• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you decide what Pokémon you like?

'Zard

Vulpes bicaudata's alternate
Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2010
    How do you decide what Pokémon you like? What's the most important factor?

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Thats a reallllllllllyyy good question! :O

Im not reallllllllyyyy sure :\ I guess I just like sorta get attracted (not sexually xD) and -BOOMSHAKALAKA- you've gotta fav!

I guess the design is a big factor for me, which I bet the next 100 people will repeat throughout the rest of this thread xD

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
  • I don't decide on what the quality of the sprite neither the strength of the Pokemon is when I choose which I like, it's more of just an instant "Ooooh, I like this one" so it's more of an instinct factor for myself. If it rings my bells of interest then most likely, it will become one of my favourites. If the so called favourite Pokemon can be used well in the battle, then I will get a bonus with it for being able to use it in battle. Though even if it is a weaker one I will still try to somehow use that Pokemon.

Last edited:

cyan.

▲ 愛してる .
    Years
  • I always judge by appearence first, because I`m just that. Then I look at wether it evolves or not, or when it evolves.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Believe it or not, their actual appearance doesn't play as big a role as the concepts that go into it. :D

I'm also highly attracted to pokemon with solid defensive typing and a pretty fun movepool. :P

Ayselipera

Appearance is the number one reason why I'll like a Pokemon or not. After that it comes down to performance and lastly it would probably be move pool.

For example I used to hate Swampert (I'm still not a huge fan) due to how dumb it looks, but then I ended up using it and realized it wasn't a bad Pokemon at all. Just goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover! It's nice to know that some sayings even apply to Pokemon. :)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • To start off, I make all judgments based on a Pokemon's final evolutionary form, since that is the form I'll be using the most. I judge first by appearance. I'm sorry, but I just can't get myself to use a Pokemon that I don't find attractive. Stats are usually my second consideration, but I'm willing to overlook stats if the Pokemon happens to be especially attractive to me (i.e., Persian.)

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
    Years
  • I judge the Pokemon I like by their types, because for example there could be a Starmie with Water/Psychic. And with such a brilliant design like Starmie, I have to have it! xD

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • I can't really describe it, but it's the feeling you get that tells you that it's something that you'll like. I guess the way the Pokemon looks matters. However, being a specific type is a bonus. I find myself liking more Dragon-type and Fire-type Pokemons than any of the rest.

A Pokemon's base stats or move-pool doesn't make me like it. I think Magikarps are amazing, but I would never use it in a battle. Some Pokemons have horrible move-pools, but I still love them just the same.

Trigaradon

I COME IN PEACE
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2011
    I don't "decide" what pokemon I like. My love for them just develops over time.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I tend to go by looks....and if somebody pwns me with one, I tend to assume it's awesome and try to get one asap.

Movepool affects it, too.....if I suddenly find out my pokemon has crap variety, and I have 2 pokemon that I like doing the same job one pokemon I really like can do....I usually ditch them and go for the good one.

Overall, it's got to be Aesthetics, though. Sprites don't half make a difference, which is why I wasn't that keen on Milotic in Emerald (sprite is a bit crappy, Gen IV does it more justice)

Roxichu

Blastoff at the Speed of Light
    Years
  • The Generation 1 Pokémon, and those latter-day generation Pokémon that most resemble their design appeal to me the most.

It's a nostalgia thing, but I'm not very keen on those Pokémon that more like Digimon (*cough* Reshiram *cough* Zekrom *cough*).

Destiny.

The Absol Master
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2019
    Stats/movepool first then epic design from there on.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I go by what they look like, since at first that's all we have to judge by.

Eventually, even one's whose designs I don't care for will grow me, if I use them enough in-game.

What also matters is their type, and their evolution line.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Just looks super cool I suppose. Plus I was given a plushie and he grew on me. <3

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • I don't care about stats, honestly. I judge them by their looks and awesomeness. Or, I just get attached with them by spending a lot of time with that Pokemon. ~Blaziken~

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • I usually have to play through most of the game just once, then I tend to have a greater feel for what some REALLY good pokemon are to add to my team. I generally plan my team out before I start, but not always.

SuperiorCat

トウコ
    Years
  • Whatever my first impression of the Pokemon is, I usually stick to.

So, for me, I'd say appearance is the most important factor when I'm judging whether I like a certain Pokemon or not. .-.

Back