• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hiding Under a Rock

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
  • So with almost one week left until Pokemon Sun and Moon... and with the thousands of pirates streaming the game on Twitch and Youtube... I've decided to stay away from social media incl. Youtube so I don't get spoiled any further from Pokemon SuMo (Damn Youtube Thumbnails spoiling stuff without regard... damn) Also limiting the exposure to the forums until it releases (I don't have anything against anyone I just wan't to limit my exposure of SuMo as much as possible, and you can't really escape off-hand spoilers now and again...

With that being said - Are you spoiling yourself for Pokemon SuMo? or like me; are you Hiding under a large solid mineral to be as pure for the game?

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I'm trying to hide from leaks, but every so often I get curious, or I try and look at some leaks, like Pokemon buffs and stuff and I run into other leaks. I am not giving up Youtube, Tumblr and facebook because of leaks, but trying to be careful to not run into any. I already sadly know some things but at least they were things already speculated about before, so it's not too bad.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Good luck hiding!
    On the other hand the leaks only made me far more excited!

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2016
    I've avoided anything related to story as I really want to experience that for myself seeing as they've switched up the formula to the point where I'm interested. The competitive battling side of me however, couldn't resist looking at base stats, movepools, etc of all the new Pokemon to get an idea of what's going to be viable and what isn't.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I think I'm open to the leaks since usually I don't mind spoilers (but hey, it's anyone's decision alright), even though I'm doing my best to not go too far as in spoiling the vital part of story and all, since it's something that I should discover myself when I played Sun and Moon.

Years
  • I'll admit that part of me is curious to see the leaks.
    I think that most of us just want to play the game now due to the constant news and advertising we've been receiving these several months.

However, I am against leaks in general as the game should be experienced with no information beforehand. Games, like movies, tv shows, and books, are things that made to be experienced freshly. For example, if you are a huge Harry Potter fan, I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted to be spoiled on things that happened in the final book.

Therefore, a part of me is angry to see people making videos or writing articles about the leaked info especially on Youtube where it comes up on my recommended videos page. You may not mind the leaks but there are tons of people who do not want to see them, people who want to experience the games with new, fresh eyes.
    At the same time, another part of me is pained to see the hard work of many designers and writers be carelessly and disrespectfully publicized before the official release date. This wasn't in their plan so why are some people not taking their thoughts and effort in mind? Would you want something you created to be spoiled days before it was supposed to be officially known?

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • Thankfully I don't spend a lot of time on Youtube or I think that the leaks might bother me more. I don't mind leaks on stats/moves/pokemon, etc., I'm mainly trying to avoid any and all information about the story because I want to get the full experience of the game the first time I play through it.

Years
  • Thankfully I don't spend a lot of time on Youtube or I think that the leaks might bother me more. I don't mind leaks on stats/moves/pokemon, etc., I'm mainly trying to avoid any and all information about the story because I want to get the full experience of the game the first time I play through it.

To me, even info on stats, moves, and Pokemon is just as important as info on the storyline. It is always exciting when playing a new Pokemon game using a Pokemon and finding out what moves it learns as it levels up. Or running into the grass and finding a new Pokemon that hadn't been shown before. Or seeing a Pokemon evolve that you didn't know it could evolve or not. That's part of what makes experiencing a new Pokemon game to be so wonderful.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • To me, even info on stats, moves, and Pokemon is just as important as info on the storyline. It is always exciting when playing a new Pokemon game using a Pokemon and finding out what moves it learns as it levels up. Or running into the grass and finding a new Pokemon that hadn't been shown before. Or seeing a Pokemon evolve that you didn't know it could evolve or not. That's part of what makes experiencing a new Pokemon game to be so wonderful.

That's totally understandable! I agree, there's definitely an excitement when it comes to finding new Pokemon & discovering their typing/moves/evolutions in the game. I haven't looked too in depth into any of the leaks that I have glanced at, so hopefully I haven't entirely spoiled all those things for myself. :P

Overall, I agree with you, it would be much nicer if people didn't leak and spoil things ahead of time. Avoiding social media for a whole week before the games release is a PITA, and I have no self control lol.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2017
    I've seen what I wanted to see, which is the new Pokemon. I'm content to wait until release day to discover the rest, so I'm avoiding/ignoring places where it's likely I'll encounter further spoilers. It's not particularly difficult to do.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years

I spend a lot of time on Youtube... It's usually tabbed out and on auto play while I work.

I remember an Extension for Chrome that blocks Star Wars VII spoilers... wish they had a Pokemon SuMo one so I'm not as paranoid...

Reactions: MKC
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I'm trying to keep away from story spoilers. I've had to obstruct the screen whenever I've had to use YouTube for something.

I've taken to browsing Smogon because I can read about stats & stat changes and competitive viability of Pokemon, which I don't mind spoiling.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    I'm trying to keep away from story spoilers. I've had to obstruct the screen whenever I've had to use YouTube for something.

I've taken to browsing Smogon because I can read about stats & stat changes and competitive viability of Pokemon, which I don't mind spoiling.

same... I don't mind knowing about pokemons and Stats and moves... but story spoilers suck.

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    As most people I don't mind stats/moveset spoilers, they really change nothing about the game to me, they are just random trivia that's nice to know. I can't lie saying I didn't look up Incineroar's moveset because I was curious. But that only applies to known/officially released pokemon. I've been avoiding all new pokemon leaked as much as I can, sadly YT thumbnails have spoiled quite some of the new mons, but at least I still don't know about their typing/names/stats/lore.

I'm also trying to avoid story spoilers as much as possible, but it is kind of hard when YT's autoplay RANDOMLY STARTS PLAYING MOON GAMEPLAY VIDEOS, I just want to listen to music YT, why do you do this to me.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • Yeeeaaaah... I'm trying really hard to stay away from leaks. I don't mind leaks revealing new Pokémon, stats and moves. I'm far more worried with leaks spoiling the story of the game, that's why I've tried to avoid every single leak (I only got a glimpse of the demo datamine, and haven't been spoiled much with the full game datamine). But the damn youtube thumbnails DON'T HELP. I already saw an image I didn't want to see :c Oh well, let's stay away from social media!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I just wonder why people would spoil story and lore of a game before it releases. Most everything else is ok, but why that?

I've thankfully managed to completely avoid story spoilers so far.....except for one thing, though I find it hard to believe (but at the same time, it's probably correct)

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I've avoided all the storyline spoilers (so far) and I intend to keep it that way. I'm fine with seeing the new Pokémon and their stats, but the storyline and character roles are the main things I'll try to avoid so that I'm not completely spoiled going into these games.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I'm on the whole other side of the spectrum. I love spoilers and learning everything I can about a game. This mostly came from a rather closeted upbringing where I knew the odds of me seeing or getting X was pretty much nill. So to compensate I'd look what X was about cause I had no reason not to. Being older and having an income I can see and get those things and I'v already gotten the mind set the spoilers will only increase my hype. So, yeah be it stats or story I really don't mind whats so ever learning about them before I get the game.

That being said, I won't play the Rom Hack.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    Well, for me, it depends on the spoiler itself. I mainly look forward to spoilers on the new Pokemon, their stats, movepool, etc, and especially one where I can get them. This is mainly because I always plan a team to use prior to playing the game, which is something I have done since Gen 5. Sadly, this did lead me to clicking on a video on where to find Alolan Meowth and one of the suggested videos decided to have a picture of the final battle against one of the evil teams and a plot spoiler in the title. I wish that wasn't so abundant.

Back