• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How are you going to play?

Years
  • It's a question we all ask when we are getting a new Pokemon game, how will you play the game?

Sun & Moon here is no exception to continuing the many different ways people play Pokemon, whether it'd be a standard playthrough, going in blind not knowing what to expect, Nuzlockes and other types of challenges, and so on. So, that said how are you going to play Sun & Moon?

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    As much as I try to avoid the news, I'm friends with a lot of Pokémon fans so there's no way for me to hide from it. So like always, I see the official news and that's it. I may peruse the "leaks" but most of them turn out to be fake, and even the "true" ones are never 100% accurate so only if they interest me to I look into them. Leaks about the story, though, I never look into. Ever. That I need to only be exposed to what is officially revealed.

While playing, I just pick Pokémon I like and use them. I kind of try to "plan out" my team in advance but there's always something that happens to change who I use--which is a good thing! It adds some level of unexpectedness and excitement.

So basically, my usual playthrough.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Towards the release date I'm going to try to refrain from looking at spoilers. Not only do the games tend to leak a couple of days early, being in Europe we're an extra 5 days behind. Some people can even rush through the game in a matter of hours. :x

When I actually do get my hands on the game, I'm really going to try and take it slow. I want to appreciate the surroundings, colours and everything else that the new Region has to offer. Another goal I want to set myself is to try and capture all the Pokemon available in each area, that's something I try to do but never follow through with!

Years
  • I'm likely going to do a standard playthrough when I get the game, and since I'm one of the many non-European nations that releases on the 18th it means I'll get to know what else has been revealed in advance since I likely will have to get the games for Christmas again.

I always like to know what to expect, so that I can plan my team a little better. Maybe even watching a Let's Play or two just to still keep me motivated until I eventually get my copies.

GMeister

Poke Maniac
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2020
    I think this guideline which I'm going to use are suitable for those who seeks for challenges.

1. Avoid all spoilers, especially 1 week before the release date.
    2. Use only the new Alola Pokemon (Alola form are not included) and avoid using Pokemon you have used before, since you know how the Pokemon work and their move-sets.
    3. Battle the Trial Captains, Totems and Kahunas by using only 3 Pokemon. The rest of you party must be kept in a PC storage before the battle.
    4. If you can, avoid using recovery items during battle except held items.
    5. Lastly, no Exp Share or Lucky Egg until you end the main story.

RaiderzEX

Soar we shall, to places far beyond
    Years
  • Well, for me I'll be doing something I started doing when playing Pokemon recently. I'll be playing in Japanese, which I think should be challenging enough, also serves as practice for me

sCam

Killing is a pleasure
    Years
    • ny
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    Get me a weavile and Umbreon and I'm good to go. I like going through the story not knowing anything about it, and I would like to discover new pokemon and secrets myself. So i will stay spoiler alert the first week of the game's release.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    Me and my brother are doing a playthrough together. He's going to get Moon while I'm getting Sun. We also chose opposite starters. I'm getting Popplio while he gets Litten. We plan on trading if we need to.

Personally, I have some set of rules.

-Depending on the news given on August 12th, I'll be avoiding spoilers.
    -Only using Alola Pokemon. If we have another situation in which we have too few new Pokemon I'll just use very few Pokemon from other regions
    -Avoiding the month of October altogether as well as November since that's gonna be hectic.
    -No use of Megas unless required by story( Unless we don't have Mega's) until post-game
    -Only one Z Crystal for whatever Pokemon I choose. Just to add some challenge to my run

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2018
    I'm really going to try and take it slow. I want to appreciate the surroundings, colours and everything else that the new Region has to offer. Another goal I want to set myself is to try and capture all the Pokemon available in each area, that's something I try to do but never follow through with!

It's fun to do it this way. Also how someone else mentioned, not to plan your team out too far in advanced so you can have fun experiencing new pokemon.

Back