• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Can We Jumpstart the RP Section?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
  • Okies, I see no-one has made any amendments, so it's basically a free-form RP in the school genre as long as it features distinction between less and more experienced students and a multi-faceted campus? You know, I think I could fit this quite nicely into a setting I already have at the back of my mind, so I hope that you people don't mind a good old-fashioned magic/fantasy one, and if you do...well, you had your chance to complain. xD

First draft should be together in a day or two (Depending on how much I can keep myself from playing Spirit Caller on my spiffy new DS instead of working), so yeah; I'll post it for C & C then. Should that be done here or the Discussion Thread? Just wondering. :3

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Mmm, do it here. It's related to this, so the people who have been posting here won't have to troop on over to the discussion thread. ^^

And... Thank you very very much AE. *grovel* I'm pathetic, I know. ;A; Forgive me and my lack of determination!

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Magic and fantasy. I still fail to comprehend why almost everyone here is enamored with anachronism. Am I the only roleplayer here who has proper reverence for the modern day?

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    That was unesseccary Jack O'Neill.

If you would like to state that you wish for a modern-day RP, then please do so in the Discussion thread.

Anyway, AE, it doesn't have to be a super complex plot, it's just a learning RP, so I just thought I'd inform you of the fact that we're not all seaching for the usual AE brand five pages in word. ^^;;

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Magic and fantasy. I still fail to comprehend why almost everyone here is enamored with anachronism. Am I the only roleplayer here who has proper reverence for the modern day?

Like I said: you had your chance to complain for a long time. Don't blame me if you decided to wait until the last minute (Because seriously, I'm not about to do a 100% revamp just to please you). Mind you, it's not completely medieval; just not fully modern either. :3

Anyway, AE, it doesn't have to be a super complex plot, it's just a learning RP, so I just thought I'd inform you of the fact that we're not all seaching for the usual AE brand five pages in word. ^^;;

Yeah, I realized that while I was writing, which is why I'm currently working on how much of the big setting details I should add (Because those could fill a book). It's currently at about one page of the pure introductory, will probably fill at least another once I'm done with the necessary background info. :3

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Um... scary. And O'Neill, the reason we're enamored with the days of yore is because there's something romantic about them, something that vanished when we hit modern days and was never suitably replaced. It's also why we dream of other worlds, things that don't exist, etc. Besides, guns are inferior to swords when you're fighting zombies- no need to reload. [/randomosity spammage]

Anyway, like Jyukai said, we don't need an entire book, AE. One page might be all we really need, so don't knock yourself out unless you really feel like it.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Um... scary. And O'Neill, the reason we're enamored with the days of yore is because there's something romantic about them, something that vanished when we hit modern days and was never suitably replaced. It's also why we dream of other worlds, things that don't exist, etc. Besides, guns are inferior to swords when you're fighting zombies- no need to reload. [/randomosity spammage]

Anyway, like Jyukai said, we don't need an entire book, AE. One page might be all we really need, so don't knock yourself out unless you really feel like it.

Mmm, that first paragraph was kind of uneeded too. In both your posts you speak very generally about the entire RPing population.

Don't.

Now if you would like to take this discussion of why YOU TWO like modern or medival, please take it to PM.

Bottom line for me: I get modern every single day of my life, so I see absolutely no reason to roleplay something that I can just watch on TV.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Now, ACC...you should know that going rabid with plot typing is what I do best. :3 And yeah, seconding Jyukai's sentiments on modernity; RPing is what I do to take a break from reality.

Anyways, after a lot of head-banging I've finally managed to put together the first plot draft and I much apologize that I couldn't trim it down to less than four pages in word altogether as I didn't want to leave people confused about the setting. Of course I'm open to downsizing suggestions, so here it is:

Spoiler:

So yeah, C & C maybe? Using the assignment thing is purely optional and to be used if we want it as a sort of test situation, or just plain need a change of pace. Could also be used as a way to temporarily excuse people from the RP. :3

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Okay, point taken. I prefer medieval/other world settings because of the romanticism. I'm sorry- I'm very, very opinionated. Gomen Nasai.

Yayz! The AE plot that is wrapped in spoiler tags! Awesomeness!

Okay.... So, my only two questions are "When do we start?" and "Do we find out whether our character is a teacher or whatever before or after we sign up?", since it would be kind of hard to decide what kind of character to create who would fit all three available roles. You couldn't mention what he was good at, whether he enjoyed being on the faculty, etc.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Yeah, I know what you mean about the roles. But really, I think those are questions I'd better leave to Jyukai. Personally, I do agree that it would simplify things if the experienced people and teachers would be declared ahead of time, but that's not my call. Same goes for the start-up, but odds are that that will have to wait at least until Asch comes back.

Anyways, anything that could use trimming or - gasp - is missing? Now those things I can do something about. :3

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • You know, enchantment sounds a bit like something out of Fullmetal Alchemist...

Hm... Not much I can say. See, the problem with your plots, AE, is that all of them have so much obvious effort and imagination thrown in that I can't really add much to them in the way of CC. I might ask "Are humans the only inhabitants, or no? Are there specific spells needed for enchantments, or is it basically "draw it out of your own mind"? Are there any rules about what can and cannot be enchanted or created by enchantment? (ex., making enchanted gold and conning people for example.)" However, all of those are really optional fields and not really necessary for the rp to continue. Once Asch gets back, I think it will be time to begin.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Damn it, someone made that link even though I so carefully steered away from transmutation. *Shot'dness*

Anyways, on the racial issue...ah, you prodded on a little dilemma of mine. Yes, the original setting had different races, but I figured that would just add more confusion in this context so I decided to place this at a point of time before they emerged so assume that they're currently hiding. xD

And no, enchantments don't require any specific incantations, although there are focus chants for beginners to help them with the imagination and belief part. (It's a type of self-hypnotism) Pros don't need it, though. :3 As for the rules...well, the only limit for what is formed is the power of your mind and the availability of materials, really, so the bigger stuff is harder to put into being (It's easier to believe in pulling a rabbit out of a hat than replacing the critter with an elephant, you know) but no, there are no limits per-say so the gold scam is fully possible; but of course you'd have to make a run for it before the enchantment disbands. Oh, and do note that enchantment deals with all forms of make-believe, so you could just make something look and feel like gold without ever bothering to turn it into gold. :3

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
  • \School RP finally~
    I really like the plot; the setting itself brings a lot to the imagination, and I love that kind of stuff! The one criticism I think I can point out though is that for a person who has only gotten RP experience from Neopets or something around that experience, the RP may seem a bit overwhelming with your terms of words and how you explained everything. Maybe you should put an 'In Short' Plot summary at the end. It just helps to appeal to more people.

So you're pretty much a human enchanter? No elves or halfbeasts? I'd love the flare of that, but I guess it could get too confusing, but it could add extra details in history and appearance so that everyone can advance on that. One thing I've been curious about is the social interaction between characters outside of class time...will there be an outside of class time? And three roles, you mean teacher, Junior, and Senior, right? I like the whole idea though :3

Years
  • I love the plot AE. It should do a nice job of educating, since there are ways for action to occur while still maintaining a certain order among students.

Are we going to cram everyone that wants to learn in this one, or have multiple RPs? I guess it depends on the number of people who apply...I'd just have an extra RP ready just in case there are swarms of newbie RPers who come.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • \School RP finally~
    I really like the plot; the setting itself brings a lot to the imagination, and I love that kind of stuff! The one criticism I think I can point out though is that for a person who has only gotten RP experience from Neopets or something around that experience, the RP may seem a bit overwhelming with your terms of words and how you explained everything. Maybe you should put an 'In Short' Plot summary at the end. It just helps to appeal to more people.

Hmm...good point, I'll see about getting one done. :3
    So you're pretty much a human enchanter? No elves or halfbeasts? I'd love the flare of that, but I guess it could get too confusing, but it could add extra details in history and appearance so that everyone can advance on that. One thing I've been curious about is the social interaction between characters outside of class time...will there be an outside of class time? And three roles, you mean teacher, Junior, and Senior, right? I like the whole idea though :3

I agree that racial diversity would be interesting, but yeah...keeping it simple this time around. Plus, Riven elves are somewhat different from your average elven lot so I was afraid that explaining some of their little quirks (Such as shared dreaming) would sort of complicate matters. And let's not even get me started about the other things...like the full story behind rift magic. That's something for another RP, I think. xD Anyway, yeah, the roles are junior, senior, and teach. ^^ Oh, and I almost forgot to answer this one: yeah, there will be out of class time. I mean, no-one can just study and practice twenty-four seven, right? n_n

Are we going to cram everyone that wants to learn in this one, or have multiple RPs? I guess it depends on the number of people who apply...I'd just have an extra RP ready just in case there are swarms of newbie RPers who come.

Well, the way I understood it this was just something to get things rolling. If this RP teaching thing catches on (like we hope it will) then there will probably be many more to come. :3

Last edited:

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Yeah, Davi-kun is going to be back tomorrow, or sometime around then. *YIIIIIIIIIEEEEE!!! runsaroundincircles* [/can't wait]

Anyway, this is the only thing I found wrong with the whole thing.

king Reginald decided

King is capitalized. :33 And that's it!

IZ PERFECT AE, JOO R KAMI-SAMA. :OOOOOO

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, Davi-kun, Iruru-chan, and Al-chan are going to be teachers, unless they're not up to it. If there's nothing serving for plot writing, then I might be one too, but I need to work on my plot writing skillz... *as you can clearly tell*

That's all I'm assigning so far, and once Davi-kun gets back, there might be moar, might be less, we'll see. ^^

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • IZ PERFECT AE, JOO R KAMI-SAMA. :OOOOOO

Believe it or not, when I saw that, I had a random image of AE as god. I was funny as... as... something really, really funny. *Is shot for spammage in post*

Hm.... if there are more to come, perhaps I should get writing! Time to go recycle write a plot!

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    First, technology isn't quite as advanced; electricity is considered cutting edge (and still isn't commercially available) so obviously the conveniences related to it are out of the question. They do have indoor plumbing, though, so don't worry about that.
    Judging by that description, that would place the setting at somewhere around late 19th century to early 20th century (World War I level at the absolute most advanced) in terms of general technology level. Kinda reminds me of Fullmetal Alchemist, actually. O.o;

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Jack O'Neill said:
    Judging by that description, that would place the setting at somewhere around late 19th century to early 20th century (World War I level at the absolute most advanced) in terms of general technology level. Kinda reminds me of Fullmetal Alchemist, actually. O.o;

Well, I've only seen the two first episodes of that anime so I wouldn't know. Dang, this is starting to feel like déja vu of the Adopter RP (Which, everyone insisted, bore a haunting resemblance to Digimon). Why do my plots tend to resemble animes I don't know? :O But yeah, I figured that full medieval was a bit too cliché. :3

Ok, I need to know, so if the only magic is enchantment and temporary, does that mean that it isn't possible to shoot balls of fire, or attack with lightning bolts, or something along those lines.

Not easily, no. For combustion you'd need to create a lot of heat (not to mention that you need something pretty sizable to ignite for the fireball) and a lightning bolt needs a crapload of electrons assembled together, not to mention that you'd have to picture something that happens in a split-second. Both call for insane amounts of energy, so they're not very feasible options, no.

So yeah, that would be teacher level stuff, and tough even for them, not to mention that that sort of thing is brushing a bit too close to destruction arts (one of the two forbidden branches) so there might be...consequences. Enchanters would usually be a bit more creative - and practical - about their fighting magic. ;D

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back