• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen HM06 Dive

jkls39

Gate Master
    Years
    Hi, Pokemon Fans! I just want to ask about the Hidden Machine Dive. What do you think of it? In battle, it's an awesome Pokemon skill but when you use it in the field, well, it's great, too, but you can only use it in one place: the Abyssal Ruins. Compared to other Pokemon versions, the HM was given great emphasis especially in Ruby/Sapphire Version.

Any opinions, guys? :)

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    I believe the return of Dive is pretty much a gimmick in B/W a sign of a Hoenn remake, you know reintroducing us to it and such. I do hope they go into a little more detail concerning the Abysmal Ruins in Gray.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Honestly, I don't see much purpose of Dive because for one, it can only be used in one place and for another thing, it's easy to predict out of competitively, because the opponent can always switch to something resistant to Water to take the attack. It's good for in-game purposes, though.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Dive has nothing new in Black and White, so let's all just discuss the HM rather than the attack.

I think it should be used in Route uhh... 18 iirc, mainly since that's the other route most reminiscent of Hoenn. But yeah I think it should be used outside of the ruins, but idk how else they could really apply it to whatever you're doing @ the route I mentioned.

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
    Years
    A certain hint for a R/S/E remake, I hope for 3DS. But, about the environment where it's used, it sucks that can be used only in that ruins out of Undella Town. I mean, back in Hoenn days, it was needed to get the 8th Gym Badge. Got it?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I feel like I was the only one that really appreciated that 3D view of the ruins before you went in...I kind of feel like that was one of the biggest reasons for even having it in, in the same way the bridges were mainly for 3D views.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    The little use of this HM is horrid! u_u I wish it wouldn't only be a hint towards an RS remake and become of more use within the game. If anything, I'd like for an event to require using Dive as Zet mentioned. Perhaps it would connect with the Abyssal Ruins and lead us to another third game hint. I do feel as if the HM should be used more towards the storyline though.

Drakio

The next youngster Joey!
    Years
    I don't really get how dive would be a sign of a remake, I know that dive was only in hoenn games, but I don't think that this necessarily means that there will be a remake. I always hated dive, I felt that it was useless in battle and it was a two turn attack that was not even that strong. It was kind of cool to go under water but not cool enough for it to be an HM so you can't delete it will out the move deleter. But this is how I feel, but I do hope for a remake of the Hoenn game, I just don't think that this is a sign of the remake.

jkls39

Gate Master
    Years
    A certain hint for a R/S/E remake, I hope for 3DS. But, about the environment where it's used, it sucks that can be used only in that ruins out of Undella Town. I mean, back in Hoenn days, it was needed to get the 8th Gym Badge. Got it?

Yeah, I kind of agree with you...I still don't get it why only in the Abyssal Ruins? I've already searched the whole Unova Region and I can't find any diving spots except the ruins. Huhu...so sad... T___T

I feel like I was the only one that really appreciated that 3D view of the ruins before you went in...I kind of feel like that was one of the biggest reasons for even having it in, in the same way the bridges were mainly for 3D views.

The diving view of the ruins is really great but the point of the HM is that it is only used in the ruins at Undella Town. That's the only use of the HM in the field.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2012
    I always though Dive was a really great idea, but really poor execution. Even in R/S, it seems like an "optional" HM, like it wasn't fully integrated into the story the way Cut or the others were. But I think it has the potential to be really cool, and if they bring it back in a remake, I'm sure they'll do it right. I think it's presence in B/W was just a harbinger of things to come.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    I wish it could be used in other places besides Undella Bay. There are plenty of other water routes in this game, like that one to the left of Nuvema town.

jkls39

Gate Master
    Years
    That's exactly the point. The only purpose of the Abyssal Ruins is that you can get a lot of items to sell with and the plates. That's it. I'm kind of disappointed but it's fine...I guess Pokemon B/W made the HM a "harbringer of things to come" after all as Payday says.

nekohime

Neko of the Jotho
    Years
    • Age 29
    • WI
    • Seen Nov 2, 2011
    yeah there arnt many places to use it in PM Black it seems, or atlast I havent found them yet

jkls39

Gate Master
    Years
    Well, actually, the HM is only accessible in the Abyssal Ruins. If you're going to Route 17, there's nothing in there but fast current of flowing water which is like a maze already.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
    I think Dive points to an RSE remake becuase they need to encode the same code from the main games to the remakes (if there are any) and Dive seems like to fulfill no purpose in the game.

jkls39

Gate Master
    Years
    I think Dive points to an RSE remake becuase they need to encode the same code from the main games to the remakes (if there are any) and Dive seems like to fulfill no purpose in the game.

I really don't understand... Why just a remake? So you mean the purpose of Dive is just to show that B/W has also the HM like the other generations of Pokemon? I'm so confused now. >.<

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I think what he means is that, it may be a sign of a remake, but that's definitely not that, it may lead to a certain event as what as the members above are trying to point out or probably other things. :'3

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I quite enjoyed the fact the brought the HM back for these games, even if it doesn't hold a very big part at all. It just reminds me a whole lot of Hoenn, which is my favourite region. I would they could of expanded on them a bit more, of course the ruins were great, but there isn't really much to them other than the items you find, they could have put a Pokémon in there or something, like Manaphy. :P

jkls39

Gate Master
    Years
    I quite enjoyed the fact the brought the HM back for these games, even if it doesn't hold a very big part at all. It just reminds me a whole lot of Hoenn, which is my favourite region. I would they could of expanded on them a bit more, of course the ruins were great, but there isn't really much to them other than the items you find, they could have put a Pokémon in there or something, like Manaphy. :P

Yeah, I agree with you there. They could have just put at least other Pokemons from other generations that were underwater. Oh, I miss Red/Sapphire days! T___T

Back