• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hey Lydia...I mean, Mom!

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
  • All of Us, when we were younger, referred to our parents as "Mom" and "Dad" or some variant thereof. We did this because we didn't know better and we literally thought those were their real names. XD

As we get older, we wise up and learn that our parents have...normal names (for the most part). :o

The question for this thread is: How old were you when you learned what your parents' first names are? Have you ever referred to them by such? for the fun of it, does anyone have any weird names they call their parents (other than the usual variants of Mom or Dad or their first names)?

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • l always knew the first names of my parents, as far as I can remember. However, I still refer to them as "mum" or "dad" or, if referring to both, "my parents" because they taught me that it's wrong to use elders' real names as it's rude.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2010
    I honestly can't remember the first time I learned they had real names, but I imagine it was quite young. I doubt I ever really thought those were their real names anyway, since everone calls their parents mum and dad.

I've never called them anything else though, it'd just be weird. Other than calling her mummy in a sing song voice when I want something, anyway.

Ayselipera

I think I always knew their names. I don't remember a time when I didn't at least.

I usually call my parents Mum and Pop. Sometimes I say mother instead of mum when I'm being stupid. I call my dad by his first name a lot. I just think it's funny. Anyways I never say mom and dad it just doesn't fit.

Years
  • Like most people here, I have no idea when I learned my parent's real names.
    Also, I can't think of myself actually using these real names, it would just be weird, because I'm used to not doing so.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I've known their names at least since third grade, if not before. I still call them "Mom" and "Dad" because that's what I'm used to doing, though sometimes, I'll call them "Dawg," "Homes," or "G," which they do NOT like :P

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • As far back as I can remember. But I never called them by that. It's rude, you know. It's always 'Mom' or 'Dad' for me. : )

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I think I was like 4 when I knew my mom and dad's real names. But I still call them mom and dad.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I've known their names since I was... five or six, when I asked what their names were. I always knew they had names simply out of the premise that myself and everyone else do.
    They never instilled into me that it's rude to use their names... and how odd that it's apparently generally considered to be when they are one's closest people in life, I'd expect to be able to be fully casual around them whenever.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • I don't know when I found out my parents' names, but I still call them 'Mom' and 'Dad'. My brother of 23, almost 24, calls our mother 'Momma' and my dad 'Dad'. Really, to me, it feels awkward calling them by name.

Years
  • Ive always known their names. Even their middle names. But I always have called them
    Mother/Mom/Mommy and Father/Dad/Daddy. Sometimes when im mad, however, I call them by their first name, or call them "this kid" XD

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I feel like I've always known my parents by their real names, as far as I can recall. I must have been pretty young to know, because I honestly can't remember the age I learned their "normal" names other than mom or dad. I've never called them by their real names though, it's always been "mom" or "dad." It's only when I'm joking around with them in the house where I might refer to them as such, but on a daily name basis, it's the usual as most.

For weird names though, I don't believe I do nor ever did. I guess, their usual title as a parent just stuck to while as growing up.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    Im not sure when I realized my parents had names, but I've been calling my parents by their names for years now... I dont know why, I just do. lol. Some of my friends think it's weird but wuteves.

Sarah Paliner

:: Zetsubou no Carnival ::
    Years
  • My very Asian parents will hit me upside the head if I ever call them by their first names. x_x; I knew of my parent's name since...long ago. First grade or so, I believe, or a slight bit later.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I can't pinpoint exactly how old when I learned my parents' names, but it must've been during my last two years of elementary school. To this day, I still refer to them as 'Mom' and 'Dad'.

I occasionally referred to my dad by his first name, especially when I go to his office on weekends, etc., and his co-workers gawk at how I look just like a twenty-five-years-younger version of him. We usually respond to this by joking that we barely know eachother (reinforced by the fact that I call him by his first name). XD

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    As a safety precaution, my parents made me recite their names, phone numbers, our house address and also those of another trusted adult whenever they have free time to spend with me when I was about three.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I can't really remember not knowing that my parents have names. I'd imagine way way back in the early days of school there might've been some small piece of homework like "write the names of your parents"

That said though, I refer to them as "mom" and "dad". My parents refer to their parents as "mom" and "dad". They are my mom and dad, referring to them by their name seems weird.

Back