• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"How do I become a moderator?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marс

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    1. How do you feel about people who to ask how to become a moderator?
    How to become one? I'm sure any forum answers such questions in a place, a FAQ for example, so I see no point in asking if such info is available.

2. If you've had experience with being part of staff on a forum, do you share advice with them?
    Don't become a moderator.

3. Do you think asking to become a moderator (or how) should be a death token for the future?
    Constantly asking to be a moderator, even if you helped a community a lot and you've been a member for years, is just irritating and annoying. So, yes, I think it should be. If you ask how to become one, a staff's job is to direct you to a place you can read how to become one.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • 1. How do you feel about people who to ask how to become a moderator?
    I've had some people ask me how to become one. I never really know what to say. But I don't mind that question, it's just the question "can I become a moderator?" that is the main issue.

2. If you've had experience with being part of staff on a forum, do you share advice with them?
    I just say that they should be good quality posters, be helpful, don't mini-mod, report stuff they see wrong, etc.

3. Do you think asking to become a moderator (or how) should be a death token for the future?
    Asking how and asking to be are completely different. With the interest in asking how to become one, that's generally a good sign that they seem to have a nice aspiration. But with asking if they can be one, it kind of gives them a lol mark on their name for a while. It eventually wears off, of course. Most of us were total nubcakes at one point or another.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2011
    1. How do you feel about people who ask how to become a moderator?
    To me, the answer to this question is simple. Since the answer is simple to me, I really have nothing against people asking how they can become a moderator. At least, simply asking the question. If it goes beyond that, such as speaking out and saying that they have done so, and they should be a mod, then I think they might just need more maturing to do, or at least back down, and rather than complain that they aren't a mod, relax and continue enjoying the forums.

The advice I share to others is simple, and thus led to what I said below. Relax, enjoy the forums, make quality posts, don't break the rules, and help out when there is help needed.

Not at all. Now, if they constantly ask to become a moderator, then I would assume that the chances get lower as it goes along, since begging/asking (even subtly) can show that you're not yet mature enough to become one just yet. How much this negates one chances can probably be how old the member is. Newbies, well... they're new, so they're possibly just innocent. However, older members should know better than to do so, and just relax rather than complain.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    1. How do you feel about people who ask how to become a moderator? Personally, I see it as a positive thing, so long as they've got the right intentions and don't just want to be a moderator for the sake of it, as people sometimes do. If a member comes to me and asks how I got my position or how they might some day gain the same position on the board, I tell them. I often say that it would require them to become a member who brings positivity to the section of their desire ahead of any other member, that they steer away from drama, be patient and hold a level head about everything. It's best that a member does not get obsessed with seeking a promotion, or making it public that they wish to be a moderator as this will not increase their chances. So when it boils down to it, I will always see it in a positive light, if a member feels that they have the potential and the maturity to handle a position, I would most certainly like to see them aspire to it.

Other than PC, I've been a staff member on a few forums, and I became staff on the forums I was active in. However I recently quit another forum, largely because I hold more dedication to my position here. But like I said, I would always offer a member advice, it's no secret as to how you become a staff member, but it can most certainly be some hard work to actually reach the position however. I've taken members under my wing before, and showed them the way to becoming a better member, and becoming staff for that matter. I won't mention names, but it is certainly beneficial to point members in the right direction, and I would always encourage people to aspire to new heights on a forum, it does wonders for the forum as well as one's involvement on the given site.

I do not feel that if a member asks to be a moderator, that they should never be considered for the position. Every member deserves a second chance, no matter what. We all change and we all grow up some day, hell, when I started out I was extremely immature, I still hold my playfulness but I've learned so much from just looking at things from a more rational perspective. If I deserved a second chance, then everyone does. Asking how is a different matter of course, I would much rather a member PM'd me and asked than went out in public and asked how, or outwardly asked if they could be one. But regardless of one's history, they deserve the chance to become a moderator, by large. No one is perfect, and every person has the ability to spark tremendous positivity.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • Odds are, if you ask to be or how to be a moderator, you're not ready to be a moderator.

If one honestly wishes to be a moderator, they must take baby steps at first. It's a big job, especially on as large a community as PC.

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
    Years
  • I like how the Smogon forums have those "badges" and labels for those that have contributed. Also, some forums have members that are "staff" but do not have "moderation" power of any sort. They just have a sort of authority.

Main thing in terms of Moderators is that some forums may not always have one online, active, or seemingly around when behavior (spam, flaming, image posting, advertising) is getting out of hand. But it does take time for such moderation to occur. As does the time for the current staff to read the "Reports and/or Private Messaging" about such negatives.

I'd rather see a member get a sticker/gold-star for positive posting/knowledge/contribution than get bumped up to a Moderator.

Especially if such a "bump" is easily visible without clicking/visiting their profile.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2010
    1. How do you feel about people who ask how to become a moderator?
    I feel that they shouldn't become a moderator, but if they're a newbie then maybe let it pass...

Don't ask, just do what you do, and you might become one.

No, newbies sometimes ask but they turn out to be good after a while.

GrifSpark

Your personal livin' Pokedex
    Years
  • How do you feel about people who ask how to become a moderator?
    It truely depends on how much effort they've put into the forum as both an individual and as a unit. If they are new, with barely any input to the community then I can barely stand it, as usually they are the kind of people who feel that if they cannot be the 'best' then they shall not stay. While I agree that that person could change if they worked for it, it just plain annoys me when this happens. On the other hand, if said person has worked hard to keep this place in tip-top shape, then I'd think that they deserved the position (although by that time the person would have probably realised what it takes to become a Moderator, and known that many people are annoyed by the question 'can I be a mod?')

If you've had experience with being part of staff on a forum, do you share advice with them?
    Well, sadly, I have no experience as being part of the staff in a forum (probably since something would end up on fire, just as usual...), and usually on this subject, I tend to find that others actually know more on this subject than I do. I'd try and help if I think they deserved it, although I don't think I would be of much help.

Do you think asking to become a moderator (or how) should be a death token for the future?
    Well, not that harsh a punishment, although probably none at all now that I think about it. It should be mentioned somewhere that a lot of people are annoyed if anyone even thinks that sentence, but not punished by any means.

I believe someone mentioned the thing about when someone says the thing everyone if thinking, but then he ends up looking ridiculous, which I think suits the whole situation of the 'can I be a Mod' question perfectly.
    Grifspark, out-

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • I just have a little advice to give people... From my experience as Staff (clearly on other forums), I've found that when a Staff member says "Closed" or "Locked" at the end of the thread they tend to say something like...

This thread has passed the 30 day revival mark (found in the main rules).

And then they say something like...

*Closed*

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back