• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you feel about Same-Sex Marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    We've had debates about marijuana, abortion, health care, etc.

How do you feel about same-sex marriage? Do you support it? Why or why not?

I believe that if a state wants to legalize same-sex marriage, they should be able to. I don't think the federal government should meddle in the issue, however.

(Let's try to keep this debate civil, folks.)

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • It should be allowed, People have the right to live there lifes how they want as long as it is not breaking laws and almost all laws are fair and balanced.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
  • How do you feel about same-sex marriage? Do you support it? Why or why not?

I'm definitely not against same-sex marriage. The arguments against gay marriage are usually bogus, and born from outdated religious perspectives. People should be able to marry whoever they want.

Yurusumaji

The Collector
    Years
  • I support it because one of my close friends is transgendered, another is gay and my brother-in-law is also gay. I love them and I feel that they deserve to be happy.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Same sex marriage is not wrong. I believe that anyone who disagrees is simply being old-fashioned. This isn't a good thing always because as new generations pop out, society slowly drifts with them. I respect the arguments against them but I will NEVER agree.

Years
  • I am not against same-sex marriage but I think it should be named difference kind of old fashioned but I think marriage is between a man and a woman,
    Civil partnership, same sex partnership, which is essentially marriage anyway I completely agree with
    I'm also not really aware of the laws on transgender marriages but I do think that if someone undergoes that change then they should be classified as whatever gender they changed into and not classified as transgender

Years
  • I support gay marriage. I don't have any gay friends and I only know two or three gay people but I definitely support their right. To the people saying it'll ruin the word marriage, I think it has already been ruined by heterosexual couples with domestic abuse and countless divorces, so if the gays want to get married let them at it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Him/Them
    • «UK»
    • Seen Apr 6, 2024
    Well if your on about a religious same sex marrage I would personally have to say that id disagree with it. I wouldn't want to be any part in a religion that houses so many people who have hatred towards same sex relations.
    As for unreligous ceremonies or civil partnerships or whatever there called I think that it should be universal for it to be accepted and recognised.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I give this post five pages...

Same-sex marriages I'm all for. It's a clichéd quote, but "they have the same right to get married and be as unhappy as the rest of us". If a couple wants to have not only the societal benefits that come with a marriage, but also the legal benefits that come with it: more power to them. I understand why people would not want to call it a 'marriage' and refer to it as something else, but I don't particularly agree with those reasons.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I'm all for same sex marriage, I don't see what's wrong with it, if two people love each, shouldn't that be enough? People can't help it if they love a same sex. If people think marriage is so sacred, why not just outlaw divorce.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    People's objectioning probably stems from the matter of marriage oft being a religious observance, and most religions tend to get uppity about homosexual relationships. I hold no issue with same-sex marriage, I neither support nor admonish it; but will say that if one wishes to get married in a church by a vicar or somesuch, one should do so according to the stipulations of the relevant religion, or avoid doing so and instead marry secularly if those stipulations work against one (which they tend to, it seems).

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    Dave_ said:
    I am not against same-sex marriage but I think it should be named difference kind of old fashioned but I think marriage is between a man and a woman,
    Civil partnership, same sex partnership, which is essentially marriage anyway I completely agree with

Except you don't agree with it bby. If it's not ~marriage~, it's not equality. Civil unions are meant to placate people who get squicked by the idea of gay marriage and still give the ~rights~ of marriage but they do fall short. And, if I may be blunt? I really don't care if people are squicked by the idea of gay marriage. That's their personal problem that they need to deal with. A squick is a squick. It shouldn't have any part in determining who can marry who. So long as the relationship is consensual and the people are of age, what does it matter?

Course I support it <3 There's no different between straight and gay relationships. They have the same heart breaks and the same happy glows. The same fights and spats, the same tears and huggles. The only thing really that's different is what happens in the bedroom and tbqh I don't wanna know about anyone's sex life regardless of who he/she is. v-v; No offense it's just not my business ehe <3

I'm even more strongly for gay adoption rights. My band director adopted a little girl nobody wanted who had extreme issues (special needs list) and she's now a totally normal healthy little girl. >:o take that people who think gays ruin children! There are tons of kids in the US who are in the foster care system waiting for a forever home and I bet money if they lessened the adoption rules and allowed gays more freedom in adopting, a good chunk of those kids would find loving forever homes <3

Also.

VIVIO HAS TWO MOMMIES AND SHE TURNED OUT TO BE AWESOME. \o/

Last edited:

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • It's not my business, so why should I punish them for it? If they're happy and not making anyone else not happy, then I'm perfectly fine with them doing what they want in life. :/

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • Religion is not based on anything. It is an arbitrary and ridiculous concept. People have the right to have any delusions they want, but they do not have the right to enforce them on others. Homosexuals are not better or worse than the rest of us, they are essentially the same, save for their preferences. They deserve the same rights we deserve. Banning same-sex marriage is the same as banning interracial marriage. It is ridiculous, and the fact that people even think about it disgusts me.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I personally feel the government has no place in anyone's sex life and shouldn't be able to dictate if homosexuals are allowed to get married. I really wish the issue wouldn't run further than that, but unfortunately it does.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • It should be a protected right mandated by the federal government. Individual states should not be allowed to prohibit what ought to be a basic human right.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    It should be a protected right mandated by the federal government. Individual states should not be allowed to prohibit what ought to be a basic human right.
    These are my exact feelings on the matter. I'm actually disgusted that it isn't protected under any laws. Government and religion shouldn't be mixed, and that seems to be the case with marriage. It's both something political and religious, but -- then again -- to a lot of people, it's mostly one or the other...

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    These are my exact feelings on the matter. I'm actually disgusted that it isn't protected under any laws. Government and religion shouldn't be mixed, and that seems to be the case with marriage. It's both something political and religious, but -- then again -- to a lot of people, it's mostly one or the other...

I agree it should be mandated but if you look at the fiasco in Iowa you'll see why that's still a generation or two away from happening.

Our House speaker for the House of Rep in Iowa pretty much committed political suicide by preventing a bill to revoke the gay marriage right from getting onto the floor. He's well aware he may not be reelected and he couldn't care less because he did what he thought was right.

For some people it's very similar to the interracial marriage crisis of the post ww2 and post civil rights era. My 91 year old grandmother cannot stand the idea of 'mixed blood' in a marriage. My parents and my uncles are completely for interracial marriage because they grew up in an era where it was widely accepted and tbh they couldn't care less.

In contrast, those same parents and relatives are adamantly against gay marriage. My generation is not.

I think, to some extent, that the issue of gay marriage is going to be a byproduct of 'it gets better' because, as morbid as it is, the opponents will age out or die out and the numbers for will be greater than the numbers against.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    For some people it's very similar to the interracial marriage crisis of the post ww2 and post civil rights era. My 91 year old grandmother cannot stand the idea of 'mixed blood' in a marriage. My parents and my uncles are completely for interracial marriage because they grew up in an era where it was widely accepted and tbh they couldn't care less.

In contrast, those same parents and relatives are adamantly against gay marriage. My generation is not.

My mother was talking to her 81-year-old aunt about how she couldn't find a job. My aunt blamed it on gay marriage. >_>

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back