• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hey, got some recommendations?

Years
  • Looking for more bands that are similar to those I already like, currently into:

Animal Collective, Arcade Fire, Broken Bells, The Decemberists, Fleet Foxes, Modest Mouse, Pixies, Radiohead, The Shins, Sublime, Weezer.
    I'm not really a big fan of any of those bands (I don't mind The Shins, I like post-In Rainbows Radiohead, Modest Mouse's first album and some Pixies, but not all their stuff), but I've got a friend with an almost identical music taste, so I'll name you a few bands he likes that I don't like:

The Drums
    Sleigh Bells
    No Age
    Autolux
    Best Coast

i just watched The Runaways and now i have a sudden fascination with all girl punk rock bands or at least punk bands with a female lead singer. does anyone have any recommendations in that area? particularly good new bands. i've been listening to old stuff like the runaways, obviously, joan jett, the distillers, garbage, but i would like some new stuff
    You may want to check out the Vivian Girls - not the same genre of punk and definitely very sappy compared to the type of punk-sounding bands you've been listening to, but here's a link to their song "I Believe In Nothing". Some of the songs by Sonic Youth have female vocals, and you might like the songs off Dirty - here's a link to the song "Drunken Butterfly".

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • If anyone like HUGE books with nice plots I recommend the Tunnels books. The first one is boring until you get to the middle. The other books are INSANITY! It's a Sci-Fi book that are all about 500 pages with small print. It's about an underground colony who believe topsoilers (people who live above ground) are evil. They believe they deserve to control the outer world. Styx are the main race and rule the colony. They are planning a scheme to put out a deadly virus and kill all topsoilers then take the outer crust for themselves.

Please read these books.

Anyone got good music recommendations? I really, REALLY like Owl City!

Maelstromk

The Dead Philospher
    Years
  • Looking for more bands that are similar to those I already like, currently into:

Animal Collective, Arcade Fire, Broken Bells, The Decemberists, Fleet Foxes, Modest Mouse, Pixies, Radiohead, The Shins, Sublime, Weezer.

I know quite a few people already responded, and most of these bands are more mainstream and easy to find, but it's worth a shot

Muse (start with the Shobiz Album),
    Julian Casablancas: Phazes for the Young (The Strokes Lead Singers Solo Album)
    Albert Hammond Jr. (also of the Strokes)
    Franz Fernidad
    The White Stripes
    and if your willing to branch out a bit
    Interpol

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Looking for some recommendations of films please!

I just finished watching Memento and it reminded me of how much I loved Inception and Shutter Island and I've decided I need to see some more of those sort of thriller films. So yeah, any films that aim to sort of confuse viewers similar to those three mentioned above?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Looking for some recommendations of films please!

I just finished watching Memento and it reminded me of how much I loved Inception and Shutter Island and I've decided I need to see some more of those sort of thriller films. So yeah, any films that aim to sort of confuse viewers similar to those three mentioned above?

If you're a Nolan fan, you'll probably like The Prestige just as much, if not more than, Memento and Inception - that's what most of my cine-literate friends do at least. If you want to go reeeeeally out there, there's always David Lynch. Mullholland Drive and Blue Velvet certainly spring to mind, but they really confuse the crap out of pretty much everyone.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    If you like kpop you should try looking at SHINee, they're one of the popular groups of the genre. Also try out A.N.Jell, but they're the only two I really know of since I don't listen to the genre much, but check them out at least, they may be of some use to you!

Ces soirees-la

Hello, Hello
    Years
  • Romeo & Juliet

Romeo & Juliet, one of Shakespeare's most famous plays.
    There have been remake after remake of this timeless story of two starstruck lovers caught between two warring families.
    I was wondering, do you now any that aren't actually R&J, but have the same theme.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Romeo & Juliet, one of Shakespeare's most famous plays.
    There have been remake after remake of this timeless story of two starstruck lovers caught between two warring families.
    I was wondering, do you now any that aren't actually R&J, but have the same theme.

West Side Story is one, and its fairly good. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but this version of the actual Romeo and Juliet is fairly good.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Ok Im not really looking for a recommendation right now. Though I do need some help with a movie /maybe a few books too. I want to watch/read them again, but I forgot the titles..

Movie:
    About Angels, and has 3 parts. This movie was on ABC
    It is about this kid, whos destiny is to heal fallen angels? so they can go back. ofcourse there are bad guys out there who wants to kill him, so he goes on th run. and he wants to find his dad also I think. He finds out his dad in a mountain type area and he goes in alone to a small room with those stained windows.
    ending spoiler:
    Spoiler:

so its pretty much a good angel vs bad angel type deal.

Books:
    One was about a person finding this injured hawk, and takes him in to release him again. and theirs this tree. sorry I cant remember much.
    Another was about this guy who works in a office, and suddenly goes into the future where the grass is red, there are some warroirs and strange creatures? idk haha. These are books i read in 6th grade. if shes still there ill try to ask her.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I'm looking for a series of books similar to the City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.

I quite enjoyed those books and I'm looking for something that is equally interesting or more interesting. Any suggestions would be nice! :D

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • This is gonna sound really weird but...

Are there any death metal bands that don't swear/sing about hell and crap? I love the music, but I don't swear myself, and as a Christian, I don't really care for what they're usually about.

I have my doubts, but I thought I'd ask anyway. (I'm cool with either English or Japanese btw.)

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Lol, true... that's why I said it was a weird question though. I love the sound of it... but hate the subject matter.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    Don't pay attention to the lyrics if you like the music

With Death Metal that's easy to do since you have to look up the lyrics on the internet or a CD pamphlet to understand what they're saying

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Any good J-rock bands similar to heidi. or Alice Nine.? Not like Gazaette or anything the similar.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    It came from the underground

Ok so i've been getting into underground or just plain not well known metal bands like Blade of the ripper, Dr.livingdead, Nucleador, and Fog of War. I was just wondering if anyone new any good underground metal bands.
    I like: Thrash, Death, Black, Malodic, christian death metal, progressive, power, symphonic stuff like that (I will also accept funk music).
    I dislike: any kind of "core" music unless it like heatbreed.

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    Ok so i've been getting into underground or just plain not well known metal bands like Blade of the ripper, Dr.livingdead, Nucleador, and Fog of War. I was just wondering if anyone new any good underground metal bands.
    I like: Thrash, Death, Black, Malodic, christian death metal, progressive, power, symphonic stuff like that (I will also accept funk music).
    I dislike: any kind of "core" music unless it like heatbreed.

Black (I hate symphonic/"pretty" elements in BM so these all have a phlegmy hate type sound): Orcustus, Vulture Lord, Teratism, Brenoritvrezorkre, Mørkriket, Weakling, Sacrilegious Impalement, Necromantia, Vultos Vociferos, Arkhon Infaustus, Black God, Drephjard, Funereal Moon, Merrimack, Galgeras, Dawn, Den Saakaldte (this one is melodic, derp), Somrak, Dom Dracul, Obscurus Advocam, Old, Partakrist, Prosatanicum, Wolvhammer, Mgla, Anu, Melkor, Ophiolatry, Urgehal (should be known, if not there you go), Morbosidad, Musta Kappeli, Sjenovik, Vlad Tepes, Vomit Church
    Actually, for BM, just go here, here, here, and there's one more that I can never remember the name of and the bookmark is on another hard drive. If I remember the blog I'll post it later, it's THAT great a resource.

Thrash: Waklevören, Blockade Runner, Sarcasm (Slovenia), Detente, Törr
    Death: Grotesque, Death Strike, Endless Disease, Impious Havoc, Impiety, Suture, Nausea, Massemord, Thanatos, Necrovore, Sadistik Exekution, Septic Death

Last edited:

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I'm looking for a series of books similar to the City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.

I quite enjoyed those books and I'm looking for something that is equally interesting or more interesting. Any suggestions would be nice! :D

I read the first one and the first half of the second one of that series. I used to be in to those types of books, but I'm not as much any more which is why I stopped reading it. Let me think... I know that Clare has come out with a new series called the Infernal Devices which is actually a prequel series, and a fourth book for the Mortal Instruments. You might want to look at Maximum ride, Missing, Skeleton Creek, the Red Pyramid, The Demon King, Virals, Everlost, and the Ranger's Apprentice.

Anyways, I'm looking for books that involve futuristic, dystopian societies such as The Giver, Unwind, and Life As We Knew It.

Last edited:
    Back