• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen History Repeating?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    While saying that they are the vocal minority has some credibility as you can easily look at the sales figures to see that to some extent, but saying that these are all in the "outgrew" crowd is wrong even though there is a lot of those types of the fans. From experience, a lot of the fans I am describing tend to like the spinoffs that were well made (eg. Pokemon Colosseum/XD, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon I and II, even Hyrule Warriors) and main series games that went out of their way to innovate (eg. major 3D Mario games including Sunshine, Ocarina of Time) simply because deviate from the standard formula and hate the main series games that downgraded or removed key design points and/or features already present in earlier games in the series (eg. entirety of Gen III and V Pokemon, Metroid Fusion, DS Zeldas and Skyward Sword) while keeping the same formula. These fans tend to be more mature, reasonable and less biased than the ones who simply outgrew their series regarding their hate.
    Then show me these "mature" fans of which you've speak. If it's somewhere like Reddit, then again, that's still the vocal minority.

Also, there is evidence that the so called "vocal minority" might be actually having an effect on the sales. X/Y are the lowest selling main Pokemon games in the series, doing worse than B/W and R/S did despite being more heavily advertised than B/W (from what I can recall anyway). There is evidence to suggest that the age demographic of the people that have been playing the games have changed from school children to teenagers/adults and have easy access to the internet. It is likely that this, compounded with the fallout from Gen V's hate and the Gen VI hate, is part of the reason for the drop in sales. OR/AS are doing well for remakes so far, but that can trail off badly like what happened with X/Y and the series still looks like it is in danger of dying in the next couple of generations if sales don't pick up due being the second consecutive generation of decline.
    Where on Earth did you get that information? Last time I heard, X/Y outsold B/W. Keep in mind that Gen VI is still new; it takes time for sales to increase like every Nintendo game. Also, Pokemon X/Y are the highest-rated games in the series so far. If it stayed the same as you've claimed, then the overall score would've been much lower.

Changing up the formula might have a huge drop in the sales numbers initially, but this is only temporary if you continue following that formula with further titles. This is demonstrated by the Super Mario Galaxy series, which is well loved by most the fanbase that hasn't grown out of Mario altogether. SMG 1 sold remarkably poorly for a main series game, at about 9mil sales compared to NSMB's 20mil, but then SMG 2 came along and drew much better sales figures, comparable to the rest of the main series titles.
    Show me the sales for SM64 and SMS, because comparing SMG to NSMB, both of which are completely different Mario titles, is like comparing apples to oranges. Of course 2D Mario games will outsold 3D Mario games.

Back