• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"How do I become a moderator?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    "Hi, I'm new. Just registered here yesterday. I've stalked and lurked for about a year and a half and I just decided that I finally want to take part in being part of this community. Don't worry about telling me to read the rules. I already did. How do I become a moderator?"

1. How do you feel about people who ask how to become a moderator?
    2. If you've had experience with being part of staff on a forum, do you share advice with them?
    3. Do you think asking to become a moderator (or how) should be a death token for the future?

Just wondering. I hate polls like these that relates more to online things than offline myself, but my curiosity of your opinions is overbearing. A lot of people make a big deal about people who ask how to become a moderator and reply with sarcastic responses, rather than outright telling them how to become a moderator other than linking to a vague FAQ answer.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I feel, that they should at least read the rules first and then re think if asking a mod is a good thing to do.

2. If you've had experience with being part of staff on a forum, do you share advice with them?
    I was a Mod on a forum, so my advice is don't ask, your not helping yourself become one.

3. Do you think asking to become a moderator (or how) should be a death token for the future?
    No, everyone is a n00b in the beginning but they learn from their mistakes and their past mistakes shouldn't be held against them.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years

Well asking how or can they be a mod is the last thing they can do. Well asking shouldn't be necessary anyway; they can just read up on the FAQ, or rules if they are interested in becoming.

Well if they ask, I guess I can share my experiences/advice...

Like I'd tell them that you have to be kind, sincere, and helpful with all members; etc, etc.

(shrug) That's just me. Again, they can just read up this on the FAQ or Rules.

Like stated before, asking for mods is the very last thing you can do to become a moderator. Of course, ultimately, its up to the admins...
    I'd say no, cause people can change~

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I'm irritated, to say the least.

I was part of staff on a dead forum once or twice, so not really.

It should not. If they do more effort in keeping the forum clean than some of the staff, then they deserve it, even if they were idiots back then.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I think they have rights to ask, but it depends on how much experience they have on PC as the whole, how long they've been around. Idk, if they have a chance, then they should be able to ask, but because PC has a policy on not asking, it's too bad for those. Mod applications? (Yes, although Nick didn't mention it, just saying~) Wouldn't really work here imo, which does relate to asking... sooo yeah. Oh and I've been asked if I could make someone a mod, which I can't, but I just replied with how they can get modded. As mentioned, the FAQ isn't really that personal and it's more of a guide, I think actually asking current staff is a better idea than the FAQ.

Well, I'm on PC's staff now, so. I think it's best to just report, and be as helpful as you can, like, what I did was help Erica with the thread index, it was small, but hey, it still helped. I know of some other mods who helped out with things like that before getting modded, so get involved in projects in the section you're interested in too, I guess. Other than that, be active in the section you're interested in, get along well with the users, because if you do become a mod, you're going to have to get along with them eventually. Maturity matters, too, which is kind of obvious, but I really think that how mature you are defines how good you'll be as a mod, considering arguing with members isn't exactly a good idea.

Not... really. The only thing it should get is the emblem, which is just a joke thing. Oh just adding: (I'm not sure if I've given out the emblem) but idk I give out emblems for the fun of it, rather than make fun of anyone, so yeah, just clarifying. XD;
    But yeah, they should be able to ask, as said in the first question, sooo!

Last edited:

Lυcas

» Gent
    Years
    Annoyed, sometimes. If people who deserve to be a moderator for a certain section and asked, I wouldn't mind, in fact, I will support him/her. If otherwise, you're just being plain annoying, really.

I was a super moderator on forums, not Pokémon ones, and to be honest, my only advice to them is show the higher staff that you really DO deserve the position rather than constantly bothering them and all the members.

Not really, no. They could do a good job around the forum.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    It's okay to ask about that. Though it may be quite certain that the person asking is a noob, they need to be made to understand with patience and shouldn't be mocked at or insulted in any way. Your own level of maturity shows when you answer such people who desire to become mods.
    I can say this with a straight face because once upon a time, I asked a member of the staff about it, and today when I think of it I feel rather embarrassed.... I'm pretty sure that he/she will read this post. XD
    ;;
    I've never been a part of the staff, so.. I don't think that I am qualified enough to answer that.
    I don't think so, because of the reason I mentioned in the first answer.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    They aggravate me, but I can't blame them. It's sort of funny, actually; I'm sure there are plenty of people here who would jump at the chance of becoming a mod, but the brave few who actually have the nerve to ask about it are looked down upon. It's like that one guy who walks into a room and says exactly what everyone else is thinking, and yet he ends up looking like the idiot. I guess it's all a matter of tact.

I've never been on staff at a major forum like this, but I would offer what advice I could. I am human, after all, and even if I couldn't speak from experience I might still be of use.

I wouldn't say a death token, but I think it would kill their immediate chances. They might be fit for the job, but if they're blatantly asking for it then that's a sign they're not mature enough to handle it.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    1. I just think they need to read the rules better.
    2. Umm, I have never been on the staff on this forum.
    3. No, just it should cut there chances on becoming one.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    I kind of feel like they didn't read the FAQ, and staffers most likely read the FAQ. (Well, they should've. :P Unless they didn't ask.) It sometimes annoy me, though it sort of decreases their chances, I'm guessing. So it would be their own fault, I guess.
    I've been a mod to S-mod to admin on this forum before. Let's see... I think I have. They just needed to be well-mannered and helpful, sort of like how people here become staffers. If they asked me individually, I most likely would. xP
    Think I answered that in Question #1, xD. Not really, since if they REALLY deserve it, they could become staff.

KanadeTenshi

Banned
    Years
    Depends on the user. If he/she performs well and such and there's a need, why not? If it's just another idiot with 10 messages, lol in their face and and then say they don't qualify.

No. What do you mean by sharing advice?

As with the first question, it depends. If said user is active, understands the subject and helps a lot, even though he/she might want to be one for the heck of being one, why not? Another condition should be how active the forum is, and if there are any moderators there or not or if these moderators do their job well.

Years
    They might be good for the job but by asking, they are just making a fool of themselves. Just because you ask, doesn't mean you will get.

I have been a staff member on a lot of different forums. Ones for fun and others that actually make money. If I was looking for a staff member, I would look at people who have been solidly active for 6+ months and someone who is reliable.

I wouldn't say that, we are all innocent n00bs at one point, trying to help out. But it hinders more than helps if you ask.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Some forums do in fact allow applications to become moderators, and they may have only seen these types of forums in the past. There's no harm done in asking at all. I see no problem with it.

Yeah, I simply explain to them what the situation is. That we're not looking for staff and new staff are chosen by the current staff, and that if they want to be chosen then they should make good quality posts.

Definitely not.

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I find it a little annoying when people ask to be a moderator, I was on a forum before I joined this one and I learned there, that I shouldn't ask to be a moderator.

No one has ever come to me for advice of becoming a mod, so I don't give them any.
    But I have been a mod on two forums before.

Like Captain Hobo said, no, but it will cut there chances of becoming a mod.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    Some forums do in fact allow applications to become moderators, and they may have only seen these types of forums in the past. There's no harm done in asking at all. I see no problem with it.

Yeah, I simply explain to them what the situation is. That we're not looking for staff and new staff are chosen by the current staff, and that if they want to be chosen then they should make good quality posts.

Definitely not.
    exactly this, and i think it's ridiculous when people express hostility to those who simply ask (and the emblem given as what, a token of humiliation? equally ridiculous :s). it doesn't take much effort to do as Ryan said, explain how staff is selected here and encourage those members to be good contributors.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
    A lot of people make a big deal about people who ask how to become a moderator and reply with sarcastic responses, rather than outright telling them how to become a moderator other than linking to a vague FAQ answer.

I have a name for these people. "Bros".

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    It doesn't really bother me. I mean, on some sites it isn't clear that you shouldn't ask about it and it isn't the most annoying thing I've seen on a forum.
    No. I was a moderator on a forum that, thankfully, is dead now. One day out of the blue they made me a mod. They never explained why or asked me if I ever wanted to be a mod in the first place, so even today I'm totally baffled as to why I was even a mod there. And my experience as staff on that site left a bitter taste in my mouth, so I don't think I could offer good advice on the subject if I tried.
    No, IMO there are much worse offenses than that.

Years
    It depends- There are some people who are are obvious sycophantic suck ups, however, there some people who ask that because they generally want to become one to help the community.

It's always better to help other members out, and to share tips/tricks, etc, but I'm sure Staff here get blasted with questions like that on a regular basis, so It would get kind of annoying after hearing it a thousand times. But As a Staff member, your duty is to the community, so it's your job to be helpful.

Again, I don't get asked how to become a Moderator often, so I wouldn't want to call the Grim Reaper down on some hapless no0b. But I can see how it would get irritating over time, after getting asked a million times.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'm surprised so many people see it as a bad thing. Really not what I was expecting when I made this thread. I thought more people would be more encouraging about that. Also, asking "How do I become a moderator?" =/= "Can I be a mod?"

1. How do you feel about people who ask how to become a moderator? I love it when someone asks me how to become a moderator. It's something a lot of people want to ask, but really don't want to put anything on the line with it and ask someone to give off the wrong impression. I think sometimes people ask and the one thing that comes up to everyone's mind is them asking, essentially, if they can be one when that's not the case at all. I don't like nor understand why so many people think it's a bad thing and label people as n00bs for them asking what's on a lot of people's minds, established or not.
    2. If you've had experience with being part of staff on a forum, do you share advice with them? I give them advice. I actually gave two current staff members advice when they were regular members to become a moderator.
    3. Do you think asking to become a moderator (or how) should be a death token for the future? Unfortunately, I think a lot of people label it as a death token and dismiss their chances if they ever asked how to become a moderator. I don't dismiss someone's potential by them asking how to become a moderator. I don't see it as a sign of immaturity. I see it as someone being mature enough to go up to someone and ask whether than wondering and worrying.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back