• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hey, got some recommendations?

jasonresno

[fight through it]
Years
  • I just finished Cowboy Bebop and I'm looking for something similar but maybe with more romance in it. I really like the more serious anime that kind of have a sense of gravitas. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    all songs by kylie minogue, sarah mclachlan and evanescence

particulary 'when she loved me' by sarah mclachlan, an amazing song

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    If you like post-hardcore and don't really love screaming, but think it sounds best in moderation, check out Pierce the Veil.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well... They're a bit different, but I'd suggest Jinn.

I have a Jinn topic in the Japanese Entertainment section.

On thaaaaat note...

I like Jinn (Topic), K2G (But none of their other songs :/ It's just something about that song...) Xi Shua Shua (Yes, the version of that other song), anything by IOSYS (Musical style, mainly... I want something new), and The Pillows.

So, um, yeah. Any recommendations?
    Raion is a very good song. I'll have to look in more to Jinn.
    I'm very mainstream (I hate being it), but I heard Spoonman by Soundgarden on the radio this morning and brought back some memories. Very good song.

Ayselipera

I don't know if anyone here is very knowledgeable on this genre, but I'm going to ask anyways for the sake of it. So does anyone have any really good Westerns they would like to recommend? Westerns are my favorite kind of movie genre and I recently got my Netflix account back on track so I'd like to order some soon.

To get an idea of what kind of movies I'm talking about here are some listed below that I really enjoyed.

3:10 to Yuma
    Dances with Wolves
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
    The Cowboys

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well, it depends what sort of western you like...I'm not expert, but my brother likes westerns, as did my grandfather. Here are some titles I can think of.

3:10 to Yuma (I don't know which one you referred to, but there's the original and the modern remake).
    The Magnificent Seven ("Spaghetti Western", It's apparently one of the all-time greats).
    McClintock! (This one is a more comedy-style western. And yes, the exclamation mark is part of the title).
    The Searchers (Apparently this one's really good, although I can't remember in what way. My brother didn't like it, which must mean the plotline is quite heavy).
    Chisum (Random inclusion. I just remember it was the only western I ever liked. Don't know why...)
    Young Guns (Emilio Estevez film, I think based on the life of William Bonny or something)

Sorry, I'm no expert, but at least there's something to work on...

Are you in Britain? I doubt it, looking at the time you posted that, but on our television (I have freeview) there's always two westerns on during the day, more most weekends. There were literally hundreds of the damn things made, so you're bound to find some more you like.

I'm also here with a request, what would be the best Shinedown album to listen to? I'm into things like 30 Seconds to Mars, My Chemical Romance, and Muse, if that helps.

Years
  • I think this morning I found my new favorite song. I've always been a fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers but I've declined listening to most of the songs on Stadium Arcadium. Anyway, I chose my two favorites that a lot of people usually don't listen to.

Wet Sand
    She Looks To Me

Wet Sand is a very calm song talking about how Anthony (the lead singer) was in the '90s compared to today. It has great solo at the end. I would pay attention to the rythym guitar at the end of the song, which sounds beautiful.

She Looks To Me is also a calm song with an amazing chorus and harmony. Pay attention to the way the lyrics are sang. They sound like angels.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Too anyone who is into the post-hardcore genre, I recommend this band: Woe, Is Me

Seven members: Screamer, Clean vocalist, Guitarist, Guitarist, Bass, Drums, Keys/Screams. The clean vocalist, Tyler, is just absolutely amazing. On the album and live. Here's one of their songs in case you want to hear how they sound.

[ythd]v/UhQUyeQf01Q[/ythd]

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Can anyone recommend me some chillout/ambient trance/electronic? The likes of Gui Boratto, Lusine, Chicane are current favourites.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    Can anyone recommend me some chillout/electronic?]

Yes.

Four Tet.

Much much more. Check out the albums Rounds and There Is Love In You. You will not regret it.

Eskmo.

His Self-Titled album is very very good. Look into it.

Animal Collective.

Listen to Merriweather Post Pavilion, as it fits your description more, But if you like it you'll also love Strawberry Jam and their latest EP Fall Be Kind.

Other Bands to try:

LCD Soundsystem
    Yeasayer
    The xx
    Battles
    Errors
    Holy F*uck
    F*ck Buttons
    toe

Or perhaps even a bit of Kraftwerk or !!! (Chk Chk Chk)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    To anyone who likes IDM/drum & bass/trip-hop or just electronic music in general, check out Amon Tobin. He definitely deserves way more attention.
    Spoiler:

@moments: try these:
    For trance:
    Spoiler:

Alternatively, just search youtube for the kind of trance music you want. There are tons of decent playlists on there.

Spoiler:

This is just one of many great Faithless songs, they're pretty diverse so if you aren't particularly fond of this one, try out Insomnia, Miss U Less, See More or Salva Mea.

65daysofstatic
    Spoiler:

Or try out some chillwave, Memory Cassette is my favourite.
    Spoiler:

M83 are a good electronic/shoegaze band.
    Spoiler:

Aphex Twin, usually known for dance music, but his ambient work is great also.
    Spoiler:

An acquired taste I think, but maybe try some dark ambient too.
    Spoiler:

Massive Attack.
    Spoiler:

Tokimonsta.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    I'm not overwhelmingly familiar with post-rock, but Lent0 is pleasingly heavy and calming. Their stuff (or at least this album) is more similar to doom metal than anything else.

"Hadrons" by Lent0

If anyone likes how this sounds, I have TONS of recs in a similar vein.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • Looking for something similar to these:
    The Beggarman
    Drink the Night Away
    Whats the Rumpus
    Scalliwag
    Tell Me Ma
    ^all by Gaelic storm

so pretty much anything that sounds like Gaelic Storm. any help is appreciated

amd

Years
  • Looking for more bands that are similar to those I already like, currently into:

Animal Collective, Arcade Fire, Broken Bells, The Decemberists, Fleet Foxes, Modest Mouse, Pixies, Radiohead, The Shins, Sublime, Weezer.

ThatKidMike

yall fuccbois
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    Looking for more bands that are similar to those I already like, currently into:

Animal Collective, Arcade Fire, Broken Bells, The Decemberists, Fleet Foxes, Modest Mouse, Pixies, Radiohead, The Shins, Sublime, Weezer.

That's a pretty eclectic group of bands tbh. Try:

The Strokes (This should be done without even saying)
    Panda Bear (Animal Collective's frontman)
    Deerhunter (Halcyon Digest is an amazing album)
    Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti (Before Today was up there for best album of 2010)
    Wavves (Beach/Noise rock)
    Arctic Monkeys (I'm not a huge fan, but judging by your other faves, you might like them)
    Sonic Youth (One of my faves)

Honestly, I probably could have given you a better list, but I didn't feel like putting a huge amount of thought in, haha.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • i just watched The Runaways and now i have a sudden fascination with all girl punk rock bands or at least punk bands with a female lead singer. does anyone have any recommendations in that area? particularly good new bands. i've been listening to old stuff like the runaways, obviously, joan jett, the distillers, garbage, but i would like some new stuff

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • i just watched The Runaways and now i have a sudden fascination with all girl punk rock bands or at least punk bands with a female lead singer. does anyone have any recommendations in that area? particularly good new bands. i've been listening to old stuff like the runaways, obviously, joan jett, the distillers, garbage, but i would like some new stuff
    The Yeah Yeah Yeahs are probably the most mainstream and easiest to find of the female-fronted punk stuff. There's also The Raincoats (who aren't new, but came back after a hiatus in the '80s), The Avengers (same) and all-girl ones like Go Betty Go (currently on haitus after one of their members auditioned for American Idol unsuccessfully).

Back