• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hey, got some recommendations?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
you might like Little Dragon. they don't sound much alike but the singer's got a very soulful voice and the music is every bit as catchy and creative, but the sound is a little more minimal and spacy. think you'd like Massive Attack's latest (Heligoland), they're kinda chill trip-hop and there's vocal diversity (because the album includes "guest" singers from other bands and such). neither are as bubbly as Janelle but they have a nice atmosphere you might enjoy.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Need another recommendation. I've become into history movies recently. The last movie I watched was Troy, and some other one [forgot its name]. Can anybody recommend me a good history movie? :D
Mongol, about the life of Ghengis Khan.
Che, about Che Guevera.
The Last of the Mohicans, about the French and Indian War.
For World War 2, Downfall.
The Passion of Christ, if you're into religion at all.
The Last King of Scotland, about Idi Amin, former dictator of Uganda.
The New World and 1492: Conquest of Paradise. The titles speaks for themselves.

Patchisou Yutohru said:
Does anyone have any music recommendations for artists and bands that sound like Janelle Monáe?
Nobody is as good as Janelle.

She featured on one of the tracks on Big Boi's debut album. Not sure if you would like that album, or this song, seeing as it's more like mainstream hip hop, but here's the track anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxV5Y6UufU8

Massacre.

sky's on fire again
Years
Does anyone have any good post hardcore bands besides Alesana, Escape the Fate, Senses Fail, and Thursday. As that's all I really listen to.

If you enjoy post-hardcore music, I'd highly recommend getting Escape the Fate's new self titled album, that came out just a few days ago. (Nov. 2nd, to be exact)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Does anyone have any good post hardcore bands besides Alesana, Escape the Fate, Senses Fail, and Thursday. As that's all I really listen to.

If you enjoy post-hardcore music, I'd highly recommend getting Escape the Fate's new self titled album, that came out just a few days ago. (Nov. 2nd, to be exact)
At the Drive-In
Drive Like Jehu
Fugazi
The Fall of Troy
Saosin
Glassjaw
mewithoutYou
The Receiving End of Sirens
These Arms Are Snakes
Refused
Unwound

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
Massacre. - Escape the Fate is garbage. But if you like post-hardcore, check out Sleeping With Sirens. They're really awesome.

If you like metalcore, try Motionless in White, Woe Is Me, A Bullet for Pretty Boy, Abandon All Ships, and Our Last Night.

Last edited:

moments.

quixotic
Years
Looking for some recommendations for movies please!
I saw Inception this year and loved it so much, easily one of my favourite movies! So what are some other movies similar to this one? I've got Shutter Island on the 'To Watch' list, but I'd like some other ones to watch too! i have too much free time now that exams are finished
Thanks a lot!

Years
i have too much free time now that exams are finished

As for your request I don't know too many similar movies. All I can suggest is The Matrix trilogy, which you've probably already seen, but it's worth suggesting anyway. If you're not interested in the tricky concepts you could try the Bourne trilogy, lots of action and good characters.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
oh kay. Im gonna try this out :P

Im almost done with these 2 books im reading. And im not sure what to read next. Heres what I like:
Percy Jackson & the Olypians
The Heros of Olympius^
The kane chronicals
On the run / Kidnapped
--
Other books i liked but dont exacly feel like reading:
The boxcar children - ok I might still read these. :)
the magic treehouse?
Gaurdians of ga'hoole - Im to book 6-7? but im kinda bored with them, sadly

I also have my moms books (crime/drama/mystery) but those are last resorts :P

Any Recommendations? (That word should be smaller -_-)

Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
Looking for a trilogy/series to read, mostly crime/mystery/action/adventure type. Books should be aimed at young adults or adults :)
Thanks

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023

Im almost done with these 2 books im reading. And im not sure what to read next. Heres what I like:
The Heros of Olympius^
The kane chronicals
On the run / Kidnapped
--
the magic treehouse?

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

Looking for a trilogy/series to read, mostly crime/mystery/action/adventure type. Books should be aimed at young adults or adults :)
Thanks

The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins - looks exactly like what you're looking for.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I just finished watching the film Salt starring Angelina Jolie. I intentionally got myself the Directors Cut of the film as I'm quite aware that I was not prepared to watch a film which was rated "PG13" with such striking themes. Director Phillip Noyce is also most likely best known for his direction of "The Bone Collector", which was another reason why I didn't want to see the totally conforming PG13 rated version. However, it doesn't differ much I'm sure.

I wasn't stricken with awe by this film to be honest, but it was a decent watch. While I was suspecting a more sophistication in the plot development of the film, I came to the conclusion that this was wishful thinking, given that the plot entails a US vs. Russia scenario. The biggest issue with the film is that the plot is so jumpy and agitated yet it's also tainted with the lack of realism. Speaking of which, Jolie's stunt double was quite notably a guy, the only way they could have differed her and her stunt double would be to change the colour of the double's skin, because it was painstakingly obvious, and for a movie with a big budget like this one, it was a little bit of an under sight to be honest. A lot of the scenes are just far too convenient, some of them aren't even possible. The start of the film needlessly has Jolie remove her underwear to cover a CCTV camera, and for the next 20 minutes, the viewer is aware she's not wearing underpants, even as she scales a building or two, this was quite ridiculous.

Despite the obvious quirks however, it was entertaining to say the least. Jolie is victim to a film of bad plot development but riddled with an amount of good acting that saves this one. She also does fantastic as the action heroine.

Reminded me of The Matrix, but without the fantasy. A good action, crime, thriller flick if you're looking for one, but don't be too enthusiastic about this film prior to watching it, if what you're looking for is a decent plot line.

6.8/10

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I just wanted to butt in and recommend The Goonies to whoever hasn't seen it. It's a classic that's not really a classic.. haha..

Also.. The Room.. to anyone who wants to test their limits on watching the worst movie ever made, but I want to warn that there is partial nudity in that one..
:C.. It is so bad it's funny..

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years

The Heros of Olympius^
The kane chronicals
On the run / Kidnapped
--
the magic treehouse?

If you haven't read them (unlikely as it may be) I definitely recommend Harry Potter, it's one of the best fantasy series' for all ages in the market today. Another awesome series is the Alcatraz series by Brandon Sanderson, the first book is Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I'm looking for some orchestal music, I have checked out various classical composers and I just find them to be far too dramatic. So I always end up listening to various film scores instead. I don't know a very large amount of composers, but if anyone knows one that matches my description then I'd be very grateful. I'm looking for something that's preferably slow paced, it could be relaxing or just anything that produces a great atmosphere. I'm open to listening to contemporary classical as well. Or even if it's not classical at all, just as long as it uses an orchestra in some way.

Some examples of what I mean:
This can be pretty dramatic in parts; but it's not over the top, and still quite slow paced through most of the song. So I'm open to things like this too. When I say I don't want it to be dramatic, I mean I don't want something like Ride of The Valkyries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7_2BCzTiOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LKl38ng9ns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84yBioZZwf4

Thank you in advance. I've been having a nightmare trying to find similar composers. :(
As you can see my only fall-back option is listening to film scores, lol.

Edit: Composers I already have in my library: Debussy, Erik Satie, Frédéric Chopin, Gustav Mahler, Dmitri Shotakovich, Beethoven, Mozart, Ludovico Einaudi, Max Richter.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
dangit ryan get angelo milli this is the last time ill suggest the 7 lbs soundtrack and if you dont listen you're really missing out!

yann tiersen too and i know you're not all big on sigur ros but you could try jonsi's solo album "go"

oh and olafur arnalds have i ever suggested that to you??? if i havent i should have, if you like max richter you'll likely enjoy this guy.

and andrew bird is kind of folky/orchestral just a sort of off-suggestion take it or leave it

Years
Need Help Remembering a Song (Heavy Metal)

Sorry for posting something like this, but I really didn't know where else to turn, and I know there are a lot of Heavy Metal listeners here on PC.

Anyway, I do not remember the song name or lyrics, but I do remember that I've heard it on the radio a few times a long time ago, which can help a little, seeing that the song would be popular enough to play on the radio, it's tempo is pretty slow with a pretty long solo at the end (the song itself is long), and I'm about 70% the song is by Iron Maiden. Finally, since I heard it on Q104.3, a radio station playing '70s and '80s Rock and Metal, it is around that era.

Thanks to anyone that may be able to help.

Back