• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen HeartGold/SoulSilver Speculation

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    The Black Tower was seen on Route 41 next to Olivine where the original Battle Tower was located in Crystal. So, it is safe to assume that it'll be back, however the area around it is still covered in clouds so it is unsure of whether or not the Battle Frontier may show up again.

As for the new areas, there is so far the change in Cianwood. I would think it is more made to look like Canalve City with the water routes and all. As for the divided up areas shown, it is hard to tell what it all may be about. Although, it is basically seen that the new tower in Goldenrod City will more than likely be the new GTS for Johto. As for the new area west of the National Park, it is said that this may be the new Contest Hall for the region.

Then there is speculation of Arceus's location which is mostly thought to be located at the top of Mt. Silver where snow is found. This makes the most sense out of it, because it gives relation to Arceus's connection being located at the top of Mt. Coronet in Sinnoh while in Johto it relates to the top of Mt. Silver.
    HeartGold/SoulSilver Speculation

GTS, I think it'll be on the left side of Goldenrod Radio Tower...

Hmm... Can you explain more about "look like Canalave", 'coz I don't get it...

Speaking of Contest, I think it's safe to speculate that it'll reappear on HG/SS.
    Since I see the "Ribbon Tab."

2 different Ilex Forest,
    They look a little diiferent(note the color difference),
    I don't think it's because of the real-time event.
    Maybe the game makers turned the forest a lil' darker,
    since the original G/S/C one had the creepy feeling,
    so maybe thet want that creepy look to comeback again...

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Speaking of Contest, I think it's safe to speculate that it'll reappear on HG/SS.

Spoiler:

2 different Ilex Forest,

Yes, when I said the GTS, I did mean left of the Radio Tower like I said before. The building shape shown on the Johto map itself gives it the best look of it. So, this is why I say the GTS will be found in the new extended area of Goldenrod City. As for the Canalave look with Cianwood, if you notice Cianwood is given a canal in the city. Just like Canalave a canal was shown there. So, the new look of Cianwood as others have mentioned as well gives it a close look or relation to Canalave City from Sinnoh. Then there is the divided areas, which is questionable on what can be the reason for, but that I do not know.

As for the ribbon, that is what I saw long before when the scans were out earlier this month. This is the main reason why I mentioned earlier that for the least, the Contest Hall will make a return to the 4th generation games, unlike what was done in FRLG. The most noticeable place for the Contest in Johto to be located is West of the National Park where you will notice an oval or round like building on the map.

To tell you the truth about the Ilex Forest, I do believe it may be because of the real time format. If you notice, by the Celebi Shrine, the land and trees are in brighter color. However, in the second image of it, not only is it a bit darker than before, but the building itself has a slight red tint as though it was broad evening. So, I don't think that it is a matter of two different forests, but time relation. Though, the forest is still given a spookier look than before in my opinion. It is at least heavily detailed which is a plus for this location.

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    Regarding Ilex Forest: The first shot is in the morning, the second in the late afternoon/evening. Pretty obvious. It would look darkest (like the original Ilex) at night. Also, the 'cloudy' forest-y effect used in Platinum is there, which is good because backtracking to D/P would just be silly.

Ryuzaki_Lawliet

Arctic Fox Lover =3
    Years
    I can't wait to see what Totodile looks like when he follows you around. I mean, I guess having a Feraligator follow you would be kinda cool, like when you go surfing, he could swim with you maybe...?

And as for the elite four, I can't wait to see what kind of pokemon they have in the remake. (I am getting HeartGold)

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I can't wait to see what Totodile looks like when he follows you around. I mean, I guess having a Feraligator follow you would be kinda cool, like when you go surfing, he could swim with you maybe...?

And as for the elite four, I can't wait to see what kind of pokemon they have in the remake. (I am getting HeartGold)

Here is your basic picture with Totodile following behind the player in its OW sprite. Sorry it isn't in the best quality, but I did it through paint and that sometimes stink when printscreening an image.

However, there are images with all three starters following the player along with other various Pokémon as well. For Feraligatr, it'll definitely be larger in size and extra detail for its OW sprite as well. I think they came out nicely for the game that is for sure. I'm also satisified enough that they extended the feature to all 493 Pokémon, so this enables players to choose their favorite Pokémon to follow them rather than a selective few. When it comes to surfing, I don't think they will show our Pokémon outside. If not, then the best thing they can do is allow the Surfing Pokémon on our team to come out in its OW sprite so it'll look more realistic other than riding on a set figure for the game. However, I don't know if they will implement this idea as there are other factors that can negate the idea of it, but we'll see.

For the Elite Four, seeing as this is a remake and looking back to FRLG, I would say that the Elite will be kept the same. The most probably change for them would be the movesets fo their Pokémon, the Al levels, and their Pokémon levels as well. So, they may just seem to be a bit tougher than before. Other than this, I would only expect a basic change in team rosters and hightened levels after a rematch is set. This way they can obtain some of the newer generation Pokémon for us to challenge afterwards.

Last edited:

POKéMIKE1

AKA meejle
    Years
    What I don't get is... what happens if you have a large or giant Pokémon following you? For example, we know from FR/LG that a Snorlax is two tiles wide — so how would you fit through the one-tile walkway on the above screenshot?

Unless they shrink every Pokémon to one tile like in the original GSC, but that would feel like a step backwards...

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    What I don't get is... what happens if you have a large or giant Pokémon following you? For example, we know from FR/LG that a Snorlax is two tiles wide — so how would you fit through the one-tile walkway on the above screenshot?

Unless they shrink every Pokémon to one tile like in the original GSC, but that would feel like a step backwards...

To tell you the truth, they have already shown Steelix, one of the largest Pokémon out in its OW sprite. Not to mention, we also have Arceus seen as well. So, by referencing back to this and Snorlax, I will say that the pixels and data used to create their OW sprite will more than likely fit within that one tile.

It has been working out well as shown from the scans. Not to mention, unlike the tile format in FRLG and RSE, the new 3D use and wide spacing allows the player to have more room to move about, so it isn't like we are given too much of narrow areas. Though, Snorlax in FRLG did fit within one tile if I remember correctly, so like then it wouldn't really be a problem now.

Shrinking the Pokémon though won't necessarily be a stepback, as they do need to figure a way to make it work, and if going in a route like this is the way to do it, then so be it. However, the feature is working out well as shown, so I'm sure either one way or the other it'll come out fine.

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
    FrLg Snorlax was just one tile wide. On the path that was 2 tiles wide, the other tile was a sign or something, so you still couldn't get through.

And it's not like Pokemon have always had the correct proportioning with tiles for overworld stuff anyway, even in DPPt. So it's not really a step back, just... a continuation of incorrectness :P

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    As for the ribbon, that is what I saw long before when the scans were out earlier this month. This is the main reason why I mentioned earlier that for the least, the Contest Hall will make a return to the 4th generation games, unlike what was done in FRLG. The most noticeable place for the Contest in Johto to be located is West of the National Park where you will notice an oval or round like building on the map.

To tell you the truth about the Ilex Forest, I do believe it may be because of the real time format. If you notice, by the Celebi Shrine, the land and trees are in brighter color. However, in the second image of it, not only is it a bit darker than before, but the building itself has a slight red tint as though it was broad evening. So, I don't think that it is a matter of two different forests, but time relation. Though, the forest is still given a spookier look than before in my opinion. It is at least heavily detailed which is a plus for this location.
    90% that the Super Contest in HG/SS will be the same(or at least very similar) to the ones in DPP. Also the Contest Ribbons, I think they'll be the same like the ones in DPP.

Hmm... I'm thinking it's because of the time too.
    However the game's still not finalize yet,
    so there's still a possibility that this might be a color-scenery change...

Spoiler:

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    90% that the Super Contest in HG/SS will be the same(or at least very similar) to the ones in DPP. Also the Contest Ribbons, I think they'll be the same like the ones in DPP.

Hmm... I'm thinking it's because of the time too.
    However the game's still not finalize yet,
    so there's still a possibility that this might be a color-scenery change...

Spoiler:

Same here, the contests will more than likely be exactly the same as DPPt. Not to mention, if allowed they may also allow the Wireless Connection for contests between DPPt and HGSS if kept at the same format. Not to mention, when your partner Pokémon follows you, there will be certain times when they pick up a few items. So, with this being said some of those items can also be accessories for contests like stated by others.

You make a good point on the color variation. The best is that you show evidential proof to is as well. However, whether it be beta or not, I would hope it be kept as just time reference. The reason why I say this is because there has been no other closer sign to the different time periods within the game that show Morning, Evening, etc. I'm sure the game won't go backwards in format, but I prefer it to be different because of real time effect. Nevertheless, whether it remain brighter or darker for Ilex Forest, they both have a good appeal to me. Not to mention, keeping the cloud feature from Platinum was a great way of moving ahead rather than backtracking their steps like what might have been done in FRLG.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    Same here, the contests will more than likely be exactly the same as DPPt. Not to mention, if allowed they may also allow the Wireless Connection for contests between DPPt and HGSS if kept at the same format. Not to mention, when your partner Pokémon follows you, there will be certain times when they pick up a few items. So, with this being said some of those items can also be accessories for contests like stated by others.

You make a good point on the color variation. The best is that you show evidential proof to is as well. However, whether it be beta or not, I would hope it be kept as just time reference. The reason why I say this is because there has been no other closer sign to the different time periods within the game that show Morning, Evening, etc. I'm sure the game won't go backwards in format, but I prefer it to be different because of real time effect. Nevertheless, whether it remain brighter or darker for Ilex Forest, they both have a good appeal to me. Not to mention, keeping the cloud feature from Platinum was a great way of moving ahead rather than backtracking their steps like what might have been done in FRLG.

I'm more curious about the Contest if they're gonna be in the same format, I hope the acting contest in RSE will return, I just love it - the participants can deduce their opponents' points(each other), isn't it fun?...
    I also hope that there's WiFi Connection Pokemon Contest, since I was expecting they're gonna add it in Platinum, but it didn't happen at all...

Thank you. I agree with you. Speaking if the cloud feature, I think the ones in HG/SS are better than the ones in Platinum. [= But there's one thing I don't like - the Celebi Shrine, it look the same to the one in Celestic Town... Hopefully I will not see it again in the finalize version...

There's 99% that the Bug Catching Contest will be back, I'm kinda hoping that they'll make exclusive Ribbons for the Bug Catching Contest. (example: If you caught a Scyther in the Contest and won with it, it should be also awarded with Ribbon.)

I remember back in the days, when we breed Pokemon in Route 34 - we can see our Pokemon in the Daycare Center, since there are 493 OW sprites for Pokemon now, I think it's possible for this feature to return.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I'm more curious about the Contest if they're gonna be in the same format, I hope the acting contest in RSE will return, I just love it - the participants can deduce their opponents' points(each other), isn't it fun?...
    I also hope that there's WiFi Connection Pokemon Contest, since I was expecting they're gonna add it in Platinum, but it didn't happen at all...

Thank you. I agree with you. Speaking if the cloud feature, I think the ones in HG/SS are better than the ones in Platinum. [= But there's one thing I don't like - the Celebi Shrine, it look the same to the one in Celestic Town... Hopefully I will not see it again in the finalize version...

There's 99% that the Bug Catching Contest will be back, I'm kinda hoping that they'll make exclusive Ribbons for the Bug Catching Contest. (example: If you caught a Scyther in the Contest and won with it, it should be also awarded with Ribbon.)

I remember back in the days, when we breed Pokemon in Route 34 - we can see our Pokemon in the Daycare Center, since there are 493 OW sprites for Pokemon now, I think it's possible for this feature to return.

Yes, the deduction of points from RSE is what added an extra challenge in the original Pokémon Contests. It was something that got me both upset, yet satisfied with them. The reason why is because when you get to deduct points from the other contestants and use move combinations, then it is quite fun. However, when you lose the points and get your Pokémon too nervous to move, then it can get upsetting. Although it added to the fun of the game, I wouldn't expect those applications to come back if they allow HGSS Contests to be Compatible with DPPt Contests. As for the Wi-Fi access with Pokémon Contests in the game, one can only hope, because I think this will be a great step up for this side event.

Honestly, I do agree with you about the clouds within the new remakes. Unlike those in Platinum, I've noticed the ones here seem to be more spaced out rather than overly used. So, as good as it was in Platinum, it does seem as the Game Freak has stepped up the graphics and outlook of the game a bit more. As for the Shrine, a bit of difference would have been nice, however I can understand the similarity. Seeing as both are shrines to worship or stand for a specific Pokémon, then it makes sense to look quite similar, especially knowing the game is using the same tile format as DPPt. I don't expect many changes to be done to it though.

Bug Catching Contests is what made Gold, Silver, and Crystal a part of what they were. It were these small add-ins that slowly yet surely increased the quality of the game. Giving it a bit of difference to what we have now. So, bringing back the Bug Catching Contests would be a smart move for Game Freak as fans from the originals would be quite disappointed to see it removed. The ribbon idea however is quite a nice thought and I can see that working, but we'll see.

About the Day Care on Route 41 and having the ability to walk in next to them and see them, I find this very possible to happen. Like you have stated the use of all 493 OW sprites for each Pokémon raises this possibility. It is another small feature to the game that makes it even more worthwhile in the end. So, I definitely see this making a comeback, if not then it would be quite disappointing as well. Although, I'm sure more than likely it will be back.

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2022
    I hope we can enter The Silph Co. now, and the Pokémon Tower in Lavender Town. I hope there is a lot more to do in Kanto this time. I also hope that there will come more on Cinnibar Island. I hope they make a new part to =] something we havent seen yet ^^

Years
    Hmm, If they have been working on it for a long long time, then maybe there is a good chance that kanto has also been worked on.

Also, I'm guessing RSE and DPPT pokemon will be found in the wild, which means that it's ruining anime storyline XD

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    If bug catching area (BCA) is gone... It means there are a large number of pokemon that are unavailable in other areas. (I'm 90% sure most of the pokemon in the BCA are/were exclusive there)

They were not exclusive, but that was the only area in which we could find some Pokémon, like Scyther for example. I remember always going there constantly [on those certain days] seeking to catch a Scyther for my team and win. However, I'm not saying it should be removed, but if it were, then it wouldn't be hard to relocate those Pokémon to other areas.

I hope we can enter The Silph Co. now, and the Pokémon Tower in Lavender Town. I hope there is a lot more to do in Kanto this time. I also hope that there will come more on Cinnibar Island. I hope they make a new part to =] something we havent seen yet ^^

I couldn't agree with you more. Kanto needs to really be expanded this time to actually be worthy of being called a region in these games. Before, Kanto was very small with all the great areas from the area either closed off or shrunken. So, yes, if they can enlargen and allow travel to the older areas again, then I think the game will redeem a higher known name than before. A lot of people want things to be just like the original, however in a remake things need to be improved and with new games you move ahead and not stick in the past. So, I say Kanto should be played with until suitable for the game.

An idea I had for Cinnabar Islands [seeing as it was basically covered by the eruption of a volcano in the original GSC] is to make it something like Stark Mountain from the Sinnoh. I think an extra area to travel and taking use of this idea would make a great addition to the game

Hmm, If they have been working on it for a long long time, then maybe there is a good chance that kanto has also been worked on.

Also, I'm guessing RSE and DPPT pokemon will be found in the wild, which means that it's ruining anime storyline XD

More than likely Kanto will be brought in. Both Route 22 and Mt. Tohjo have all be seen within the new Johto map. So, I wouldn't be surprised to hear next this month about it being included. However, Kanto is where I would expect to see more of the Hoenn and/or Sinnoh Pokémon lurking around. More so Hoenn, as we have DPPt for most of the fourth generation Pokémon. However, I don't see how the inclusion of these Pokémon will ruin the anime. As FRLG also allowed Johto Pokémon in their game through the Sevii Islands afterwards.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years

2 different Ilex Forest,
    I have no idea for the ilex forest and if you check the Johto map you can see how goldenrod extended to a tower like building. Oh and the ribbon tab was in fr/lg as well. What you would need to search for is the contest move tab which isn't there.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Since they're allowing Pokemon to follow you, they should also show the actual Pokemon use any of the HM's/TM's (I know Headbutt was a useable TM). I'm sick of seeing the same ol' (as I call it) a rock surfing to where ever and a rock with wings flying you to another place as well

:t354:TG

Years
    It could be possible that contests will reappear. Look at how the moves and the stats are in the same tab. Maybe the ribbons appear on top and the contest moves will be on bottom? I could be wrong. Personally, I would like to see contests in this game. Though, I'd understand if they didn't add contests. I mean, why else would Jasmine travel all the way to Sinnoh to participate in a contest when she can just enter one in Johto? Unless, she beat the Master rank of every Johto contest... Hm... I'll wait until they have more info before getting too excited over it.

As for Ilex forest maybe it's showing the time of day? The top picture can be what it looks like in the morning?

Edit: I like Queen Boo's idea.

Back