• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hey...I know you...aren't you the President?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    https://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.c...cans-divided-on-presidents-health-care-plans/
    I apologize, I misspoke when I said nobody, but it is a very large group. Granted there is a slight upper hand for approval, but not everyone is informed on what a public option will do to the health care industry. Now I'm not saying that his whole plan isn't legitimate, but a public option has the potential to do more harm than good.
    My contention is with making an industry out of whether people live or die. What kind of screwed up system is that, anyway? I consider myself a capitalist at heart, but there are some limits, and included in those limits is anything relating to the life of a person. Police, healthcare, emergency response... it shouldn't just be one of these things that is government-controlled, it should be all of them. A person should not be sentenced to death because he can't afford to pay his doctors (and yes, this happens; while our health-care system currently treats immediate life-threatening injury, if you have a life-threatening disease and no insurance, you're out of luck).

However, I won't try to derail this discussion any further. I get a bit worked up when people say that public health-care is a bad idea; my parents are both dying because of mistakes present in the current health-care system.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    I'd shake my head at the (a) mindless idol worship or (b) mindless hatred that people would undoubtedly be flinging his way and continue going wherever I was going.
    ^This. Though I don't agree with his policies (*shot*) that doesn't make him a bad person. You should agree when warranted, and disagree when warranted. Both extremes are bad. If you agree with him unconditionally, you're a freak with not enough ideas of you're own. If you disagree unconditionally, you're too critical and close-minded, and you once again have no ideas of your own...

What makes you think that? The only people I've seen who oppose it are in two groups, the much larger who are largely influenced by scare tactics, and a much smaller group with legitimate reasons against it.
    Oh wow, really? A debate resulting from a thread about a simple real life event? Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Everything boils down to the desire to make everyone else think like you. >.> And saying that everyone who disagrees with you is being stimulated by scare tactics? Wow. Just wow...

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    I'd shake his hand. He was left with a mess, and people are hating on him for not fixing an 8 year f*ck up in 3 months. I salute him, he deserves it.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
    Finally, someone who sees the big picture here.

I'm sick and tired of CNN using Republicans, who, in their 8 years of term, turned their country (and arguably, the world) into a glossy little s#ithole, putting them on their "debates", and watching as they ignorantly point fingers at a man who is (arguably) doing everything he can to fix the mess those very same accusatory Republicans made. How dare they go on national TV and pretend they have any right to insult him.

Bleh. He's not a miracle man, and I laugh at anyone who thinks that he's doing a bad job; the economy is on an (albeit slow) uprise, last I checked.

But if Barack Obama drove through my city, I'd stand as far away as I could from the expected mob of fans while trying to get a good view of the car, knowing that he was inside it. (Though why he'd visit my city in the state it's in, I have no idea. :V)

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013

Oh wow, really? A debate resulting from a thread about a simple real life event? Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Everything boils down to the desire to make everyone else think like you. >.> And saying that everyone who disagrees with you is being stimulated by scare tactics? Wow. Just wow...

What? When did I say that? did you even read the entirety of my posts? or my other posts for that matter? Why must you go single out parts of what I say and make it as though thats all I said?

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
    trow a rock at him(and not because he is black because his Ideals are out of wack he is not in toche with the peoples wants and needs so dont even try to play the race card)

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Oh, to be young and naive to the ways of politicians, I miss those days...enjoy your ignorance while you can. :D
    Oh, to be slightly older than young and think you're any wiser than anyone else. Enjoy YOUR ignorance, fool. The true insight is that none of us is insightful. Now get off your high horse and go do something besides be a jerk. Nobody likes being talked down to.
    trow a rock at him(and not because he is black because his Ideals are out of wack he is not in toche with the peoples wants and needs so dont even try to play the race card)
    Violence solves everything. I'm sure your brilliantly rebellious act would suddenly inspire him to see things your way, and gain insights into how the people that disagree with him think. It wouldn't result in about fifty secret service agents giving you a cavity search or anything.

Yes, I am aware of the irony in this post. I don't care.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Oh, to be slightly older than young and think you're any wiser than anyone else. Enjoy YOUR ignorance, fool. The true insight is that none of us is insightful. Now get off your high horse and go do something besides be a jerk. Nobody likes being talked down to.

omg ur right. You talked down to me and I feel bad now. ;_;

...actually I'm used to receiving this kind of treatment whenever I express my political opinions around here. If you want proof, ask apple.SHAMPOO about our long rivalry. XD

The point is, you can't fall back on a stupid argument like "he cares for us when others don't" to defend a politician of any sort because that's what any politician will tell people just to get votes, and to believe it without question is simply naive. Sure, Obama may genuinely care what the people want, or he may just have put it up as a front to get elected. Unless you know him in person, you have no right to say that he does or doesn't. Similarly, one can argue that bush was a great president because he was a regular church-goer and a very spiritual person. >_<

That's why I hate it when I see people using a lame argument like that instead of looking at issues and current events to judge a president. :P

But I digress, as much fun as it if to go off-topic, I should desist and steer it back on course. XD

Last edited:

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    The point is, you can't fall back on a stupid argument like "he cares for us when others don't" to defend a politician of any sort because that's what any politician will tell people just to get votes, and to believe it without question is simply naive. Sure, Obama may genuinely care what the people want, or he may just have put it up as a front to get elected. Unless you know him in person, you have no right to say that he does or doesn't.
    ^This. There's really nothing for me to add, but it's true that any politician can just say that. You shouldn't believe it just because he said it. >.>

Years
    If I had the opportunity to meet the President, I would shake his hand... but in a situation like you described, I would probably just watch the motorcade go by... he does have places to be, after all.

As for the whole healthcare debate in this thread, I'm for either the public option to provide competition for the outrageous rates health insurers charge individuals (and I've seen how much worse my parents' healthcare coverage would be if they bought a plan as a family as opposed to getting it through either of their employers), or the forced segmentation of some of the providers that have monopolies on various states (I saw somewhere recently that one company provided 98% of the insured care in Alabama... but I'm not entirely sure if this is true or not) so as to create competition in these monopolized states.

With regards to the "for or against Obama" debate going on here, I'd have to take the side that he was handed an evolving disaster when he stepped into office, and is not solely responsible for the slow movement on stuff (some of the Democrats in office in Washington won by very narrow margins and have to walk a tightrope on policy as to not lose their borderline constituents), though Obama is by no means a super-human miracle worker, like it seems many of his supporters believe.

Back