• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Can We Jumpstart the RP Section?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    I agree with anyone who thinks that a school RP would stink a horrible stink. If a school RP goes through, it'll only be as spammy as a pool party RP, and we all hate those. Even if there's magic, don't get me wrong, magic is fun to throw at people, but it would get bland quick.

You'd run out of things to do, and let's not forget the 47 <<exaggerated sign-ups of random people you've never seen RPing before, joining just for the Hogwarts thrill.

Not a BAD idea, just BAD for the RPing section.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    1. Moderators. There's only two Moderators that I know who have any kind of right to tell people how to roleplay. :/ No offense to any other moderators I might not know and have super-awesome-pwn't-skillz in RPing, but lot's of moderators is an option we don't have. However, I absolutely see no reason as to why it's so essential to have a bolded blue, red, or steel blue name to be taken seriously. I mean really. D: Can you take someone like me seriously? SOMEONE WHO LOVES TALKING IN CAPS AND SPELLS EVERYTHING WRONG SOMETIMES JUST BECAUSE IT'S SO FRICKIN' FUN?! xDDD No.

2. I think an RP with a lot of people wouldn't be too difficult to moderate, in fact, it would be easier, that way you wouldn't have click here and there and there and here, and you wouldn't have any chance of mixing up which thread you're in. *I... do that a lot...* Thus, I can't say I like the idea of having more then one thread, but that's really a minor issue.

3. ZOYMAHGAWDNUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. DDDD: For the sake of PC's RPing section, I would certainly participate in a Pokemon School RP if it were affiliated with this thread, however, to be quite honest... I would hate it. >.<; But don't let that stop you!! If you all decide that a Pokemon RP would be good, I totally understand, because this IS the Pokecommunity! ...Poke? Well anyway. I think a Harry Potter RP would be a very bad idea.

Because then you've got to learn magic on the side, and that's another uneeded distraction. :/

4. LET'S STEAL DAVI-KUN'S SCHOOL PLOT THAT FACE PANNED TWICE, AND GET RID OF THE MURDER SITUATION THAT ALWAYS MADE IT FACEPAN no offense to your brilliant plan Davi-kun AND USE THAT! 8DDD

3) Yeah, I... wouldn't participate. Partially because I'm getting tired of Pokemon, and partially because they always feel repetitive to me...

4) The concept made it die? No, no that isn't it at all. People joining and then not posting is what made it die both times. Besides, you're one to talk. When was the last time YOU had a successful RP? XD

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Excuse me, I'm running a very successful RP right now thank you very much. >O Now kindly, if you've anything more to say about my success RP-making-wise, take it to MSN mister. >OO

With the concept of pokemon, it's like, there's always a same element in it. Always. So when the same element shows up in an RP over and over again, I suppose it grows old and worn out. ^^;

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    You know? Since when has there been an RP that hasn't been private where only a 'select few' can try to join? Come on; people have ALWAYS been able to join an RP, because it's advertised here that people just want to join it more. Not everyone's taste can be satisfied. Some people like RPs with thick plots, some like RPs that are simple. You can't please everyone. I don't see how planning an RP here will change the atmosphere of the RP itself. People have always been able to make OOC threads in the Lounge, right? If you want to help other RPers, why not just put the advice in the OOC thread? Anyone could have done that before, and I'm sure that many others would prefer that than an RP clogged with OOC: This was rushed srry. OOC: Actually, you could do better on [insert 2 paragraphs here]. It just...jumbles the RP and makes the feeling and flow of it weaken if you know what I mean.

In short; I think an RP should just be made like every other RP. There have been Hogwarts RPs. There have been other school RPs. I don't think this RP will be any different unless dedicated people join the RP. Just dedicated people make a successful RP. Help for the RP should be in another OOC thread so people can nitpick there and others can maybe post their part in the RP there first for someone to review it if they don't think it's good enough to post in the actual RP. All I really want is an organized productive RP; that's really the only need we have here I think.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Aww...there's so much anti-pokémon sentiment. Am I the only weirdo here to still not have grown out of it at my age? What am I, Peter freakin' Pan? xD

Anyways, on the driving plot thing; I really don't see why a lesson in RPing has to be equivalent to RPing a lesson. I mean, a crisis could be used as an opportunity to practice problem solving creativity, reaction to plot twists, ability to RP other situations than just casual conversation or suchlike, and just plain creativity. See beyond the obvious, folks; just because it doesn't have 'lesson' stamped on it with big, capital letters it doesn't mean it can't be a lesson. Doing everything as formal lessons might get a bit too repetitive. But yeah, I do see Chikara's issue with school type RPs. Off the top of my head, RPer clustering (I.e. everyone only interacting in their own little RPer groups (Typically of people in relatively close time zones)) and time distortions (Someone RPing Monday afternoon while the other is still trudging through last Saturday for instance) are two nasty issues that need a strong RP master to be countered.

Also, following up on Chibi-chan's comment, lemme' throw a less grand idea out there: how about we forget about making one 'uber teaching RP of DOOM' (tm) and do it a bit more small-scale? I mean, how about deciding on a group of RPers qualified to teach, then set up a thread where anyone starting up an RP can ask for a teacher type person to follow it and give comments and criticism on people's performrance (In lieu with what's happening in Iruka's RP already)? Of course, the C & C would be given in an OOC thread so it wouldn't clutter up the RP itself. That way, the teaching initiative wouldn't be hinged on the success of any individual plot (which is always a toss up) and thus might have a better chance of succeeding. Just a thought since it seems like most RPers here are a-okay with having someone gawking over their shoulder and pointing out their faults at this point. :3

Last edited:
    Years
    The plan I had wasn't a hogwarts RPG XP More like a school that teaches the basics of RPGing, so that people have a chance to realistically role play but at the same time learn. Which is where having the 'different people to teach different classes' came in.

If you were looking at having a lot of people join then you could allways split them up, I'm afraid to say but it would be split into something like:

Year 7 - those who need quite a lot of help.
    Year 8 - Those who don't need as much help.
    Teachers: Those who are deamed good enough to lead a class.

What I'm saying is, people would have to be prepared to find out how much help they need, in the end this idea is suppose to HELP those who think they NEED help.

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    So the tasks are split then?

There's the school idea, where those who think they need help, can be helped directly in the RP under the moderation of more experienced role-players, and thus creating a techer-student + education theme of a plot.

Then there's the freelance method, where OOC threads are made to discuss an RP indirectly, and where assigned assitants-of-sorts give advice and help when a problem arises, kind of like a personal spellchecker, except he/she moderates people's posts and offers advice and the like.

Are these general assumptions right? Or am I completely off the ball now?

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Aww...there's so much anti-pokémon sentiment. Am I the only weirdo here to still not have grown out of it at my age? What am I, Peter freakin' Pan? xD

LULWTFPETERPAN. Right. Ahem. I haven't like, grown out of it, I just kind of lost my interest. I wouldn't be the person to say, "omg, pkmn iz so st00pd."

Iruka said:
    Year 7 - those who need quite a lot of help.
    Year 8 - Those who don't need as much help.
    Teachers: Those who are deamed good enough to lead a class.

I loveth that idea. But I'm afraid that someone'll get mad if we stick 'em in Year 7 when they thought they would be a teacher... Or something like that. >.<;

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    I love that idea. But I'm afraid that someone'll get mad if we stick 'em in Year 7 when they thought they would be a teacher... Or something like that. >.<;

Whoever takes an RP that seriously I feel bad for; especially in a learning RP :| If that happens, I'm sure they could fit their character to match the mood they're in; maybe someone rebellious or something. :P I love the idea of it though! Everything would be so much more organized~

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
    Attention Roleplayers! ACC is actually posting here!

Um... the big question I'm asking is "Who in the name of all that is not sacred is going to judge who goes where?" Pardon me if I missed someone else asking that question and getting a nice answer, but I'm fairly sure we'd need to scour the entire roleplaying section and have contests and such to decide just who everyone agrees is worthy enough to judge their sklizz. I mean, take someone like me, for instance. I know that I'm probably about an eighth-year roleplayer in terms of my level, but that's my own asessment. Say (hypothetically) that Jyukai thinks I'm actually about teacher level and Asch thinks I should spend some time in seventh year. Who am I to believe? Disagreements like that would kind of make it a problem to decide who goes where.

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years

Um... the big question I'm asking is "Who in the name of all that is not sacred is going to judge who goes where?" Pardon me if I missed someone else asking that question and getting a nice answer, but I'm fairly sure we'd need to scour the entire roleplaying section and have contests and such to decide just who everyone agrees is worthy enough to judge their sklizz. I mean, take someone like me, for instance. I know that I'm probably about an eighth-year roleplayer in terms of my level, but that's my own asessment. Say (hypothetically) that Jyukai thinks I'm actually about teacher level and Asch thinks I should spend some time in seventh year. Who am I to believe? Disagreements like that would kind of make it a problem to decide who goes where.

Well I think that all the most dedicated roleplayers here should nominate people for teaching on the basis of how original they are and how they actually roleplay. Then when we have up to at least 5 teachers then they can place people who join into years. I would have to say that teachers should accept people on their activity and not their sheets. Since sheets can be edited. While activity takes a while longer

Anyway I would of course be okay with any year. Since it just means how much work you need and how much more you can improve. Since summer has started I think that we are going to see more activity in this forum

Years
    Yeah...looking back Hogwarts was a generally bad idea. The idea I think was good, just not the plot. A giant Pokemon School type thing would be much better, it would just use pokemon instead of magic.

I actually think it's pretty easy to tell who makes it into what category is pretty easy. Those who have bad grammar, short un-descriptive posts go into "7th year". While guys like ACC and Jyukai are easily at Teacher Status, because they have excellent grammar. 8th would be those who have decent English and Describing skills, but not to an amazing decree of roleplaying, and seem to post shorter ...posts, instead of longer "more than 3 paragraph" ones. Then again those categories seem pretty broad, I think we should have 3 learning categories, actually.

I think the PokeRPschool would be a pretty good idea. It would have a fun, entertaining element, with the battling and interaction, and small sub-plots, while still being a teaching medium for newer RPers.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    Pokeschool? Hey, aren't we focused on this RP section? The Pokemon Rps are doing amazingly well! There's only one or two non-hot topics there and everyone else has already started and still is continuing from over a couple of months ago! I think an RP that more fits the 'Other' category that it will be in would be better.

Better yet, how about a magic school with Pokemon familiars? You can be friends and battle with them, or just have them by your side on occasion. That seems like it could fit everyone's train of thought.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years

But I'd let you be a teacher. D= Problem solved. XD
    Anywho, nobody can really know for sure what's best for this forum right now. No matter what we try, it's going to end up as a trial and error thing anyways. And, not to place any pressure on anyone, but I am leaving for Europe on Monday, so could we try and come to some form of conclusion before I go? XD;

Reminds me, I better go make posts in my RPs...

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
    EUROPE? HOW DARE YOU GET TO GO TO EUROPE BEFORE THE ACC! THE ACC IS NOT PLEASED!

Even though you already said you were leaving in your Bleach rp....

Ok, enough playing around with all the funky forum tools. Let's talk turkey.

So, say this is a Pokeschool rp. How do we balance the teaching of RP with the actual RPing? (Pardon me if I missed this as well...)

I was thinking something like forming two separate threads. In one thread, we lay down all the rules for great roleplaying. In another thread, we actually roleplay. When someone messes up, we tell them. Or was this the plan from the beggining? I'm confused.

Or better yet, the students have to complete certain tasks set down by the teachers. Like this-

Suddenly, a beast burst from the water in front of Mary-Stu and Gary-Anne. "Eek!" both girls screamed at the same time.

The legendary wanderer, ACC, was at the girls' side in the twinkling of an eye. "Hmm... blue fins.... large, shark-like head... big, snakelike tail... yup, it's a sea serpent. But no worries, I think you two can handle it- just use what you've been taught in class."

OOC: Requirements- attack the serpent, allow your characters to struggle to defeat it, and finally overcome it in five full-length paragraphs. You may make up to three spelling errors before being penalized. As always, god-moding and powerplaying of any character besides the serpent NPC is strictly forbidden.

Yup, that was kind of weird, but I'm wondering whether or not that would be a good way to kind of "test" the students- you know, to show them that yes, it is easy to do something like this. Anyone agree with me?

Someone unidentifiable: Booooooo!!! You stink!

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Or better yet, the students have to complete certain tasks set down by the teachers. Like this-

Suddenly, a beast burst from the water in front of Mary-Stu and Gary-Anne. "Eek!" both girls screamed at the same time.

The legendary wanderer, ACC, was at the girls' side in the twinkling of an eye. "Hmm... blue fins.... large, shark-like head... big, snakelike tail... yup, it's a sea serpent. But no worries, I think you two can handle it- just use what you've been taught in class."

OOC: Requirements- attack the serpent, allow your characters to struggle to defeat it, and finally overcome it in five full-length paragraphs. You may make up to three spelling errors before being penalized. As always, god-moding and powerplaying of any character besides the serpent NPC is strictly forbidden.

Lol, I could see something like that happening, actually. xD Although really, I don't see any need to have a school setting of any kind unless we feel like it. I mean, we could just have something - in an other RP vein - where the student type characters suddenly find themselves chosen for a role (possibly with some form of special power or the other to add a bit of action to the mix) and have to be prepared to carry it out accordingly. The teacher type people could then be the 'meddler' characters in the story (You know, the good guys who manipulate the protagonists for the good of all) and have the knowledge to teach them about their powers (if we choose to include any).

Anyways, I'll have to join into Asch's request for some kind of decision before Monday; you see, that's when my family (including me, of course) is heading to my grandparents' summer cottage, which - as it happens - doesn't even have electricity, let alone internet access. I won't be back until Thursday afternoon (or Friday, depends), so when I suddenly vanish from the forums you'll know why. :3

That being said, I just have to ask about the optional idea I mentioned in my last post since no-one besides Phanima really even acknowledged its existence. Comments, anyone? I don't mind if you think it's bad/not right for this, but I'd at least like someone to tell me so.

On the issue of who gets to decide on the classifications, I'll just give a simple and unfair opinion: Asch and Jyukai. I mean, they're already entrusted with deciding whether to allow RPs to continue or even appear in the first place, how big a leap of faith is it to let them handle this too? That way we can avoid a lot of needless bickering and time-consuming vote tallying. People who take offense over their classifications clearly don't have the right attitude for learning anyway; if they did then they would just take it as encouragement to work harder.

That aside, I do see Chibi-chan's point about these two sections of ours (although some of the hot topic tags might be the result of impatient people like me klicking back and forth between RPs and re-reading them while waiting for other people to post). The pokémon familiars thing...well, it's a nice enough idea, although I don't see why we need to jump on the old HP bandwagon and put them in a school (as I've already said, education doesn't need a concrete school within the RP itself). I'd only support throwing pokémon in there if they'd get some actual significance, though, as I'm not really a big fan of slapping on unnecessary franchises just for looks.

Years
    I kind of thought that was what we were doing ACC...But I was probably wrong because I'm clueless like that a lot. I think that ACC's idea should work, of course we'll have to spread the news so all of the Rp Hopefuls will join.

The only thing is...what's the setting/plot...We did have the pokeschool, but I think that idea died out because we don't really need the school/ this is the "other roleplay" section.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years

So, sorta like a 'give a prompt, answer a prompt RP?' I'm sorry but that doesn't seem...fun x.x This is supposed to be fun, right? ._.I can't even make five paragraphs on an RP; why put one or two superfluous sentences when one or two paragraphs can suffice? I don't get a plot out of this idea; interacting with other RPers seems like it wouldn't fit in this idea. School had some plot that could be developed from it; pokemon, magic or not :|

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Pokeschool? Hey, aren't we focused on this RP section? The Pokemon Rps are doing amazingly well! There's only one or two non-hot topics there and everyone else has already started and still is continuing from over a couple of months ago! I think an RP that more fits the 'Other' category that it will be in would be better.

Better yet, how about a magic school with Pokemon familiars? You can be friends and battle with them, or just have them by your side on occasion. That seems like it could fit everyone's train of thought.

...Isn't that the same as a Pokemon RP? o O; I don't really quite grasp what you mean by the last paragraph.

Edit-ching: Er, whoops. Looks like there were a lot more posts then I'd seen. Gimme a second! >.<;

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back