• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Haxorus vs [Hydreigon]

Who do you pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flubbateios

Hydregion makes an incredibly balanced pokemon, it can sweep Haxorus with ease to me.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I like Hydreigon better than Haxorus. This is because I generally like special attackers better than physical attackers. I also like its appearance a bit better than Haxorus. I like its power and this was one of the reasons why I used it on my in-game team on my White.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Aaand Hydreigon wins. Sucks, I totally wanted Haxorus - oh well, it was close at least :x

Next poll will be up... when Kaori wakes up. XD

(ya'll can continue posting if you'd like)

Unsticky time!

Years

• Incorrect. Hydreigon is faster than Haxorus.

True, but the difference is that Haxorus has access to (and would make much better use of) Dragon Dance, which makes sweeping a whole lot easier. One DD and you're pumping Outrages off a base 147 Attack stat. Plus Earthquake can hit Levitators due to Mold Breaker.

I do think that Hydreigon is more novel, though. They both get points for clever puns in their names. Hax0rz and Hy3gon. :D

Years
  • True, but the difference is that Haxorus has access to (and would make much better use of) Dragon Dance, which makes sweeping a whole lot easier. One DD and you're pumping Outrages off a base 147 Attack stat. Plus Earthquake can hit Levitators due to Mold Breaker.

Do not entirely agree. If Hydreigon had access to Dragon Dance, a moveset comprising of;

Outrage
    Earthquake / Crunch
    Fire Blast / Crunch
    Dragon Dance

would be absolutely terrifying. Hydreigon has the stats to be a deadly mixed sweeper so that it can obliterate the hardcore physical walls that Haxorus struggles against with an all consuming blast of fire (Skarmory immediately springs to mind).

This is my second post for the 20th November, Kaori.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • For me, haxorus is still better. It has some plus points over Hydreigon I failed to mention.

First, Haxorus evolve very much quicker than a Hydreigon. Also, Haxorus kills Blisseys much easier, which Hydreigon finds a bit difficult. Also, regarding Skarmory, one Dragon Dance plus outrage could 2HKO Skarmory.

And Haxorus doesn't look like a Bakugan or Digimon. :\

Years
  • I've OHKO a Hydreigon with 1 DD and an Earthquake thanks to Mold Breaker. I'm sticking with Haxorus.

One on one, Hydreigon is faster and clean OHKO's Haxorus with a Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor.

For me, haxorus is still better. It has some plus points over Hydreigon I failed to mention.

First, Haxorus evolve very much quicker than a Hydreigon. Also, Haxorus kills Blisseys much easier, which Hydreigon finds a bit difficult. Also, regarding Skarmory, one Dragon Dance plus outrage could 2HKO Skarmory.

And Haxorus doesn't look like a Bakugan or Digimon. :\

From a competitive stand, your first point is irrelevant, but fair enough. Blissey is a special wall, so obviously it's natural Hydreigon gets walled by it. However, Hydreigon has the capability of beating Blissey one on one if it uses Taunt (though admittedly even with taunt I generally wouldn't take on a Blissey with Hydreigon unless it was a last resort since you need to hit it with two Focus Blasts and a Draco Meteor to knock it out). Against a physically defensive Skarmory, Haxorus with a single Dragon Dance AND Life Orb deals between 39.52 - 46.7% to Skarmory. Admittedly though, if the Skarmory was specially defensive, Outrage deals 51.19 - 60.47% but most Skarmory are physically defensive I believe.

This is my THIRD post for you today Kaori. I think I deserve a day off now.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    One on one, Hydreigon is faster and clean OHKO's Haxorus with a Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor.

However, Hydreigon has the capability of beating Blissey one on one if it uses Taunt (though admittedly even with taunt I generally wouldn't take on a Blissey with Hydreigon unless it was a last resort since you need to hit it with two Focus Blasts and a Draco Meteor to knock it out).

This is my THIRD post for you today Kaori. I think I deserve a day off now.

That's a good point as to why Haxorus is better, Hydreigon has to rely on luck: Haxorus doesn't. Plus, Haxorus' attack power doesn't decrease unless Mence or Gyarados or something comes in, while Hydreigon just needs to use its main STAB and boom, it decreases.

Also, as you said earlier on, Hydreigon doesn't get DD, so if Haxorus DD's then it'll outspeed and OHKO (assuming Hydreigon isn't scarfed but yeaaah).

Darthrai

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    Hydreigon! I love both, but Hydreigon has the coolest dual typing in the series and is one of the few downright evil Pokémon. I like both equally for competitive purposes (Haxorus has boosting moves and monstrous Attack, while Hydreigon is a great special sweeper).

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • I'm a bit rusty on competitive battling, but I'll choose Haxorus, because I want to even out the votes (in my mind at least). Otherwise it's a very tough call.

Hydriegon is a pseudo-legendary, meaning more BST than Haxorus. However, 147 attack isn't an easy stat to overlook. Haxorus + Choice Scarf + Outrage... Unless the opponent is a steel-type or an extremely resilient physical wall (or both), your defending 'mon has literally 100% chance to be OHKO'd. On the other hand, Hydriegon isn't to be underestimated either, because it has vast movepool + very good sp. atk.

Typing MAY be an advantage that Hydriegon has, but it gives additional weaknesses as well.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    POTW_HaxorusArt_Pokemon_Alternatives-s487x366-174125.png

I am voting for Haxorus. I like Axew, but not Fraxure.
    I just prefer Haxorus to Hydreigon. Haxorus looks more "normal" looking than Hyreigon because Hyreigon's "hands" are its heads.

I JUST LIKE HAXORUS MORE THAN HYDREIGON!

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Both are really freaking strong IMO but I like Haxorus just a little bit more due to its downright monstrous attack stat and access to not only Swords Dance but also Dragon Dance, I swear the beast is like Tyranitar on steroids after a boost from SD or DD lol. I love Hydreigon's ability as a formidable sweeper though even with a hindering nature such as Adamant for example, TBH it does make a rather potent mixed sweeper if I do say so myself, definitely helps out with Blissey lol. Design wise I just can't pick a single one since both of them are so freaking awesome looking lol.

Hydro Pumper

Water Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • This is difficult since I like both of them as Pokemon, though I'm sliding more with Hydreigon. Hydreigon has a larger movepool, which offers more versatility and therefore offers him more potential roles (whether he is decent at them is another thing :P). For example, Hydreigon is able to abuse special attacks, while also having the slim chance of running physical options, or even a mixed set to spoil regular counters. On the otherhand, Haxorus has limited move options. Haxorus can only use physical moves effectively.

Another reason why I chose Hydreigon was the fact that it has two immunities in Psychic and Ground thanks to its Dark typing and ability Levitate respectively. In competitive battling Hydreigon avoids Spikes and Toxic Spikes too, which is another pro.

And as a few others have mentioned, Hydreigon has one base speed higher than Haxorus. In 1 VS 1 Haydreigon would win with a Dragon Pulse.

Crystalized

Waiting For RSE Remake
    Years
  • I am rating this from a competitive point of view, but on a personal level, Haxorus is awesome.

I: Stats

Haxorus has that huge 147 Attack stat, while Hydreigon has 125 Special Attack. They both got trolled by GameFreak in terms of Speed, with 97 and 98 respectively. Hydreigon has much better balanced stats.

Hydreigon wins the stats war!

II: Movepool

No one really missed out here. Haxorus has powerful STAB in Outrage, and Hydreigon is in the same boat, having Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse. For coverage, Haxorus can run Earthquake and X-Scissor, whilst Hydreigon can Fire Blast or Focus Blast. Hydreigon can also run U-Turn to grab the momentum. However, boosting moves is where it counts. Haxorus got Dragon Dance and Swords Dance, while Hydreigon couldn't get a boosting move at all.

Haxorus wins the movepool war!

III: Variety (the decider)

Now this is hard. You can pretty much pick a Choice item for either, but what's there outside of that? None of them are like Tyranitar, who can run a Boah set to beat it's usual counters/checks, but Haxorus can effectively run a Dragon Dance or Swords Dance set. Hydreigon could use it's bulk to run a Sub + 3 Attacks set, but meh.

Haxorus wins the variety war!

Haxorus wins!

This has been a Crystalized presentation.

Back