• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Here is a question to think about.

KejiBebi

aishiteru
    Years
    I don't think its possible for time to actually ever stop moving forward.
    I'm not saying its not possible, I just don't see how it would be. :o

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    I don't know enough about that stuff yet to say for sure, but I'm guessing no.

So here's another question. Let's say you're floating out in space, only moving in one direction. Is it possible to reverse your momentum and only go in the opposite direction, just using your body?

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
    Have you seen 2001: Space Odyssey? It would be a trip like none other.
    But, in all seriousness, either you'd create some black hole, or go forward. I dunno... I haven't seen "cosmos" in ages, but it is a very interesting question, that someday, I'd like to find the real answer to.

AaronOnPokemon

"So the story continues!"
    Years
    My theory is that if you are traveling greater than the speed of light you will not stop or start. Everything will stay the same for everyone, but the person or people that are traveling faster.

Lets say this, you have a person that is the same age as you. You where born at the same time, same date, same place etc. If you are going faster than the speed of light I think you would get older than that person. This is only because is you traveling at those speeds you will have to take in fourth dimensions. This will mean that the whole concept of time will be in the balance. So if you traveling at the speed you will create a time elapse causing you to make everything, for you, stop.

But I think this may happen :-
    i think that would be cool - traveling at the speed of light with everything slowing down
    but i think you might just like rip a hole in the universe and create a black hole of doom o:

My guess is that you will be pretty screwed :D

John-117

Jirachi lover
    Years
    Time travel

So everyone know what is time travel. Maybe some of you might know a physicist called Michio Kaku. I watched one of his video and he say having a spaceship that can travel in a very fast speed, it can slow down time. I don't really understand...one of his example is you travel in that spaceship far from Earth for 10 years, when you get back to Earth, it pasted 70 years. I want to know what you guys think and if you know more about it, welcome to post in here. :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Essentially this has to do with a law of physics - nothing can go faster than the speed of light. With this, it is assumed that nature has a few safeguards for this.

Imagine you have a train that is traveling at almost the speed of light. Very close to it. If you were inside that train, and were to run inside it, you would theoretically be running faster than the speed of light. (The train's speed + your running speed would surpass the speed of light) However, because nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, 'nature' stops you from doing so by slowing down time for you. Therefore, you would be going so slow you would not be able to reach the speed of light.

Since time is being slowed down for you, everything around you is 'speeding up'. 5 minutes of your time could be 1 hour 'outside'.

And thus the idea of easily traveling into the future is born - you just need something really, really fast.

This isn't really 'time travel' though - this is more along the concept of keeping yourself in a time capsule; preserving your state and letting time flow around you.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    Wouldn't be so great if you did that and found the Earth to be destroyed only a few years later.

There's a bigger problem for time travel than traveling faster than the speed of light. It's the fact that everything in the universe is constantly moving.

Due to the fact that the Earth is moving around the Sun and the Sun is moving in the Milky Way Galaxy and the Milky Way Galaxy is speeding through space... If you went just one second into the future, you'd be lucky if you were near Pluto.

So a destroyed Earth would be the least of your worries...

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013

There's a bigger problem for time travel than traveling faster than the speed of light. It's the fact that everything in the universe is constantly moving.

Due to the fact that the Earth is moving around the Sun and the Sun is moving in the Milky Way Galaxy and the Milky Way Galaxy is speeding through space... If you went just one second into the future, you'd be lucky if you were near Pluto.

I'd think that the fact that going backwards is still theoretically impossible (For all I know, at least).

Ayselipera

No traveling into the future for me. I think the world just keeps getting more boring year by year. A 70 year jump into extreme boredom would be torture. I rather go back to the past where I could just do my own thing. 1800's "wild west" America would be the most preferable.

Overall I really don't understand the theory of time travel. I have trouble viewing time as a thing that you can forward and reverse. I don't even view time as a thing. It's just a way to describe the passing of days and such.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    id change a few events in the past, kill a few people i shouldve, save a friend i let die, stop myself from doin the 3 worst mistakes...

time travel is a blessin& a curse. no one should wield such power.

Fujitsu

Now with leather seats!
    Years

That's not the way that time travel would, at least in theory, work. The basic principal of time travel is not blinking out of existence in your own time only to re-appear at the exact same spot at a certain time in the future, but instead have your own personal realization of time slow down. The fact remains that you will not suddenly lose gravitational pull towards the Earth just because you are time travelling.

Think of the time stream as a river. If you are in a canoe on said river, and you begin to paddle, you will go faster than the normal current of the river. If the river winds and does not follow a linear path, this does not mean that you are going to suddenly end up in a tree a kilometre away.

Fujitsu

Now with leather seats!
    Years
    At the rate we know science, we can't make time "speed up", only "slow down" to us, so we can technically only go into the "future".

The thing about going "into the future" is that you need a means to get there. As I said before, it's not like you blink out of existence and then re-appear in the future. You have to go through the time stream at whatever pace.

PokeWe

Yo.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2013
    I strongly believe in the theory that time doesn't exist. Theoretically, time is a concept used to measure lengths of time, created by us. Take away the concept and you just have one continuous span of events all taking place in the same moment. It sounds weird, but I have come to believe it. Therefore, with no time, traveling it would be impossible.

Back