• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HG/SS Help Thread

Kavii

forever my furret
Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    I have a question in scizor would you use x-scissor or u-turn. I use X-scissor in my scizor. So what's the difference and how good is u-turn? Let me know what your idea is.

U-Turn - in addition to being a base 70 (+ STAB) damage physical move - is a good scouting move and a good way for Scizor to lead into a battle, see who's there, and if it's someone he isn't going to like, he can turn around and switch with another Pokemon with the U-turn move while potentially dealing a lot of damage at base 70.

X-Scissor is a base 80 move, so it's stronger than U-turn, but on the other hand, you can't turn back around and switch with another Pokemon like U-turn allows. Also, X-Scissor simply deals base 80 (+ STAB) with no other effects.

So honestly, it depends on what you are wanting to do.

Years
  • I just caught a timid gastly on diamond. If I transfer it to heart gold will my nature still be timid. I know this is like a noob question, but I have to find out before I transfer it. Will everything be the same let me know thanks.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Yes, everything about it such as nature, gender, whether it is shiny or not, etc will stay the same when traded - only thing that will be reset is its happiness.

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2015
    Hey all,
    Just got my hands on SoulSilver (ROM unfourtunately), and am going to begin my first playthrough of the game soon. I'm a huge fan of gen II, and I was just wondering if someone could tell me a few things to look out for? Big changes, things that have stayed the same, easter eggs, new pokemon, systems, etc... Can't wait to playthrough, looks like it will be a lot of fun :)

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • Hey all,
    Just got my hands on SoulSilver (ROM unfourtunately), and am going to begin my first playthrough of the game soon. I'm a huge fan of gen II, and I was just wondering if someone could tell me a few things to look out for? Big changes, things that have stayed the same, easter eggs, new pokemon, systems, etc... Can't wait to playthrough, looks like it will be a lot of fun :)

Well, if you've played a fourth generation game, the game mechanics are the same as in DPPt--natures, EVs and IVs, and physical/special split are all there. There are a few new evos in the Pokedex, but aside from that, the GSC PokeDex is retained.

The plot remains the same aside from the Rocket Executives, which have been given separate identities (they all shared the same sprite in GSC). As far as new locations go, there's the Pokeathelon located near the National Park (in which you can participate in mini-games), the Platinum Battle Frontier returns where the Battle Tower was in Crystal, and there are two new routes and a brand new Safari Zone located west of Cianwood. There are several more differences in HGSS Kanto, but I'll let you discover those yourself. :p

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2015
    Well, if you've played a fourth generation game, the game mechanics are the same as in DPPt--natures, EVs and IVs, and physical/special split are all there. There are a few new evos in the Pokedex, but aside from that, the GSC PokeDex is retained.

The plot remains the same aside from the Rocket Executives, which have been given separate identities (they all shared the same sprite in GSC). As far as new locations go, there's the Pokeathelon located near the National Park (in which you can participate in mini-games), the Platinum Battle Frontier returns where the Battle Tower was in Crystal, and there are two new routes and a brand new Safari Zone located west of Cianwood. There are several more differences in HGSS Kanto, but I'll let you discover those yourself. :p

Thank you much for the explaination! I've not played a fourth gen before, but I believe I understand all those mechanics. The Physical/Special gen IV will be hard for me, since I'm so used to gen III's split haha. Sounds like not too much has changed (but more than FRLG), so I hopefully won't get lost like I so often do with a new game haha... Still I have an odd feeling I might be visiting this thread more than I should in the future haha.

Thanks again :)

TheUnown

Super Lurker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2015
    What happens if you catch a legendary or roaming Pokemon and then release it? Is it possible for them to reappear again or is it one of those things where you have to start over if you don't have action replay or something =S?

Ibis

flyin' with Lugia!
    Years
  • If you caught it, released it, DID NOT save the game and restarted your game pre-catch, the legendary will still be there (I think that one's obvious, but I just wanted to state it to make sure).

If you caught it, released it, DID save the game, the roaming legendary will NOT re-appear.

If you FAINTED it, beating the Elite Four will make the fainted legendary reappear.

I'm not quite sure why a fainted legendary will reappear whereas a released one will not; I always thought that a little odd.

Years
  • Can the guy at the pokemart hold more than one of the Crown Beasts from the Wi-fi event at the same time? I ask this because I'm picking them up for a friend but he'd rather I didn't go on his actual game file in case I break something (yea he's super paranoid).

Thanks in advance

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Yes, he can hold up to three at once, which is the number of wondercards you can hold at any one time. If you cannot download any more you may have to delete one, but make sure it is one that has already been collected (it will say on the card if it has been 'recieved' already or not).

Years
  • Today I went to gamestop and receive my celebi. I figure out how to delete the wonder card. At first I didn't know. I want to know if I delete celebi's wonder card will I be able to get 2 celebi in one game. So I can have as many celebi's as I wanted.

Ibis

flyin' with Lugia!
    Years
  • Today I went to gamestop and receive my celebi. I figure out how to delete the wonder card. At first I didn't know. I want to know if I delete celebi's wonder card will I be able to get 2 celebi in one game. So I can have as many celebi's as I wanted.

To my understanding, your game can only have one Celebi or one of a certain event Pokemon even if you collected the Celebi from the Green Man and deleted the previous Wonder Card. If you try collecting an event Pokemon you already collected, the game will tell you that you have already received that event Pokemon.

Example: I already collected Shiny Raikou from GameStop and when I logged into Wi-Fi later when the Shiny Beasts were being released again, I did Mystery Gift and found the Wonder Card for Raikou... but the game wouldn't let me keep it, saying I had already collected it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2011
    If anyone has a step by step instructions on how to EV train PM my with it please! Thank you!

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • If anyone has a step by step instructions on how to EV train PM my with it please! Thank you!

May as well answer it here, if no one PMs you.

Anyway, here's a step-by-step EV Training Guide for Diamond and Pearl, but it's still applicable to BW and the other 4th Generation games.

tl;dr: each Pokemon can gain a maximum of 510 EVs, and a maximum of 255 for each stat. 4 EVs = 1 point stat increase.

TheUnown

Super Lurker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2015
    Kind of a n00b question, but what happens after you've maxed out a Pokemon's EVs?

Thank you~

Back