• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you deal with speaking in front of groups of people?

Years
  • I'm only a tad nervous before I start talking. After that, though, it's fine. I'm used to talking to a lot of people at once. It doesn't affect me.
    I do prefer prewritten speeches/outlines to making everything up on the spot, as sometimes that leads to excessive stuttering on my part.
    Speech classes are a must - people need to learn to communicate.

bOxieLiciOus

not here 4 lipsyncing
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2011
    at first i am nervous but as a few seconds pass if i can see that they're actually into it, my confidence boosts up. :>

Garouga! Bare Your Fangs!

Throw your fangs up!
    Years
  • My two ingredients for good public speaking:

-Fake confidence
    -Hardcore Baptist preaching voice

When I have to talk in front of people, I use both of those and rock the place. Last time I had to was during an assembly in front of the whole school. I had to explain why people should vote for me (even though I was running unopposed). Yunno what I said?

"Thank you, thank you. Yunno, we here at [name withheld] Career Center are lucky enough to have a democratic vote for the Reporter (thing I was running for) position. I remember back in 'Nam, we didn't have a Reporter. Thank you."

Yeah. I referenced fighting in a war.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • I'm really indifferent towards public-speaking. Neither do I get excited or scared when faced with communicating. I mean, it's just speaking. If I have something to say, then I'd say it, but that's not very often. I'm not a man of words and it's rare for me to talk, however. Not that many people chose me to be the public speaker anyways. I don't recall myself getting nervous when speaking to the class or a small group before. However, when addressing the whole school or speaking to someone who is of more importance than I am, I tend to studder or break in mid-sentence. I guess the pressure just gets to me.

I've only remembered once in my lifetime where I had to write a speech, and that was for a speech I had to give my school on the last day of 8th grade. All of the other time, I generally read from a book or just think of it from the top of my head. Story-telling is always better when it's fresh from the imagination. I personally think that public speaking skills are very necessary, for it improves the social skill of that person and how he or she acts. I don't feel like I need this for a job, but it's good to use it for communication with others in the future.

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
  • I absolutely HATE public speaking. I'm quite an introverted person, and I literally appear to be shaking when I have to speak in front of huge groups of people 3:

But when I HAVE to do so, I usually just hide my face behind my paper or whatever I'm reading off of ;___;

I'll overcome my shyness in time.. :/

La Denryu

WITTY CAPTION
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    I'm used to it. At my school it's compulsory to give a speech for English every year, so the real challenge is just writing it. I get fair grades for my speeches, so I guess I'm good in front of people. As long as I have it planned out. If I have to improvise, I crumble. Plus, I do performance music, so I guess that helps with being in front of an audience.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I hate doing it, but I don't get nervous.

I like to have a speech that I can just read.

No, they are not necessary.

And yes, I think there should be classed for people who aren't good at it.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • 1. How do you react to the thought of public speaking? Do you get excited or scared?
    I get adamant about not doing it.

2. Do you get nervous and end up shaking, sweating, etc?
    I just freeze.

3. Do you feel more comfortable with a pre-written speech than thinking straight off the top of your head?
    Um... any public speaking I do is usually improv, so... off the top of my head.

4. Are public speaking skills necessary for everyone? And are they necessary for you?
    No, I don't think they are necessary. Socialization and interaction skills are much more important. They are not important for me.

5. Do you think there should be classes specifically aimed at public speaking in school, due to it being an issue for some, who aren't very good public speakers?

Yes, but I don't think it should be a required course.

Back