• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you deal with speaking in front of groups of people?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Throughout our school lives, we're often told by teachers to speak in front of the class. The reason? To improve our public speaking skills for the future. Do any of us actually need them? Well... it depends on the career, usually.

I was wondering how you react, or have reacted when you've been told to speak in front of the class? Or maybe in your school it has been up to the students to volunteer. Do you get really nervous and shake, or something along those lines? Do you speak better with something pre-written, as opposed to thinking straight off the top of your head? Do you feel that public speaking skills are something everyone should have, no matter what career they have in the future? Do you think there should be classes specifically aimed at public speaking in school, due to it being an issue for some?

...aaand to make it easier:

1. How do you react to the thought of public speaking? Do you get excited or scared?
    2. Do you get nervous and end up shaking, sweating, etc?
    3. Do you feel more comfortable with a pre-written speech than thinking straight off the top of your head? Share any experiences where you had to deal with either.
    4. Are public speaking skills necessary for everyone? And are they necessary for you?
    5. Do you think there should be classes specifically aimed at public speaking in school, due to it being an issue for some, who aren't very good public speakers?

I generally react positively to the thought of public speaking. I'm proud of my voice when it comes to public speaking, because I do put correct emphasis on words and all that sort of stuff (which is handy that I want to be in the media). It's just when I need to think quickly I get worried because thinking ahead sucks (yet I always manage to get laughs out of people when doing so, like today when we discussed something about Santa being real and I ended my point on "death to Santa", which was totally random and unexpected of me). Though my preference is planning ahead, because that way I can concentrate more on how I can convey my voice rather than what I'll say. Oh and today, it was strange, I ended up shaking when speaking in front of the tutorial, which is unusual of me. I guess when I need to think quickly it affects me a little more, whereas when I know what I'll say, I never shake. I always used to volunteer to read out things throughout my school life, so in a way it does come naturally, to me.

I think in every profession people should know how to deal with public speaking because it does affect how people see you. If you shake and all that sort of stuff, then you'll come across as less professional (like my friend in high school who... wow, shook so much). I also think that public speaking is important in general real life situations too, so I think that in the education system people should concentrate on it more earlier on in the student's lives, rather than leave it up to them to learn it in university, or not at all, depending on what people choose to take.

Your thoughts?

Years
    For me it varies, if im speaking on a subject I'm knowledgeable in, or a topic i like, it's much easier to make a speech/talk in front of people about it. If I were talking about History/Political Science, I could talk for hours on end. Math? Not so much. xD

But there's no doubt it's an important skill to have, especially in today's workplace.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    im not that confident of a public speaker, my speeches usually start off a little shaky but after awhile i can get used to being the center of attention. i have no problem teaching lessons to children (i can even sing to them without feeling nervous or flustered), i guess that's because i'm not speaking to make a particular impression, just to teach simple things to simple minds and have fun with them. i can't say how important public communication skills are to the individual, but they're extremely useful to have when job-seeking.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Speaking in front of my class is the thing I fear most, and I'm not much of a social person either. Go me.

I've been told to speak in front of the class countless times, on occasions when I have to answer a particular question (which I can do pretty easily), explain some theorem or something, read out an assignment etc. Whenever my teacher starts to ask us questions, I have my head down all the time XD. My voice trembles in between the lines sometimes, but I don't really shake or anything. I'm always negative about speaking in front of a group, but sometimes enthusiasm can spur out of me.

I feel more comfortable with a pre-written speech, but I can deal with either. I sometimes break in between the lines when I have to think from the top of my head. From personal experience, I feel more comfortable with a piece of paper and practice. I think that public speaking skills are a good aspect of a person, if you want to be able to express something, and be acknowledged for it. Not really a necessity, but yes, sometimes it can help people out.

Our school makes us speak in the assembly everyday, in front of a huge crowd of people. That's practice enough.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I just breath twice and go ahead. Usually, when all the people in my gorup are shy I'm the default solution (let him do it!) so I'm kind of used to it XD Plus, I can keep a mental order of everything I'm going to say pretty well, even without written help, so it's not that hard. And yeah, I always think of what I'm going to say first, so I don't forget anything. I'm not that great being spontaneous XD

And well, it depends on what you are trying to be, maybe it isn't so necessary for a doctor but some careers absolutely require you to, as Nixca the journalist will know :P

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Funny. This year we have a public speaking class and I've also signed up for toastmasters. Last night, I had to recite my favourite poem and explain why I liked it and all that jazz for toastmasters in front of a crowd of forty or so, which was easy enough. I've acted in front of about five hundred, I think, so whenever I have to present something or do something in front of people, I just pretend I'm acting. Works for me. I always feel nervous before getting up on stage but as soon as I plow into the first line, I get an adrenaline rush and everything feels good.

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
    Well, when I get told I have to speak in front of the class... my heart just drops and I think to myself "Oh fudge.. D:". I try to think of excuses to get out of it. If I HAVE to speak in front of people however, before I start, I get extremely nervous, as if I am going to die or something. I make a big fuss out of it. I start to breathe heavily. I become weak at the knees. I actualy need encouragement to do it.

When the time comes to start the speech/talk, I begin to read (while of course, panicing/sweating), I'm alright at first it seems. Though the more I read on, the more I want to stop as I don't like hearing myself speak and the fact people have been staring at me for so long makes me paranoid..

I prefer pre-written speech as I can just keep my head down while reading out rather than looking at people in the eye (which I hate doing).

I think public speaking skills are necessary if you want to voice your opinion, to have a say in something. Unfortunately I'm not someone who has the confidence to do that. o/

I think classes should take place that teach students/adults/whoever to feel better about themselves when speaking in public.. and that it's no big deal really... I know.. this is coming from someone who has completely zero confidence to speak. xDD;

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    1. How do you react to the thought of public speaking? Do you get excited or scared?
    More excited than scared, I'm more of an active person than a person who does bookwork
    Not usually but when I do it's the "butterflies in my stomach won't stop" (Lame JB useage-.-)
    3. Do you feel more comfortable with a pre-written speech than thinking straight off the top of your head? Share any experiences where you had to deal with either.
    I can improv only when I know the subject well but I usually do write my speeches
    4. Are public speaking skills necessary for everyone? And are they necessary for you?
    Well to be confident in what you do you, probably...?
    5. Do you think there should be classes specifically aimed at public speaking in school, due to it being an issue for some, who aren't very good public speakers?
    Well I take Speech and Drama Classes for the past 5 years and I used to be pretty shy back then but I'm real confident now. We used to have Drama back in year 8 (7th Grade) and a lot of people loved it. I think it'd be nice for it to be compulsory but it's different for other people

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I'm okay with it. It doesn't excite or scare me, it's just something I sometimes have to do.
    No, but I am known to stutter sometimes.
    Last speech I gave, I didn't have it written out verbatim, but I had reference notes on a Power Point slide, so I was okay with it.
    I need them, but as far as others... depends on their field of work, though the need to speak in public can take anyone by surprise.
    We had one such class in college. But like I said, some people need it more than others, so it should be an elective unless your field of study is something that does require a lot of public speaking.

Years
    I hate it, whenever I have to do it in class I dread it.
    I get nervous, but I don't end up shaking or sweating.
    Yes, because I find it easier to read off something than coming up with it off your head with everyone watching you.
    I think that they are. For myself, I think that they will become necessary for me in the future.
    Hmm, this is interesting. I think there should be, it would help me a lot.

Years
    When I was back in school all those years ago, haha, I never once failed an oral assignment.
    I passed with flying colours. I never ever got nervous about speaking in front of people whether it be 20 or 200 people around me.
    It just isn't something that ever bothered me I guess.
    I also never ever wrote anything down, I never did any prep work for any of the speaking tasks I had to do for school, got me in trouble but oh well.
    I was more the kind of person to just wing it and see what happens. I have a really good memory, even if it didn't seem like I was listening in class, I could still pull out all the details I needed for a good spoken assignment :)

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Scared, I hate doing speeches the most tho.

Yea.

3. Do you feel more comfortable with a pre-written speech than thinking straight off the top of your head?
    Yea.

Yup, and they might be depending if I want to become a Zoologist or not.

There are in my school, at least many clubs :D

Ayselipera

I get really anxious, scared, nervous, nauseous.

I pretty much end up moving around awkwardly. Like twisting my hands together or constantly moving my hands by my neck.

I actually prefer thinking off the top of my head rather then reading off a paper. When I read off a paper I end up talking really fast and slurring my words. When I'm thinking off the top of my head it comes out a bit more naturally.

If your career choice is headed in a public speaking direction then yes. I have no intention of ever publically speaking more then just for a classroom so in my case no, not at all. :D

No because then I would have to take that class and suffer through it. I just don't like when the spotlight is on me in any situation so enduring a class of public speaking would be torture for me. Even if it is aimed to get me over that point.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    1. How do you react to the thought of public speaking? Do you get excited or scared?: I get somewhere between excited and scared when I'm about to speak in public.

: I shake at times, but when I get really nervous, I stutter as well.
    3. Do you feel more comfortable with a pre-written speech than thinking straight off the top of your head? Share any experiences where you had to deal with either.: I'm comfortable doing a pre-written speech because it gives me a basic idea on what to say. As for experiences when I had to deal with either: there are too many for me to remember.

: It's necessary for everyone because I know that someone has to give out an important speech at some point in their lives. It's necessary for me because I have to work on my public speaking skills.

: Yes, I think so because if those people want their voices to be heard, then how will they be able to give out their speeches?

uskelly

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • MN
    • Seen Jun 4, 2011
    Well, you could say I'm odd for being in a Classical School of Rhetoric dealing especially with things of speech...

1. I use to be afraid of public speaking, but not anymore, I enjoy it now :) I think I remember hearing a statistic that public speaking is one of America's biggest fears.
    2. I still shake and my heart rate increases, kind of like a roller coaster :)
    3. Pre written completely would be out of my league :P To have a 2-3 minute speech memorized is amazing. A skill that we use is note taking. Bassically summary to help us keep track but not to divert eye contact. Organization if key.

4. For me? Being in a school of rhetoric yesir :P As human, I'd highly advise it. With public speaking, you are also increasing your speaking and communication skills. I've read once that no matter how great of an idea you have, it is virtually USELESS if you don't have the ability to communicate it to others. Communication is the key to success, happiness, etc. There's an English saying that the squeeky wheel gets the gas. This is very true.
    5. ...Uhm I'm in one! It's a hard question really. Some are born with great communication skills. Other could improve. It's definitely good but probabbly wouldn't be chosen as much if it was optional.

Hard question. We can't ALL be leaders. I guess for those wanting to be leaders or improve thier speaking skills, it's highly advised.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Neither. If it's speaking about a subject I'm interested in, I enjoy it. Otherwise I just don't care.

I can sometimes feel a little nervous, usually only happens if I'm talking about something I don't know much about so I feel like I'm making a fool of myself if I'm unsure about something.

Depends on what I'm talking about. If I'm unsure I would much rather have it pre-written, otherwise I would rather do it off the top of my head because then I can just talk about whatever comes to mind rather than having to repeat what's on the paper. Being flexible usually makes things easier for me.

Not for everyone. It depends on where they want to go in life and what ambitions they have. I think they are necessary for me, because I would much rather go into a profession where I interact with other people.

No. I've seen how much some people hate speaking in front of others, it's a confidence issue usually. If they aren't confident, they aren't going to enjoy public speaking. You can teach people to be good at it, but you can't teach them to enjoy it. If they don't enjoy it then they won't even end up using the skill they've been taught. So it would be redundant. For those that aren't good at it, but really want to get better at it, they'll just have to learn to better themselves. If you have the confidence then it isn't that difficult.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I get nervous. But I get excited more.

I end up feeling nervous and shaking.

I feel more comfortable thinking of it in the top of my head.

I don't think its necessary. It ain't necessary for me.

I don't think so. We go to school to learn, not to become good public speakers.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    I get excited, but nervous when the time finally comes.

My cheeks turn a little red and I can't stop smiling and laughing at the end of my sentences.

It depends on the subject, really. I can't think of an example, but I know I have more to say about some things than others. I don't really care if I have it written down.

Nah, not exactly. My jobs are more social than they are professional. I just treat customers like friends, no need to be prim and proper for them. They like it better than way anyway.

There is. My mom took it. Though, I think it might just be an American thing? I dunno.

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
    Years
    Well seeing as how it is one of my biggest fears, I definitely get scared!
    I shake, sweat, I slurr my words, I literally look like there is something wrong with me.
    Uhm to be honest I don't really like any, all my speeches have been off paper and I still had great difficulty reading to the crowd
    I don't think they're Necessary but I do think they're useful especially in your future career.
    I think there are already classes that deal with this kind of thing but I have never been to one, I wish I had tho!

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
    Nervousness.

I forever have it when speaking in front of the class.

If I'm still at my place though it isn't too bad, but even if the class is really small, I cannot speak very well.

Public speaker, I could never be.

Back