• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HG/SS Help Thread

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
  • Seeing the team in your sig, you should level up till your Jynx learns Ice Beam. That is great for the Dragonair's and just use your best attacks for Kingdra. Level up your team to atleast 35.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • What level should I be at for the battle against Clair? My current team is around Level 33 and I don't know whether to level up to 35 or go to 40 or even more after that.
    To be honest, you only need to be around the mid to high 30's. The early 40's is strong enough to beat the Elite Four. At least, for me it was. Your only problem with Clair will be her level 41 Kingdra, really. So if you can get to about level 38 you should be fine.

PunkySTAR

* Insert Witty Comment Here *
    Years
  • Can you re-battle gym leaders? I thought you could but when I went to do so they just chatted with me...
    I wanted to as a method of training...

darkpokemonfan

Dark Type Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2010
    "To use Pal Park, a player must transfer six Pokémon from a Generation III game of the same language as the Generation IV game using a Nintendo DS or DS Lite."

^ What exactly does "same language" mean here? As in format or just standard language? Is an EU version 3rd Gen able to work with a UK HG/SS in pal park?

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • Can you re-battle gym leaders? I thought you could but when I went to do so they just chatted with me...
    I wanted to as a method of training...
    You have to talk to them in certain places in certain days, and then call them in certain times, for them to appear re-battleable at the Dojo in Saffron.

Info on all of them (from serebii) here. ^_^

PunkySTAR

* Insert Witty Comment Here *
    Years
  • You have to talk to them in certain places in certain days, and then call them in certain times, for them to appear re-battleable at the Dojo in Saffron.

Info on all of them (from serebii) here. ^_^

Ah thanks so much for the info! and the link is really useful!

thanks again!
    :D

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    Just to check, but I encountered Raikou yesterday by complete accident (no searching or anything) after I defeated the Elite Four. Attempted to catch it on full health with a Quick Ball (you guessed right, it failed :D) and it fled. Now, I should be able to encounter it again at some point, right?

Stupid question, but just want to make sure.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • Just to check, but I encountered Raikou yesterday by complete accident (no searching or anything) after I defeated the Elite Four. Attempted to catch it on full health with a Quick Ball (you guessed right, it failed :D) and it fled. Now, I should be able to encounter it again at some point, right?

Stupid question, but just want to make sure.
    Yes you will. XD
    And Entei too. And later on Latias/Latios (depending on version).

You can find their locations on the PokéGear's Town Map.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Okay, so I've checked, and I still can't access the mountain block. What's more is that I've spent all day trying to hook a dratini with a good rod at the swamp area, but have had no luck?

Ayone care to shed to some light for me? Thanks.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
    Years
  • Okay, so I've checked, and I still can't access the mountain block. What's more is that I've spent all day trying to hook a dratini with a good rod at the swamp area, but have had no luck?

Ayone care to shed to some light for me? Thanks.

NOOOO...u won't get a dratini with a gold rod until u have placed 10 water objects...

Gaga For Gaga

Gaga's Right Hand Man
    Years
  • Just a quick question, with the pokewalker, can you trade over a pokemon, and when it is traded back, can it evolve.

For example, trade over a Haunter and when traded back, it evolves to Gengar?

Tyros

Professor Walnut: Shiny Expert
    Years
  • So, I'm trying to get Blue's phone number. I've had one of my Pokemon massaged once every day for the past five days with his sister. I'm pretty sure that Pokemon, and plenty of others on my team, are maxed on happiness.

And yet... The only thing she ever says to me is stuff about how she always has tea at that time. =/ Anyone know what's going wrong?

- Tyros

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
  • Foreign Pokemon from in-game don't work, I believe.

Foreign Pokemon aren't found... in-game...

Foreign Pokemon come from different language versions - completely different catridges, generally from different countries - and are programmed differently, as to deem them "foreign".

'has nothing to do with in-game. If you have a NA ENG version of HGSS, an NA FR version would be "foreign". So would the Japanese version, France version, Spanish version, etc.

You NEED to trade to get a "foreign" Pokemon.

Ugh, you guys completely misrepresented what I said.

Ninja: I posted a link to an earlier post of mine that explained that in-game "foreign" Pokémon don't work. That's what I was referring to.

Yusshin: I know what I'm talking about, and I'm pretty sure you completely misunderstand what we were talking about. In case you don't know, there are in fact "foreign" Pokémon in-game. A man in DPPt has a German Magikarp, and Lt. Surge has a French Pikachu that he gives you. However, if you checked my linked post, you would have seen that I said that while their surface information is foreign, the coding is not, and that breeding the in-game foreign Pokémon won't work as far as the Masuda Method goes. You seem to be heavy on the patronization, so I'd recommend you'd please read my earlier post again before you explain to me what foreign means.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • HG/SS Help Thread Upade

HG/SS Help Thread Update

Here's a reminder that to keep this thread clean. Meaning, people ask questions about the HG/SS games and others answer them. The "Thank you" responses are not necessary (if you must, post it with your question at the end). These just spam the thread more and leaves it cluttered - which is something we aren't looking for.

Also, ROM Questions are not allowed here either. If you look at our rules, you will see any discussion or questions on ROMs aren't meant for here. Instead, check the Emulation Section's sticky for their Help Thread on the HG/SS ROMs.

Anyway, that's basically the majority of it for this update. You may proceed with your questions and answers.

Thank you. (see, like that) =P

Last edited:

umbreon_4_life

aka Commander Mars
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2012
    Hmmm... Okay, so what are you supposed to do after you beat all of the Kanto gym leaders? Beat Red? My Pokemon aren't ready and I don't feel like training! Ugh what should I do? I'm so lazy and I don't know what to do!!! Help? I tried to go up Mt. Silver to get to Red, but I got lost... -_- Figures. Well, where's a good place to train for Red?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Hmmm... Okay, so what are you supposed to do after you beat all of the Kanto gym leaders? Beat Red? My Pokemon aren't ready and I don't feel like training! Ugh what should I do? I'm so lazy and I don't know what to do!!! Help? I tried to go up Mt. Silver to get to Red, but I got lost... -_- Figures. Well, where's a good place to train for Red?

^ is why it took me 130 hours to finally beat Red, because I was also way too lazy to train for him (and I beat him in the high sixties/seventies, yup).

There aren't many places to train, to be honest. There's the Pokemon at Mt. Silver, but they don't do too much good unless you don't mind grinding. Another option would be to gather all the Gym Leaders' phone numbers, and call them at the right time to battle 'em. Eventually, when you think you're at a high enough level, you can try to Elite Four (upgraded) for another training method, along with beating your Rival up Mondays and Wednesdays after you beat Claire and Lance with him in the Dragon's Den.

Back