• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How did you defeat Whitney?

JP

wut?
Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I can't really remember my battle with her lol, so with that I'm guessing she wasn't too much of a challenge for me. I tend to go into gym battles with my Pokemon being able to overpower the gym leaders.

Lance is really the one trainer that gave me trouble (so far.) Those damned Dragonites were a *****.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    I probably had one of the worst, yet most fun and challenging strategies you can think of. XD

I'd first get Clefary right down to the red with Quilava to make Whitney waste one of two super potions on Clefary, and then kill it right away.

Then, I'd switch out to Gastly as Miltank came in and would use Hypnosis to get rid of Miltank's status-curing berry (I forget its name). Then, Miltank would kill off Gastly and I'd switch to Flaaffy. Flaaffy would use Thunder Wave to paralyze Miltank, and this is when the fun started. Having 5 super potions and one revive, I would switch out between Quilava and Flaaffy whenever Miltank used Attract. Whittling down it's health, Miltank would constantly use Milk Drink and so I'd make it use up all 15 PP of Milk Drink it had, and that's when it started spamming Rollout. After it started using Rollout I knew Milk Drink was done, so I would hit it with all I had from Flaaffy's Thundershocks and Quilava's Flame Wheels.

After probably the most intense gym battle I've ever had, Miltank went down and Whitney started crying.

Years
  • I pounded her clefairy with my cyndaquil. then her miltank attracted the hell out of him so i had to finish up with my flaffy. Easier then generation 2 tho, i struggled on the original silver. Now claire...she was tough ****.

Years
  • Well I have never played Gold/Silver before (I started playing Pokemon with Ruby/Sapphire) so this was a bit of a surprise. I was pretty upset when Stomp hurt my then Ghastly. I did not understand why it even hit it...until I caught a Miltank myself and saw that it could hit ghosts. So my strategy totally changed. I used Onix, who had Rock Smash, and just plowed through. All of her Stomps didn't do much good against Onix, so I survived. I even thought for sure at the end that she wouldn't give me the badge because she was crying! I was so relieved when I walked away and one of the trainers told me she cries all the time. It was really weird.

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    Let's see, Whitney was a big pain in the arse for me. Remembering back in the GSC days where I would just overpower my pokemon and take her down that way, I tried doing it this time around. Ten years later, it still is a big pain. What really destroyed my Croconaw (Pidgeotto and Growlithe wouldn't last the battle) is that a. Attract completely stopped me from attacking and b. Stomp made me flinch EVERY FREAKING TIME SHE USED IT. I believe I almost threw my DS cursing at the game for this madness. Oh and yes of course she milk drinks every time she gets in the red.

Plan B: This time I beat her the old fashion way...sheer luck. Croconaw was able to beat Clefairy without much damage done to itself. When Miltank was up, I was able to weaken it a bit with Pidgeotto before it was taken down. Croconaw fortunately wasn't hit by an attract the very first turn, and was able to land a few hits. Then it uses Rollout, so I knew I only had a few more turns to get rid of it. Luckily, I got some critical hits that saved my butt from losing again. I was able to beat her the second time. It wasn't an easy battle though.

In short, I underestimated her the first time, hoping she wouldn't be as hard. The second try, sheer luck brought me victory.

Charlie M

要素のマスター
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2010
    Whitney I had no problem with. My level 23-25 Quilava (I can't remember exactly what level it was at) took out her entire team very easily. Now if you want to talk about gym leaders that gave me problems, I could talk all day about how incredibly hard Claire was to defeat. But that's a whole different story...

Tvan

Boiler Up!
    Years
  • By the time I got to Goldenrod I knew what I would need to get that badge. In SS I had a Crocanaw high enough to take out all of her pokemon no problem, and the second time around in HG I caught a Pinscir in the Bug Catching Tournament and used that gym to level him up.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Also, if you think Whitney is hard, you're not ready for Clair. It took me, the same one try, to beat her but I used over 15 revives just against her.
    Ya'know, it's a shame some people don't see the point of threads like these. Miltank and Whitney were legendary in their killing sprees in GSC, hence why I wanted to know how people handled the leader this go around, based on some of the stories I heard.

For me, she wasn't difficult, because I actually planned for her this time. Flash and good ol' Scyther got her crying pretty quickly.

@ Synaesthesia; haha, nice. XD

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Bayleaf worked surprisingly well with razor leaf. I had troubles with Whitney the first two times because her miltank was hax.
    She kept using attract on my male only team at the time and getting critical hits and flinching my pokemon with stomp, and her scrappy didn't do much good for my gastly either.
    The third time though, sleep powder, razor leaf, razor leaf, razor leaf. >:D
    FLAWLESS VICTORY.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2016
    I could NEVER do it. I always started with Cyndaquil, and as a little kid playing G/S, I raised that and maybe 2 or 3 more at a lesser level. This thing was IMPOSSIBLE with its goshdarn rollout. I eventually caught a bunch of dittos in the previous route and used them for stalling, and took Whitney down.

In the new games, now that I'm smarter at raising my Pokémon, I loaded my flaaffy with flash, used it once or twice and staticized the cow, and then sent in Gastly to whittle away at Rollout/Milk Drink's PP (with spite.) Then Quilava went to work...

Last edited:

Omega94

Experienced Swimmer
    Years
  • Lvl. 25 Bayleef: Poison Powder then Magical Leaf x2.

Honestly I'm surprised she wasn't too much of a hinderance; probably because I've been (and will continue to) overtraining my Pokemon so I can reach all Lvl. 90 by my battle with Red. I remember in Gold Whitney was a pain to take down, but back then I was much less experienced.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
  • SoulSilver...I...can't really remember. And it was half a week ago! I just know it wasn't as annoying the second time. Or was it the third?

In Silver on VBA I think I beat her on my first try with Flaaffy's Strength or something like that...

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Whitney is HG/SS is easier than GSC in that she does not use Rollout as much and tends to use Stomp instead.

That Lum Berry is annoying. And the Scrappy ability put my old GSC strategy of dealing with her to shame the first time around in the Jap version.
    I have my Haunter Curse her Miltank to death. I tend to use evasion/accuracy altering moves afterwards. I also make sure all Pokemon caught before then are female or genderless.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Weepinbell to poison. Switch out to Croconaw. Icefanged to death. Win.

Easy.

Lucipher

I'm not as bad as you think.
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2010
    Whitney was a major pain in the butt seeing as my whole team is made up of males... However, after a few losses and many words yelled at my pokemon to not be in love with the stupid miltank who kept attracting all of my pokemon.

.Vaati

=^____^=
    Years
  • I was really surprised when I fought Whitney in my Heart Gold version and had a hard time with her because I never had trouble against her in Silver (Quilava would always Dig to negate Rollout's effectiveness).

This time though I was doing something fairly unique, not evolving Cyndaquil as I wanted it to be the "Pikachu" of my team.

So I start the battle with my Dunsparce. With a combination of Glare and Headbutt, Clefairy is unable to land a single attack. I planned on doing the same to Miltank, however, she stopped my poor Dunsparce into oblivion, having him flinch to Stomp every time. Knowing that a Rock type Pokemon would decrease the effectiveness of Miltank's main attack I bought out Geodude. However, Geodude was stopped by Miltank's flinch-inducing Stomp attack, drinking milk to restore its health when necessary. I then sent out my Cyndaquil and used Flame Wheel which did little damage while taking about 70% from Stomp. I returned Cyndaquil and sent out Bellsprout who fainted immediately.

Now it was Flaffy's turn. A long exchange of blows took place. Flaffy using its most powerful Thundershocks while Miltank retaliated with Stomps. However, after several healing items on Whitney's part Flaffy fell to Miltank, but not without taking it down to ~5% of it's maximum HP.

I sent out my Cyndaquil, knowing that this next turn would decide the fate of my career as a Pokemon trainer. I selected Quick Attack.

And won.

Gamefreaked

Evil Genius
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2010
    Was I the only one who had a Feraligatr and a Pigeot by the time I fought her? Haha, I got bored of the gyms and since there all so low leveled I decided why not just massively level my pokemon in one go to defeat the next three or four gyms in a row. It worked I guess, but now I can't even begin to EV train my pokes.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    This is for my Japanese SoulSilver when it came out a while back:

It was specially tough for me because I promised to myself that I would use only my starter alone to beat her, which is a male Totodile.
    Furthermore, I also promised to not use any items, including potions or held items.
    Third of all, I didn't try grinding at all, or even train a bit because everything was too easy.
    Fourth of all, I didn't try using any strategy the first time because I never needed strategy this early in-game. I only needed it in the last half of the game.
    You can easliy guess that I was defeated for following these conditions the first time. But when I saw that me going easy on her wasn't going to do me good, I went out and trained Totodile about 5 levels, then came back and defeated her while still following all those conditions from before, except that I used a slight strategy this time, and the win was mine.

When I played crystal back then, I never thought she was that challenging at all, unlike how others said.
    They might have dropped the levels a bit, but it has actually gotten pretty much tougher, since there are Natures, EVs, IVs, and Physical Special split, and most importantly the ability.
    It's Miltank's ability which saves it from the Ghosts and ruins the easy way out for the people who were going to use it... Lol!

But now I'm going to challenge her again, this time in my English HeartGold.

J a s m i n e ©

Girl Trainer Domination
    Years
  • I did use Quilava (at the time, that was what my starter was) at first but she kept using Milk Drink and her Milktank just wasn't tryna accept defeat. To make things worse Quilava is male so attract kinda got in the way of taking her down as fast as I wanted to. However, I used Ampharos and since Ampharos is a female Attract didn't work and she seemed to stop using Milk Drink (not because she ran out of PP. She didn't use it 10 times probably about 8 times.) and begin using Stomp. That was her downfall and I eventually won, she cried, sucked it up and got over it, and I received the plain badge. :)

Back