awesome color. I didn't knew that it was special, because I didn't saw another Poochyena before, and infact I didn't realized the special shiny thing in the start of the battle. The end of the song is, that I caught it, but it stayed in my team, cause in that phase a wasn't that patient a it tools a loooooong time to grow up some levels ... Sadly I lost the game file through an accident ...
    The last shiny was a tentacool.
    I hope I wrote the Pokemon right, but I'm more familiar with the German names ..:D

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • Yes, quite a few. On accident usually.

The most common were Magikarps. Me and a friend had bet on who could fill 5 PC boxes with Magikarps first, so I eventually won, but in the process, I got 8 shinies. 5 Magikarps, then 3 Tentacools.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Me personally, no. But when i first got Sapphire and my little brother had Ruby, he suddenly started freaking out one day, as he encountered a shiny Swablu. Back then, we had no clue what it meant, or that they were called shinies, but of course he caught it and put it on his team...the jealousy i felt that day...

RemixinROMulus

Crit happens...
    Years
  • Oh yeah! 3rd gen is the only gen I (sort of) shiny hunt on because the shinies are much more valuable. It's ALWAYS 1/8192. There's none of this Masuda method, Pokeradar chaining, red gyarados, shiny ditto trick, or any other stuff that increases the odds. I've only got a shiny Gulpin (E) and a shiny Snorlax (LG). My cousin SR'd and got shiny Mewtwo on Leaf Green. Right now I'm going for a shiny Kyogre in a Premier Ball on Sapphire.

Just thinking: Damn, that would suck to find a shiny in the Battle Pike or Battle Pyramid... I'm staying away from those places.

Last edited:

RemixinROMulus

Crit happens...
    Years
  • I'd first heard about shinies in this NintendoPower guide for FR/LG, but they called them "Alternately Colored Pokemon", even though most people referred to them as shiny Pokemon. Just to give you some idea of exactly how rare shinies are:

If you played a Gen III game and did nothing but run around in grass continuously looking for shinies, it would take on average about 45 hours to find one shiny, assuming you encounter about 3 pokemon per minute. 45 hours of gameplay spent on just walking around in grass for a shiny!

Has anyone been successful with manipulating Emerald's RNG to obtain shinies? Do you believe this is cheating?

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • I once saw a shiny Tyranitar when doing a randomized Nuzlocke, but didnt manage to catch it -.-
    And thats the only shiny ive ever seen in Gen3...my brother has 5 on his FireRed...so jealous

Back