• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How did you discover Rom Hacking?

Years
  • I discovered it when one day I was looking for the Route 36 theme for FireRed on Youtube (this was back in 2009) when I saw in the related videos Pokemon ShinyGold. My first thought was "There is no such thing as Pokemon ShinyGold". So I watched a video of the game and I was amazed by it. I googled searched on how to play the game and I realized it was a hacked game. The rest is history.

So how did you discover Rom Hacking?

Years
  • Hmmm....
    I believe that I used to see a lot of videos about Hacked Games here and there and I was rather young so I thought they were using cheats or simply editing tricks xD
    Well, I once started seeing an active playthrough rather than just a video saying "Mew is real!" or "How to get Deoxys without events"
    After a few videos, I decided to play the game myself, so I went down in the description, clicked the link to the ROM, and the rest is history :)

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I actually don't remember how exactly I found out about it, I just know that when I did I played hacks... a lot XD

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • I used to go on Youtube when I was young (summer before 6th grade) and watch videos with crazy titles like

YOU CAN REALLY GET A CELEBI IN EMERALD WITHOUT CHEATS I DIDN'T BELIEVE IT WAS REAL!!!1111

I was about 12, so actually believed those catchy titles. I was browsing those videos and I found something about a ninth gym or something. I clicked on the video and saw that the Pokemon they were using weren't even real. I didn't know it at the time, but I had just seen my first Pokemon hack (Pokemon Quartz).

I never played it (because I didn't know about emulators back then) but it was the first time I was exposed to hacked games.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • Just started playing hacks alot, then I started looking at tuts, on how to make one. I think it was mainly Flora Sky though xD

Years
  • I used to go on Youtube when I was young (summer before 6th grade) and watch videos with crazy titles like

YOU CAN REALLY GET A CELEBI IN EMERALD WITHOUT CHEATS I DIDN'T BELIEVE IT WAS REAL!!!1111

I was about 12, so actually believed those catchy titles. I was browsing those videos and I found something about a ninth gym or something. I clicked on the video and saw that the Pokemon they were using weren't even real. I didn't know it at the time, but I had just seen my first Pokemon hack (Pokemon Quartz).

I never played it (because I didn't know about emulators back then) but it was the first time I was exposed to hacked games.

Lol, that was exactly like me
    Yet, I remember this one specific video I saw, don't remember what was the game, but basically, you would fight a person with a Machoke and a Lucario. First thing that crossed my mind was "Nah, fake, you can't have Lucario in 3rd gen games", but then some other thing caught my eye. The Pokémons were recoloured in the weirdest way possible
    After beating him, you'd go up some really long stairs, kinda like Stairway to Heaven, and then you'd fight this legendary, that was kinda of a flying serpent thing, White, blue and black, and I don't think he/she/(it?) had any eyes

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2015
    I saw a video by a guy named Foullump [too bad he quit] and it got me super inspired to make a hack. I have yet to finish making one though. [i got that from foullump too?]

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • Lol, that was exactly like me
    Yet, I remember this one specific video I saw, don't remember what was the game, but basically, you would fight a person with a Machoke and a Lucario. First thing that crossed my mind was "Nah, fake, you can't have Lucario in 3rd gen games", but then some other thing caught my eye. The Pokémons were recoloured in the weirdest way possible
    After beating him, you'd go up some really long stairs, kinda like Stairway to Heaven, and then you'd fight this legendary, that was kinda of a flying serpent thing, White, blue and black, and I don't think he/she/(it?) had any eyes
    Was that Ruby Destiny: Reign of Legends?

BlueEon

Weavile
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    Well, let's just say I was ripped of when I was 6. I bought a Pokemon Naranja cartridge. It came witha box and everything, so it seemed pretty legit. I never beat it, and a few years later I found it again and looked up cheats for it, and discovered other Rom hacks like Ruby Destiny:Life of Guardians.

ZoruaAndAbsol

Master of Illusions
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2022
    Well, when I discovered you could play pokemon on your phone with an emulator, i was hit with a wave of nostalgia. I took out my phone and downloaded Fire Red right away. The next day my friend John asked me if I played Shining Opal yet and I knew there was no such thing. He said that it was a game based off of fFire Red meaning its a hack of it. I looked it up and downloaded it. That is how I found out about rom hacks.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • I don't remember too much, but I do remember somehow stumbling onto Whack a Hack, this was a few months after I discovered emulation. Pokemon Quartz was the first one I noticed (I believe it was the only completed rom hack at the time), so I tinkered around and got it to play on VBA. Then I joined this forum later on, and was amazed at how large the romhacking community is. After playing many of them, I got inspired to make my own, which I started in February and am still working on right now. xD

I think I once started a thread here for a rom hack of Ruby a few years back, but abrupty closed it after a few days because I couldn't script for nothing. xD

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2015
    After I began studying Computer Science, I became interested in doing more technical stuff. A group on a forum I frequented was doing a FireRed hack. I offered to help, and the rest, as they say, was history.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • I think I found Shiny Gold through the GSC Platinim project because I really wanted to play a GSC remake. From there I discovered PC when I wanted to download Genesia by Thrace.

Mr.Wurmple

Advanced Wurmple Trainer
    Years
  • I watched a youtube video, where a guy got to Navel Rock in Pokemon Emerald.
    Then some in the comments wrote, it was a sort of "Rom-hacking".
    After that, I discovered more, and more about this "rom-hacking".

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2015
    I learned about ROM Hacking a couple years ago thanks to random YouTube tutorials. Still trying to release a beta or alpha of a hack though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2014
    One day, I was annoyed that the games didn't follow the storyline of the anime. I looked up fan's opinions on the matter and discovered Ash Gray. A couple of months later, I modified it, because I liked it so much.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    I saw a video about pokemon bloody platin and then played it by myself and then found out more about rom hacking due to searching for similar games.

Back