• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HeartGold hack: HGSS Golden Edition

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 24, 2023
Hopefully I'm not asking for too much but I was just wondering if you could take a look at some of the movesets. If you want to stick to the most updated version that's fine but I just noticed that some of the pokemon get nerfed a bit because of the update to the most current movesets as oppose to sticking with the og gen4 movesets.
For example:
Heracross gets Brick Break at level 28 instead of 19 which means its not as good against Whitney (forced to use Rock smash instead) however earlier Megahorn is a valid tradeoff
Flaaffy gets discharge at level 38 instead of 31 which means it's stuck with thundershock unless something replaces electroball or you grind for Thunderbolt (easier to get though)
Quilava/Typhlosion gets lava plume at 42/43 instead of 35 which sucks when that's around the level you fight Jasmine iirc from when I played before (could grind for flamethrower) but earlier Eruption access is nice
I'm sure there's a few others but I just hope that this is something worth considering
Thanks for the work you've done however and I'm very excited to play especially because of the reusable TM's!

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 23, 2020
The hack works perfectly fine on my NO$GBA emulator, but is it compatible with save editors? I tried uploading the save to PKHeX but it wouldn't recognize it...

CadmiumRED

Johto Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
A few things I wanted to point out in the hack, which by the way is totally excellent so far (I made it to Ecruteak City and it's a blast playing this with the Level Curve implemented):

First, in Ecruteak City, there's an NPC at the top right hand side inside the Poke Mart that says: "My Eevee evolved into an Eevee. But my friend's Eevee turned into an Eevee. I wonder why? We both were raising our Eevee in the same way..." Shouldn't it have been Espeon and Umbreon in the text instead? I admit I had to look at this string of text at least 5 times before I realized it had to be a booboo of some sort in the hack.

Second, some of the battle mechanics I think strayed from the Gen 6/7 format that you were wanting to be in this.

1.) The Confusion status, it seems that it's still the higher chance of hurting yourself if confused as well as the opposing Pokémon; if I'm not mistaken, I believe in Gen 6/7 that the Confusion status was 25% chance of hurting yourself instead of 50%.
2.) Thunder Wave is still at 100% accuracy, which I'm pretty sure it was reduced to either 90 or 95% in Gen 7. On Thunder Wave, it can still Paralyze Electric-type Pokémon. Was this intentional to leave it like that and forgo the Gen 7 version of Thunder Wave?
3.) The Steel type.. why isn't it neutral to Dark-type attacks like Gen 6/7 standardized?

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to have Knock Off be a Move Tutor-learnable move? I remember that was a boon in Gen 7 to have that.
I'll post whatever else I can find that might seem off and hopefully it can be documented and taken into account.

*EDIT: I just got a phone call in the PokéGear from Kris and she says "You know, if you're headed over to Route 40000000000000000, you should ta with you and see what happens! You'll see something interesting. That's for sure! Click! ......"
It might would be smart to really double-check through the scripting the NPCs say in the game, because this is anything but normal.
*EDIT2: I was Surfing on the small pond in Ecruteak City and I had my Weepinbell at the start of my party, and I encountered a Poliwhirl. It froze the game.
*EDIT3: In the fight with Team Rocket Executive Archer, I had an Ampharos at the start in my party and Archer sent out Houndour as his first Pokemon. I was going to use Power Gem, and Houndour used Flamethrower. The instant Flamethrower finished its animation, it froze the game.

**Disregard EDIT2 and EDIT3, I think that was due to me not AP-patching the original ROM first. I had to do the AP-patch first to the clean original ROM, then re-apply the Golden Edition Level Curve patch to the AP-patched ROM, and all is well. Though I don't if it's just me, but when you beat the Elite Four, skip the end credits and get to the THE END screen, when you press Start and it fades to black, it stays that way and doesn't revert back to the sequence of turning on the game again and getting to the title screen. Was that part of original ROM, the hack, or is this a side-effect of it being AP-patched and having the Golden Edition Level Curve patch applied?

Other than that, the hack's been a major joy to play so far!

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
I've been playing this hack lately because I suddenly felt like replaying HGSS, and so far I've been having a blast!
I came here to report a very small glitch I just found. After the events in the Slowpoke Well, I asked Kurt to make me Poké Balls with all the different Apricorns I collected.
After that, I interacted with her granddaughter and she gave me his phone number, but then I spoke to Kurt himself and she came, asking me if I wanted to register his phone number even though I already had it.

Say, I do have a question to ask though, are there remarkable wild encounter changes?
I suspect not, since there doesn't seem to be a wild encounters list in the main post, but I don't lose anything by asking.

Nice work, BlazingMagmar!

CadmiumRED

Johto Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Say, I do have a question to ask though, are there remarkable wild encounter changes?
I suspect not, since there doesn't seem to be a wild encounters list in the main post, but I don't lose anything by asking.

If I'm not mistaken, I did encounter wild Electabuzz above Olivine City; I don't believe that was in that area in the original HGSS at all.

I also think making the changes to the new Pokémon wild encounter changes into the Pokédex would be a big help; if not that, at least a cheat sheet/chart of all the Pokemon and their locations in the wild/trades/evolutions would be great.
The attacks/moves/type-mechanics should be looked closer into from the previous requests I asked about, because some are still not updated to the standards of Gen 6/7.

So far, I'm in Kanto and have beaten Lt. Surge and Erika, and have taken the Cycling Road to Fuchsia City and the routes east of the city to gain more experience. A couple of the trainers on the way seemed to have teams that didn't look like they were touched upon with the level curve, but there was one trainer I saw on the dock area that had a level 77 Magikarp as his last Pokémon.. I honestly got a lol out of that one.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
If I'm not mistaken, I did encounter wild Electabuzz above Olivine City; I don't believe that was in that area in the original HGSS at all.

I also think making the changes to the new Pokémon wild encounter changes into the Pokédex would be a big help; if not that, at least a cheat sheet/chart of all the Pokemon and their locations in the wild/trades/evolutions would be great.
The attacks/moves/type-mechanics should be looked closer into from the previous requests I asked about, because some are still not updated to the standards of Gen 6/7.

So far, I'm in Kanto and have beaten Lt. Surge and Erika, and have taken the Cycling Road to Fuchsia City and the routes east of the city to gain more experience. A couple of the trainers on the way seemed to have teams that didn't look like they were touched upon with the level curve, but there was one trainer I saw on the dock area that had a level 77 Magikarp as his last Pokémon.. I honestly got a lol out of that one.

Hi sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for those text bugs you reported and they have been fixed.
The Confusion status cannot be changed at this time since hacking in gen4 is already limited.

As for the accuracy of thunder wave I kept it 100 since nuzzle does not exist in this gen, same reason why leech life is still 20 power.

As for the steel type thing, since there is no fairy type in my hack, i didn't see the point of it.

A new update with gen8 hybrid movesets will be comming soon.

CadmiumRED

Johto Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Not a problem, just glad you're still here. Would you be able to compile a wild/trade/evolutions cheat sheet/chart for this hack being the Pokédex hasn't been updated, or is the hack-specific Pokédex going to be part of the new update?

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Mar 30, 2020
Can someone please path the ROM and send it to me ,?
I tried everything to patch the game myself but it just don't seem to be working
Thanks in advance

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 8, 2020
Just wondering, how exactly is the level curve patch different? Thanks as always :) still following

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 24, 2022
This hack looks awesome. Can you capture every Pokemon in gen 4, just like in SacredGold?

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Oct 7, 2023
Great game but I am having a problem. I'm currently playing this game on twilight menu plus. However, it keeps freezing up on me on semi regular intervals, typically during a transition to black. It is usually tolerable but I sometimes have to repeat trainer battles because of this. Is there any way to fix this?

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Great game but I am having a problem. I'm currently playing this game on twilight menu plus. However, it keeps freezing up on me on semi regular intervals, typically during a transition to black. It is usually tolerable but I sometimes have to repeat trainer battles because of this. Is there any way to fix this?

The hack and even the original games are not reliably compatible with twilight. Better to use an emulator or cart.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 8, 2020
Is there a trade evolution in the game?
I can't do trades since emulators can't do that

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Idk if this is a problem with this hack or the emulator I'm using (Drastic on Android) but the screens are sometimes incorrect. The bottom screen should show the Pokemon since that is the touchscreen, but instead they are displayed on the top screen and I have to assume where they would be and touch in the area they would be if it were correct.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jan 20, 2023
So... Can you make this hackrom compatible with the (U) version please? I cant find an (E) version and the link in emuparadise it's gone

Mikachu

Veteren Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
So... Can you make this hackrom compatible with the (U) version please? I cant find an (E) version and the link in emuparadise it's gone

If I remember correctly, the one on romsmania does the trick. It's the European version. Just put Pokemon - HeartGold Version (v10) (E) into Google and it's like the second or third option. I'm have to check once I'm home but I'm pretty sure this is the one I've been using myself since Emuparadise was always super slow for me.

Back