• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"How do I become a moderator?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayselipera

1. How do you feel about people who ask how to become a moderator?
    I don't see anything wrong with asking. There's nothing wrong with being curious and I know others will argue that it comes off as 'nooby' but if you actually want to be a moderator to benefit the community then how will you ever know if you don't ask? I know there is an FAQ that generally lays out how a moderator is picked, but I can see where that can be too broad of an explanation or where a newer member is not even sure where to find it.

2. If you've had experience with being part of staff on a forum, do you share advice with them?
    I've never really been on another forum so of course I was never apart of staff anywhere.

3. Do you think asking to become a moderator (or how) should be a death token for the future?
    Not at all.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Indifferent. I don't mind having them ask, but at the same time it's also within the FAQ if they took the time to search. I was actually one of those members almost a year or so ago that asked the typical question to a moderator, "How do I become a mod?" So, I don't mind people asking me how to become a mod. I think it's quite nice that they are interested in becoming one, if that is their intentions for the future.

2. If you've had experience with being part of staff on a forum, do you share advice with them?

Whenever someone asks I'll either guide them to the FAQ showing the details on staff if I'm busy. If not, then I'll take the time to explain how to be on staff. The qualities needed, etc.

3. Do you think asking to become a moderator (or how) should be a death token for the future?

I don't think so. There is a difference between "Can I be a mod? and "How can I be mod?" Asking how isn't exactly asking to make a person a mod. It just shows curiosity, which I see nothing wrong with. To be honest, I think that those who do want to be on staff and put their minds to it, end up doing a great job when they achieve that goal. They work harder at it. One example would be myself and a few other members currently on staff that I know of.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    I don't really have a stance on how I feel about them. Most of the time they are just ignorant on how to become a mod, and I see nothing wrong in seeking knowledge of how to achieve Moderator Status.

I tell them, that they need to demonstrate a few attributes to even be considered for the position if we are ever looking for future Staff Members. 1. Follow all forum rules to the best of your ability, and it also helps to be well versed in the forum rules so you can assist the current staff in their jobs. 2. Make sure you want to be a Staff member for the right reasons, after all being a staff member is a job just because you get to have a special color and user group doesn't mean anything so make sure you are in it for the right reasons. 3. So that you are active on the forums, we aren't going to choose somebody that is rarely ever on the forums. 4. There is a difference between mini modding and back seat modding. So be a mini mod and help the current staff members by directing the topic/post in question to the Staff members attention or report the topic/post. Never take it upon yourself to tell the user what to do that is the staff job not yours. I probably mention other things but that was all that I thought of at the moment.

No on both them them. Asking to become a Moderator is frowned on every forum I go to, but asking isn't going to end your chances. It may my the staff second guess your reason for wanting to become a staff member though. I find that multiple infractions/warnings and suspensions is more of a death token then simply asking. Asking how isn't a death token what so ever, if anything it shows the person has an interest in becoming a mod, they just aren't aware how.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    Acctually it's explained pretty well how can someone be asked to be a moderator.
    it's in the PC rank, if i'm not mistaken...

Well they sure are ambitious, but they probably don't know how the staff, or "hireing" staff works...
    Well I haven't been a part of the staff, but I don't see how adviseing someone to behave on a forum can be a bad thing...
    IMO it shouldn't. Is it gonna be... not sure...

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years

I've gotten asked this question a lot of times on other forum sites that I've been staff on. This depends actually on how often they ask 'How do they become a moderator". This can get a bit annoying sometimes if members keep on asking I have to admit. Before asking a staff they should at least look at a FAQ but I can see if they have been on the forum for over a year to ask so that part is alright. I think mainly the new members asking how to become a staff is annoying since you don't know much about them since they just joined.

My advice would be what most people would say. Try your best to help out the site as much as you can. Try to be active on the forum and start knowing other members. Get a little bit popular on the forum so that way when it comes to elections you would get supporters.

I don't think so. I think I mainly explained everything on the first question on why.

Years
    If they have been an active member for awhile, I think that they have a right to ask if they really wish to become one. With a new member or a less active member on the other hand, they shouldn't ask for obvious reasons.
    Just be active and helpful to other members.
    No, why should it be?

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    I find it annoying. If you are moderator material then the admins will come to you and ask. Or should.

I have been staff on forums in many different places, seen a lot of things go right and wrong. I sure would if they wanted me to.

Sure, why not.

SinisterEternity

→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
    Years
    How do you feel about people who ask how to become a moderator?
    Okay ?
    I don't mind them so much, since I've been asking myself the same thing on many other forums.

If you've had experience with being part of staff on a forum, do you share advice with them?
    I generally put a rule in the rules (well, yeah xD) saying that people shouldn't ask to be moderator, to those who ask "Can I be a moderator pwease ?" anyways, because we are the one deciding who is well qualified for that. But else, to the others, we do advise and answer them sometimes.

Do you think asking to become a moderator (or how) should be a death token for the future?
    I don't see why it should .n.

And seeing how most of us have been understanding "Can I be a mod", I guess that might be how the question "How do I become a moderator" is transformed in our minds, nowadays Too many noobs asked this, while they meant "Can I be a mod" instead, yeah. xD

Years
    Not gonna lie Nick, until your second post I was reading this thread and all the answers as "Can I become a moderator?" @__@;;

I see no harm in asking for details at all! Especially on a forum as big as PC, it's not always clear how mods are chosen. If you're new, how are you supposed to know unless you ask? I don't think most people realize it's a FAQ topic in the first place.

If someone asks me, I'll answer. Depending on the day, either I'll write out a longer answer or just link them to the bit in the FAQ.

Asking how to become a mod? No way.
    Asking to be a mod? If a member asked to be a mod in a thread like waaaay back when they first joined, it shouldn't be held against them years later when they've matured and might actually be mod material. Otherwise, I'd say it's situational. It's kind of hard to explain... :(

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    If they are asking about how moderators are chosen or suchlike, then I have no problem. And I would be interested in reading how others respond to it.
    However, if they are asking to be made a moderator, then it irritates me a bit.

All the forums I have been staff on were "let's see if we can do something with this"-type forums. So yeah no advice here.

Asking how it works? No.
    Outright asking to become one? Maybe.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    If they're obviously new, inexperienced and have only had experience on a little forum...then they're REALLY ANNOYING! Seriously, just because your friend made you a mod on their tiny forum doesn't mean you are qualified.

Now if you've been at PC for at LEAST 3 years and you kinda sorta ask politely and not publicly, you're fine. If you've been a regular of any site for that long, you DEFINITELY deserve to be considered somewhat. You've earned the right to inquire about it so long as you don't inquire regularly, pester the admins or staff about it or try to make yourself too much of a nuisance. (Expressing your opinion is not being a nuisance, irregardless of what any member of staff would have you think especially when the discussion is being held in a public area of the site like CQ&F, #thepokecommunity or within your view, like with MSN/WLM group convos, ect...ect...

I don't have enough experience to qualify me to share advice. I merely have enough experience to provide an opinion.

So I wouldn't as of now, but if I gained experience, I'd share a tidbit or two to get them on the right track...especially if they're looking like they'll be a troublesome user unless they have a goal they want to achieve.

No, I do not.

Everyone is a n00b once, and it's not wrong to wish to help a site if you really and honestly love it. People who disagree with me on this question can go boil their heads...and I'm just sugarcoating that, I'd really like to tell them to do something even worse.

You simply CAN NOT treat hopeful newbies like criminals, unless they obviously cross a line and break the rules openly. THIS DOES NOT MEAN MAKE A RULE AGAINST ASKING/HOPING TO BE A MOD!

If you disobey the previous paragraph, you will eventually run out of good-hearted and talented candidates, thus forcing you to select absolute imbeciles, jerks or people with terrible temperaments for the job. This will result in a slow painful forum death where all the decent people leave the forum. It turns into a pit full of hatred and will self-destruct eventually. NO EXCEPTIONS. PERIOD. NOT EVEN CHUCK NORRIS HIMSELF CAN EVADE THIS LAW OF THE INTERNET!

Rawr. I'm a pretty stubborn girl. XD

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    If they've read the rules, or lurked around as much as some of them have claimed to.. they'd know that they shouldn't go around asking that question. So my first reaction when people ask that, is being somewhat annoyed. Then my nicer side takes over, and I guide them to FAQ, and sometimes explain things a bit to them. :/ Can't bite their heads off for wanting a status of power (because you know that's why most of them want it), even if it is only on a Pokemon forum.

Sometimes. I try to guide them into doing what's right, rather than telling them nothing at all, and take the chance of them becoming an annoyance to PC - especially when they seem to have the ability to actually be a decent staff member.

Not at all, like I said there's no harm at all in people wondering, or even asking really.. Outright asking us to make them a mod can be annoying, yes. Though, if they do that, I tend to tell them that it's the quickest way to never be one. >_>; That either shuts them up, or makes them take a different approach, and those who do correct their ways shouldn't be punished for asking / wondering.

Years
    I have no interest in being Moderator right now, even though I wish I was cause I would be more on PC than normally. It probably won't happen, since I wouldn't trust myself in a site as big as this even with other people to help.

Anyway if someone asked me I would say get in line, #246.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    I normally never comment on that as I don't really know how myself:/ I assume you need to donate some money to PC, or in some special cases just really commit yourself here more than other members.

Just read how lol. I dont find them annoying, they have every right to ask, just as long as they do not create a thread about it. But even then it is all a matter of getting used to a new forum.

Never have been staff.... Would love t though, I know I am up for it.

Definitely not. It is more like a starting token, as you know what to strve for. If you never ask then how will you know?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    1. How do you feel about people who ask how to become a moderator?: I feel that even though those people want to moderators, that's just pushing it.
    2. If you've had experience with being part of staff on a forum, do you share advice with them?: I'm a mod at another forum, but I don't share that advice with others.
    3. Do you think asking to become a moderator (or how) should be a death token for the future?: I think so, because like I said before, that's just pushing it. Being a mod is a lot of responsibility and the right to become one must be earned.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Honestly, it depends on how long they've been here. If they're new, then it's not like they should be expected to automatically know every in-and-out of PC and life here.

But then, the question really isn't "Can I be a mod?" It's asking more of how to be one of the staff, and if the member is told to follow the rules and be a good member, then that's all the better. Because it means that they have some sort of moral compass to be a member here.

I would, because I'm a fountain of knowledge. And if they receive the advice of helping a moderator, than at least the already-busy staff gets some help from some members.

Besides, it's a nice thing to do.

Not at all. I mean, everyone starts out without the knowledge of how a forum works when they first join. But people can mature and change their thoughts and actions, and just because they made some decisions that a moderator shouldn't way back in the past doesn't mean that it should be held against them.

Besides, if a moderator is expected to never make a mistake when they first joined any forum, then we would probably have absolutely no staff.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years

I don't really think anyone should ask, at least not until they're in a position to benefit the community, and is widely known/has been here a long time.

Do you mean advice to share with people who are trying to become mods on here? If so, my advice is: Don't bother. That's not the reason you should be posting on this forum. If your only reason for being here, is to become a mod, then all you're telling us is that you want power, and will abuse it. You'll never become one. (Regardless of how hypocritical my next answer sounds, I wasn't really interested in actually joining the clan until the last year or so, because before that they were way too into playing competitively, which wasn't really something I wanted to bother with.)

Definitely not. I just recently was invited into a large, invite only, CSS clan that I've been trying to get into for over 3 years now, and it turns out, the only reason it took so long, (even though I was already one of their best moderators/server admins, had one of the highest post counts, and always did everything I could to help the community) was because they knew that I was trying to get into the clan. (Although, I never actually asked to get in.) Just because I actually cared, and wanted it, they took it from me, even though I put everything I had into that clan, to make it a better place.

I've never even considered being a mod here on pokecommunity, so I don't really know how things work here, but I really hope you guys wouldn't stoop that low.

You know... I've never even checked the FAQ on how to be a mod... I just figured I'd never be one, and didn't bother with it. lol

Last edited:
    Years
    There's no harm in asking questions if you don't know the answers. Even if this question was a veiled "How do I become a moderator?" that's still not so bad. It might be a really common question, but this is a big forum.

Advice on how to become a moderator? Even if I thought I knew the magic words that would get someone modded I don't think I'd share because that wouldn't necessarily make someone a good mod. Any other advice I could give I would, though my favorite kind of advice is the kind that asks people to ask themselves "What would you do?"

There are probably dozens of other things to take into consideration that an innocent moment of asking shouldn't really be taken into it. Of course if it's someone who might be expected to know how moderators are chosen and they still ask that's more situational and might indicate other reasons why they shouldn't be modded, but not necessarily.

Years

I have nothing against people asking how to become a moderator, but I'll be against them if they brag and how much they qualify in being one and complain. In my point of view, it's just a question and there's no harm in asking if someone is just wondering how our moderators today became a moderator.

It depends what you mean by advice. If I had experience of being a moderator on a specific forum and lets say I resigned or got demoted from the team, I'll share advice like how I felt being on staff, what it was like, what tasks you have to do involving on how to be an exceptional(?) moderator.

If they asked how then in this case, curiosity does not kill the cat. As long as they're not stating that they should be a moderator. If they ask to become a moderator and get declined (which I think what will most likely happen for newcomers) then I think they shouldn't complain and learn how to become one and what they have to do and expect from being a moderator.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back