• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help pls...

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2023
    Hey^^
    so after i worked a week on learning what i wanna hack, downloading the tools, setting everything up, learned scripting etc. i learned that decomp hacking is the superior method and i kinda scraped everything i learned in the last week (i tried it around 10 years ago and thought its still the same just with more tools).

Now to my problem:
    The whole day i tried to get into compiled hacking. But it seems that the steup is very complicated and changed like every year. so pls help me to see through these thing.

1. I dont rly know how i set up a rom. i saw 4 different tutorials from 4 different years and every tutorial uses different tools so wich is the easiest/best way? (the first way was with Cygwin (aparently) and in 2020 you need to have linux on your pc?)
    2. with wich tool do i actualy script? polyscript, cygwin, visual studio code, etc?
    3. do i realy need to use the linux setup to use decomp in its full potential?
    4. should i just change to rpg maker?
    5. can someone do me a favor and explain this to me over discord? it would be way easier for me xD (my discord id is: dDragonMoon#0409)

Thanks in advance^^

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
    Years
  • I see your question was related to decomps so I moved it to the correct area. Hoping someone can properly resolve your concerns.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • 1. I dont rly know how i set up a rom. i saw 4 different tutorials from 4 different years and every tutorial uses different tools so wich is the easiest/best way? (the first way was with Cygwin (aparently) and in 2020 you need to have linux on your pc?)
    There isn't an easiest way. The 3 environments that you can set up in order to build the decomps follow a very similar setup.
    You use either Cygwin or MSys2 if you're on Windows 8.1 or an older version of Windows.
    If you're on Windows 10 though, you have a better option available which is WSL.
    I wrote 3 different tutorials explaining how to build the decomps in these 3 environments, and they're all working perfectly fine.
    One for Cygwin, another one for MSys2 and another tutorial for WSL.
    2. with wich tool do i actualy script? polyscript, cygwin, visual studio code, etc?
    Unlike binary hacking, you don't need actual tools to modify or write scripts with the decomps.
    A text editor will suffice. The common suggestion is to use Notepad++.
    3. do i realy need to use the linux setup to use decomp in its full potential?
    What do you mean by "the Linux setup"?
    In any case, no, you don't need to use Linux as your OS in order to use these projects to their fullest potential.
    Usability is exactly the same no matter whether you use Windows or Linux.
    4. should i just change to rpg maker?
    If you think that's easier and better for you and your project, I don't see why you shouldn't.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2023
    Thanks very much^^
    with this all my questions for now are answered.

What do you mean by "the Linux setup"?

With that i meant the WSL setup. as i was going through all the different tutorials, most of the new ones said i should just use WSL and everyone linked to your tutorial on that. But since my PC is not win 10 im not able to use that and got frustrated because i thought this would be the only possibility to use decomp and was also very confused.

If you think that's easier and better for you and your project, I don't see why you shouldn't.

It would be a 100% easier for me yes but i realy want to do this project of mine as an rom hack because of a few friends of mine. they have no pc and would play them on an emulator on their phones^^. also i kinda prefer to play pokemon games on their real engines. it has some kind of nostalgie

Back