• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hey, did you know that...?!?!

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Here is a thread where you can show everyone small things that you find are clever or interesting.

Here is an example. Today, after looking through pages on a popular Pokemon wiki, I came across this:
    It's the quiz section of the trick house and I've only just noticed that it is in the shape of a question amrk.

Additionally, the Emerald version is in the shape of two exclamation marks. I never noticed this until today. XD

So, post the small things that people may have missed. And remember, keep it Advanced Generation related. ;D

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Here is a thread where you can show everyone small things that you find are clever or interesting.

Here is an example. Today, after looking through pages on a popular Pokemon wiki, I came across this:
    It's the quiz section of the trick house and I've only just noticed that it is in the shape of a question amrk.

Additionally, the Emerald version is in the shape of two exclamation marks. I never noticed this until today. XD

So, post the small things that people may have missed. And remember, keep it Advanced Generation related. ;D

^OMG, that is freaking cool! Man, I love these games. Nearly 8 years since their original release, and I'm still finding secrets in them.

Uh...I can't remember the button(s) you press offhead (most likely Start or Select), but in double battles, you can make it so that your Pokemon's HP bars are replaced by the numerical value instead.

Also, you can switch the order of the moves in the standard battle screen, rather than waiting to switch them in the move selection screen outside of battle. :D

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    ^ Almost thought you were the same person double posting, lmao.

There is a Psychic below Cycling Road. I didn't know about it til 2008 or so when my brother showed me.

Years
    ^ That Psychic is my favorite trainer to face pretty much in the whole region.

Also, you can switch the order of the moves in the standard battle screen, rather than waiting to switch them in the move selection screen outside of battle. :D

This is actually how you changed the order of moves in Gen I, and I think in Gen II as well.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Jigglypuff is available in RSE. I bet not many people knew that.

Actually a lot of people probably knew that, there not hard to find, there found on the same route as Swellow.

"Not hard to find" my butt. It actually took me quite some time before I discovered that hidden patch of grass where Swellow and Jigglypuff are available. Plus, considering Jigglypuff is listed as "rare" on Bulbapedia and coupled with the fact that the tons of other Pokemon found on that route are common, not many people may have found it on their first playthrough and there's not really an incentive to stick around there.. Of course, now everyone pretty much knows due to Bulbapedia...
    Also, I don't think most people would decide to Surf there, due to HM03 only being usable with the 5th Badge (Balance; given by Norman). By that time, the player has found surfing locales far away from the mostly-uninteresting Route 115.

But anyway, it is a pretty nice encounter once you actually find out about Jigglypuff.

There is a Psychic below Cycling Road. I didn't know about it til 2008 or so when my brother showed me.

LOL; me too. And it's not even a Pokemon avatar, AFAIK.

I think I battled that Psychic at one point after exploring, but she is cleverly hidden, IMO.

This is actually how you changed the order of moves in Gen I, and I think in Gen II as well.

Really? Kudos to Game Freak, then. (though I wish they mentioned it in the instruction manual or something; I found that out purely by accident. >_>) That's actually the third most-recent RSE secret I discovered..coming before the Hikers in the Cable Car cutscene and those tile arrangements displayed in this thread's first post. For a long time, I thought the moves could only be changed while the player is in the overworld, outside of battle.)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I'm sure that no one cares about this, but: Hariyama has a higher catch rate than Makuhita (Hariyama's 200 compared to Makuhita's 180).

And one more thing:
    -Shellos and Gastrodon (2 Gen IV Pokemon) were originally made for Ruby/Sapphire, but they never made it in the final design.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years

Oh yeah, I remember that Psychic. :) I only knew about her because of the internet, and if it wasn't for that, then I probably never would have found her.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Did you know about this error in Erika's Fame Checker list in FR/LG?

A trainer named Lass LISA gives you the entry, but in the Fame Checker, it's credited as LOLA. There is no trainer named Lola at all in the Gym.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Did you know about this error in Erika's Fame Checker list in FR/LG?

A trainer named Lass LISA gives you the entry, but in the Fame Checker, it's credited as LOLA. There is no trainer named Lola at all in the Gym.

I've completed the Fame Checker and never even noticed this one. I remember Janine being mis-translated though.

Anyway, I found another error in Mossdeep City.

Located above the arrow is a border error. You know the grey(-ish) rocks? Half of one of them is missing (there is only the top half). It's only a small error, but still an error. ;)

Tonko

Curious Wanderer
    Years
    Did you know that Butterfree was supposed to evolve from Venonat, and Venomoth was supposed to evolve from Metapod?

Look at the shapes:

--->

and

--->

I wonder what happened, if they got mixed up in a file folder way back when, or something.

Last edited:

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    Even though Hoenn is the tropical region, it's champion/strongest trainer, Steven's, pokemon all have either a weakness to water, or their STAB type is not very effective against it. Just thought that was significant, even though everybody probably knew that, but some people might not have really noticed.

And did anyone here know that you can get Heracross in RSE? I didn't until recently.

And in Mt. Pyre (indoors), there is a gravestone that is a brighter, almost shinier looking than all the others. I've always wondered if it had any significance.

Cooker

As free as my hair
    Years
    Even though Hoenn is the tropical region, it's champion/strongest trainer, Steven's, pokemon all have either a weakness to water, or their STAB type is not very effective against it. Just thought that was significant, even though everybody probably knew that, but some people might not have really noticed.
    And did anyone here know that you can get Heracross in RSE? I didn't until recently.

And in Mt. Pyre (indoors), there is a gravestone that is a brighter, almost shinier looking than all the others. I've always wondered if it had any significance.
    Wallace is a Water trainer though. I mean maybe they noticed that in R/S and that's why they made the change in Emerald jkjk

How about that Azurill is Normal type. Well at least it took ME a while to figure that one out xP

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    Sometimes,very rarely, when you go up the cable car, you see people walking down the hill.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    Did you know that Girafarig, Ho-Oh, and Eevee are the only Pokemon that have names that are the same forwards and backwards?

Elise

ニャーニャー
    Years
    Did you know that Girafarig, Ho-Oh, and Eevee are the only Pokemon that have names that are the same forwards and backwards?

Holy-muffins! I totally never noticed that Girafarig was like that lol!

But I did know that Ekans is Snake backwards and Arbok is Kobra (Cobra) backwards. I feel like that is a well known fact, but I've always thought it was interesting :)

Back