• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [HotM October 2009] Pokémon ToxicPurple (Team Rocket hack)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
Years
  • I had some ideas one is the V.S. Seeker could become the Team Rocket Emblem. Think about it you show a team rocket agent the Team Rocket Emblem they know you are a team rocket member and heal your Pokemon. If you show it to a trainer or the poilce they will want to battle you (if you didn't beat up there Pokemon too bad last time).

Also I think this would be hard to do but Team Rocket always uses certain Pokemon, maybe you could have a Rocket Rating, which is based on how intimidating your team looks. Here was what I was thinking give each Pokemon a number from 2 to -2. Something like Houndoom 2, Ecans 1, Pidgeot 0, Chansey -1 (It's rare but cute) and Jiggleypuff -2. Then for your current party you add up all the Rocket Ratings to get your Party Rating, you could make a person who rates your team and make them say diffrent things for diffrent Ratings. If the Rater thinks you are strong (i.e. all 2's) they battle you and give you a prize if you win.

I'd actually thought of something like that Team Rocket Emblem idea: you'd need some kind of key item that you can show to people, and if they're Rocket Operatives they'll say so and let you heal your Pokémon, if they're not they battle you. So yeah, might use the Vs Seeker for that purpose, if I can find a good way how. Since the Vs Seeker usually functions so that you have to battle a trainer first before it even does anything, I don't know how much it would take to teach it to activate a battle. We shall see, though.

I really like that second idea, it'd be an interesting sidequesty thing. I agree with machomuu, though, that it would take a lot of flags. Maybe instead of rating all six, he could just rate the first one in your party? That'd reduce the number of flags required. Or, it could borrow from the happiness rating, and you get praise/rewards for your Pokémon having a low happiness score. Either way, rating all six would involve a LOT of flags.

But yeah, there should be some kind of Rater of something.

ckret2

Years
  • Yo.

We're in Progressing Hacks. :D

To celebrate, I guess I'll show the trainer sprites for the male & female protagonists and the rival/partner. (They're not actually this big; I'm just used to seeing sprites at 200% size on VBA, so I saved them twice as big as they really are.) Ta-da:

[HotM October 2009] Pokémon ToxicPurple (Team Rocket hack)

Now I just need to figure out how to get them into the ROM with an uncooperative Mac. Eheheh.

As a bonus, here's a minor character that'll be showing up in the Johto half of the game:

[HotM October 2009] Pokémon ToxicPurple (Team Rocket hack)

Guess who? :P

(For people who don't like her, don't worry, I'm not going anywhere near following the anime for her story. It's a bit too sappy. And by "sappy" I mean "so sugary-sweet it gives me cavities." For people who DO like her... I'm still not following the anime.)

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    *feels stupid*
    I honestly had no idea for a while, but to save my dignity from dying anymore than it has, I guess it must be ... Bugsy?
    *feels speshul*
    Anyways, the sprites look fantastic out of game, I just hope they look as good in game. I'm always here to help.
    Good luck!

ckret2

Years
  • *feels stupid*
    I honestly had no idea for a while, but to save my dignity from dying anymore than it has, I guess it must be ... Bugsy?
    *feels speshul*
    Anyways, the sprites look fantastic out of game, I just hope they look as good in game. I'm always here to help.
    Good luck!

XD No, not Bugsy. This is Amber, an anime-exclusive character from a ten-minute short that was the original, extended intro to the Japanese version of "Mewtwo Strikes Back," and finally made it into English on video with "Mewtwo Returns." A really obscure character, so probably most people won't know of her. She has the unique distinction of getting Mewtwo to act like a wide-eyed, innocent child--but don't hold that against her, the girl has died at least twice already (blame low-quality cloning), I think we can cut her a little slack. In ToxicPurple, she will most certainly not be getting Mewtwo to go mushy any time soon. To some extent, she's one of his victims.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2016
    WOW! One of the most amazing storylines ever and completely original and sounds actually fun to play.

This is one of the FEW hacks I'm going to be watching out for. Man, this hack is lookin awesome!

ckret2

Years
  • WOW! One of the most amazing storylines ever and completely original and sounds actually fun to play.

This is one of the FEW hacks I'm going to be watching out for. Man, this hack is lookin awesome!

Thanks, I appreciate the support. :D

Do you need a beta tester? (Just asking, I need something to do!) I'd be willing to help with this great hack.

At this point, ToxicPurple doesn't need a beta tester. I'll keep you in mind when we reach that phase, though.

By the way, you didn't need to post here and PM me as well. I've got this thread subscribed, so I get email notifications both for any post on the ToxicPurple thread and for any PMs I receive. You can reach me either way.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    The starters should be Ekans, Zubat, and Rattata/Koffing

ckret2

Years
  • The starters should be Ekans, Zubat, and Rattata/Koffing

Those are typical Rocket Pokémon, true, but a little cliche. And most Grunts don't have Ekans or Koffing, although Rattata and Zubat are common; considering that they're much better than Rattata or Zubat, if they were regular Rocket starters, more Grunts would probably use them.

Your "official" starter is going to be a Rattata. However, pretty soon, you'll be able to choose a different Pokémon to steal from a kid in Saffron; the choices won't be traditional Rocket Pokémon, but if Rocket Grunts only stole Pokémon that fit Team Rocket's image, they wouldn't be stealing very much. I figure stealing a different "starter" is a way to make up for the horribleness that is Rattata, and anyway, it introduces the concept of stealing Pokémon early on in the game.

Sounds amazing. How do you make a game like that? Do you use a specific creator??? Help!!!!

Nope, all I'm using so far is AdvanceMap for the mapping, XSE and AdvanceText for the scripting, and A-Trainer and Overworld Editor RE for, obviously, trainers and overworlds. You can find all those tools in the Toolbox forum. If you want to make a hack, I suggest getting some of those tools. (You might want to start off with AdvanceMap and maybe XSE, since all the others are for more specific little details. Get the hang of the big important ones before using the ones for little things.) Check out some tutorials before you try to use them.

The rest is just getting an idea and then figuring out how to do it with the tools you have.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2013
    hack looks awesome, i hope you dont quit

looking forward to some more screenies

ckret2

Years
  • huh....i cant wait to play thiz great hack...keep ur godlike work...hehe^^

Thank you very much! I'll do what I can.

hack looks awesome, i hope you dont quit

looking forward to some more screenies

I certainly don't plan on quitting; if the workload ever gets to be too much, I'll say so, and start delegating more work to other people. (And then I'll micromanage them until they go insane, most likely. So let's hope the workload doesn't become too much.)

I'll do one better than screenshots. I found a program that records video on Macs, so I've got the first eight-ish minutes of the game recorded and... ALMOST ready to show. YouTube is taking forever to upload the video. (This is the first YouTube video I've ever posted; how long does it usually take to get a vid uploaded? Maybe my connection is just slow, heh.)

:O looks like a decent Team Rocket game but why don't you make Zubat another Starter?
    coz that is also a Grunts pokemon

come on man just a rattata why not an... uh... hold on... spearow, evee, and magby

I could give some grand and logical explanation like "I thought that it was more likely they would receive a Rattata and any Rockets with Zubat probably caught them because they work in Mt. Moon a lot etc etc etc..." But the real reason is, "I thought Rattata was funnier." Honestly, any Pokémon that Team Rocket own are probably Pokémon they had to go out and catch themselves, whatever they owned before they joined--which is why their Pokémon are the kind you find really easily, like Rattata, Zubat, Sandshrew, etc. The fact that they get a starter in the first place is probably slightly unrealistic, and if I'd thought of it I probably would have appropriated the Old Man Catches Weedle script, changed it to Some Grunt Catches Rattata, and had him give the Rattata to you. But enough rambling on technicalities.

As to why not Spearow, Eevee, and Magby: because no Rocket, either Grunt or Scientist, has ever used Spearow/Fearow, Eevee/____eon, or Magby/Magmar. At least not in the games. Whatever the starter is, I think it should be something that many Rockets have. At the beginning you're nobody special, just a Grunt on the first day of the job--you haven't even met the Boss before--and they're not going to hand out rare Pokémon to some newbie who might not last a week when they could sell that Pokémon for a very nice profit. You can catch/steal any other Pokémon you want later.

If anyone's really desperate for a Zubat, Rock Tunnel is right north of Lavender Town, and you'll be able to go there soon after beating the mother Marowak. In addition, I'm going to be adding Zubat as a wild Pokémon in the higher levels of Pokémon Tower, because bats and ghosts just go together. (And because, as a Rocket Grunt, you really should have access to wild Zubat early on. I want to make it easy to catch typical Rocket Pokémon early in the game, in case anyone wants to be a purist and go through the game using only Pokémon that Team Rocket uses, as a challenge. I might do that myself...) Spearow is available in the first route, Eevee and Magby/Magmar won't be for a while.

For those who are interested, I've figured out how to remove the necessity for the Cut HM, and now just need to appropriate and rename a Key Item for the purpose. Possibly the S. S. Anne ticket, since you won't be able to go on the S. S. Anne. It sets sail before you ever get to Vermilion City, which will make it easy for you to reach the Mew hidden beneath the truck. ... Yes, seriously. Or maybe the Bike Voucher will be renamed, since you don't need it. You just steal your Bicycle.

The video is over half loaded now. Expect it up sometime soon.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
  • This seems like a really interesting hack, which I'll definitely be keeping my eyes on. I know it will probably be quite a while, but I can't wait till I get my hands on that rattata and start stealing myself some pokémon.

Oh, and about Red's team. There's no point in giving him a team with well thought out movesets like in a wi-fi team, since the game's AI really isn't that great. You're probably best keeping the team you've got for him, and giving them powerful movesets, with high powered moves that have decent amounts of PP, preferrably those that give a STAB bonus, and throw in moves like double team alot to make him annoying, as well as a decent stock of items, and making the level gap a bit higher.

ckret2

Years
  • We have a video now!!

This seems like a really interesting hack, which I'll definitely be keeping my eyes on. I know it will probably be quite a while, but I can't wait till I get my hands on that rattata and start stealing myself some pokémon.

Oh, and about Red's team. There's no point in giving him a team with well thought out movesets like in a wi-fi team, since the game's AI really isn't that great. You're probably best keeping the team you've got for him, and giving them powerful movesets, with high powered moves that have decent amounts of PP, preferrably those that give a STAB bonus, and throw in moves like double team alot to make him annoying, as well as a decent stock of items, and making the level gap a bit higher.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think giving him a competitive team would be that good an idea, since the AI wouldn't have a clue what to do with it, and you can't assign EVs, etc. I still do need to edit the team, though, since having a Water and a Water/Rock on the same team leaves it vulnerable to Electric and Grass, without a single Pokémon on the team with a STAB against either of those types. Maybe I'll switch out Umbreon for Flareon. And that leaves a Psychic vulnerability. Dang.

I'll work on it.

More importantly, we have a video:

Spoiler:

Starting with the "how to play the GBA" tutorial, since I find my edits amusing for some reason. Unfortunately, there's no sound, because the recorder I found doesn't do sound. Rats.

The graphics in the intro haven't been edited yet, the backsprites for the hero(ine) haven't been edited yet, and the OW for the rival isn't finished, so sometimes he'll randomly turn into an orange-haired Gary when walking right or left. Other than that, though, this is pretty close to the final version for the intro.

I'll be adding this to the first post.

Last edited:

MegaMaccer

If a tree falls in a forest
    Years
  • This is one of those awesome hacks that just comes out of nowhere, and BANG! its already a winner ^^
    Awesome job with this so far, I can see this coming a very, very long way in the hacking world. Keep it up ^^

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back