• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you feel about Same-Sex Marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
  • I just feel I should point out that Neil Patrick Harris - who plays Barney Stinson on How I Met Your Mother and is therefore the inspiration for your username - is married (not legally, but for all intents and purposes) to another man, and they have twins together :)

I know right! In films/HIMYM he is like the straightest guy ever XD

I approve of homosexuals I think it is normal. I mean they are only the same gender right and nothing else, it isn't like they are attracted to an animal or anything, so I don't see why a lot of people hate gays so much :/

However in terms of marriage I don't think they should marry (although I couldn't care less) just because marriage is a tradition and a ceremony for just a man and a woman, always has been. Maybe if they create a type ceremony or something that has the same binding as marriage? But yeah I think they should have some sort of rite along those lines, it isn't fair they have one less rite than everyone else. We are all equal.

In the Catholic church my RE teachers sister married a protestant (which was disapproved of) so they convinced the priest to marry them in a catholic church anyway, but instead they were married in front of the alter (or behind, opposite side where Catholics get married) so i guess they can bend the rules like that for gays too.

^SuitUp^

Awesome Soon to be Spriter
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 14, 2012
    I just feel I should point out that Neil Patrick Harris - who plays Barney Stinson on How I Met Your Mother and is therefore the inspiration for your username - is married (not legally, but for all intents and purposes) to another man, and they have twins together :)

I never said I was against it I said it grosses me out, and Barney Stinson is awesome no matter what! =)

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jan 4, 2023

However in terms of marriage I don't think they should marry (although I couldn't care less) just because marriage is a tradition and a ceremony for just a man and a woman, always has been. Maybe if they create a type ceremony or something that has the same binding as marriage? But yeah I think they should have some sort of rite along those lines, it isn't fair they have one less rite than everyone else. We are all equal
    Absolutely false. Marriage is a very old tradition which was created by government, not religion (religion just adopted it), and the very first records of it showed that it was not a joining of two people of opposite sexes, but a joining of multiple people of any sex.

So you're pro-gay-polygamy? :D

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years

• However in terms of marriage I don't think they should marry (although I couldn't care less) just because marriage is a tradition and a ceremony for just a man and a woman, always has been. Maybe if they create a type ceremony or something that has the same binding as marriage? But yeah I think they should have some sort of rite along those lines, it isn't fair they have one less rite than everyone else. We are all equal.

Absolutely false. Marriage is a very old tradition which was created by government, not religion (religion just adopted it), and the very first records of it showed that it was not a joining of two people of opposite sexes, but a joining of multiple people of any sex.

The problem with creating a different type of ceremony and not calling it marriage, even if identical rights were granted, is that it still creates segregation. If everyone is to be truly equal, it has to be the same. There has to be no reason whatsoever for anybody to think that one type is better than the other. Separate is not equal.

There is also the point to be made that tradition often dates itself and no longer fits in with the needs of the current evolving population. Just because something has always been one way, does that mean it always has to be?

Last edited:

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
  • I just feel I should point out that Neil Patrick Harris - who plays Barney Stinson on How I Met Your Mother and is therefore the inspiration for your username - is married (not legally, but for all intents and purposes) to another man, and they have twins together :)

LOL.

However in terms of marriage I don't think they should marry (although I couldn't care less) just because marriage is a tradition and a ceremony for just a man and a woman, always has been.

You don't care, but you don't want them to marry? Do you have trouble counting to 20? Sounds like you care, hun. I thought Sydney-siders would be the most tolerant. Oh well, maybe I have a fair amount of ignorance to boot out myself.

Maybe if they create a type ceremony or something that has the same binding as marriage? But yeah I think they should have some sort of rite along those lines, it isn't fair they have one less rite than everyone else. We are all equal.

"Maybe we should create two schools- where blacks attend one, and whites attend the other!!!" That's the same kind of line you're traversing, pal. It's called discrimination, even though you say you're not homophobic. Hopefully mankind does not go down a similar path again.

I never said I was against it I said it grosses me out, and Barney Stinson is awesome no matter what! =)

I agree about Barney, but you need to grow up. "Grosses me out?" What are you, five?

Like I have said before, marriage was more contractual than ceremonial. The interesting thing is, like I mentioned, is that religious people argue about sanctity, when marriage wasn't originally about love at all. Then there's tradition- religious people arguing as though they've always "owned" marriage. Marriage became more about love in the 19th century (during the Industrial Revolution), when both parties earned money independently, and didn't have to collectively rely on each other's families for assets, money, etc..

It's fine for Christians to not want to perform a religious ceremony wedding two people of the same gender- it's their belief, and pushing them into performing a ceremony they do not want to perform is a form of oppression. However, religious people cornering the gay community into not legally marrying (as in, earning the same rights as heterosexually married couples) because of their beliefs is just as unfair.

Just because something has always been one way, does that mean it always has to be?

Exactly. We're changing, and part of our problems arise from the fact that we allow people to cling onto beliefs that are no longer applicable to today's society.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    If I were a California lawmaker, I would introduce a bill that essentially does the following:

1) Abolish the state recognition of marriage and instead have the state recognize civil unions between consenting adults (and minors who are emancipated, have parental permission, or get a waiver of parental permission from a court of law), regardless of how many people are in the union. The intent of this is to take marriage out of the government. Those people who want their union to be recognized as a marriage by their religion would have them recognized as such according to that faith's guidelines.

2) Guarantee the rights of individuals and organizations to express their opinions on topics related to homosexuality. This would also protect the rights of religious organizations to not recognize a same-sex civil union and/or a polygamous civil union (or even an opposite-sex civil union if a religion that opposes them exists) as a marriage without the fear of a lawsuit, hate crimes prosecutions, or a loss of their tax-exempt status.

3) My bill would guarantee the right of the parents and legal guardians of minors the to opt-out of public school instruction when topics related to human sexuality that they do not wish their children to be exposed to will be discussed. Adult students in public schools, colleges, and universities will also be able to opt-out of this instruction in courses that are required for graduation.

Problem solved! This system does not "defile the sanctity of marriage", it does not penalize churches for not approving of homosexuality, and those people who don't want their kids exposed to homosexual topics can pull their kids from class.

Last edited:

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
    Years
  • Oh, how I love living in Denmark, where it's perfectly legal for homosexuals to marry each other. Seriously, sometimes I fail to see how there can even be a question of legalizing gay marriage? As marriage is, after all, a religious ceremony, I feel that I may need to point out that I am not religious. Whatsoever. However, if a homosexual couple would want to be married with all that ceremony-stuff and the church-thingy, of course they should be allowed, why the hell not? If a man and a woman are allowed to be joined before some deluded concept of a deity, why can't homosexuals?

SuicuneAngel08

Dancing On Water
    Years
  • I'm fine with same-sex marriage. I think that I'm a Lesbian (gay) myself. I get uncomfortable around my family about it though. It's very hard to tell them that i'm a Lesbian (gay) or Bisexual cause they believe it's wrong, or deny it. They also blame my mental illnesses & the medicines for them on me feeling like i'm a Lesbian or Bisexual, which isn't TRUE to me cause i had this "questioning" all through high school. One of my high school friends told me that their friend, who was kinda my friend too, didn't like me cause they remember when i told them that i might be Bisexual. Apparently now, they don't like me as a friend or person cause of that. I am still "questioning" myself, but i might be a Lesbian, cause i have romantic dreams about them & crush on them, i have kissed a guy for the first time we dated years ago, but it wasn't that great! And he wasn't good at kissing. I've never kissed a girl before, & deny kissing them or anything like that around my family, but i think i want to sometime someday. Sorry if i sound like a pervert or anything by saying all of this. It's TRUE though. I try to be Straight for my family to accept me & not be mad at me, or not be mad at all. But each time I became very depressed & when i thought i was Bisexual, it seemed okay. Then shortly after that i'd be a Lesbian, like now. I'm sooooo confused! I'm so sorry if i sound like a pervert or anything here with saying this. I'm NOT a pervert or anything, 100% Honest! I think that i'm a Lesbian. I've just never kissed a girl before. I want to though. Sorry again for sounding perverted or anything. I'm NOT a pervert or anything. I'm just confused! But i think that i'm REALLY a Lesbian. I don't mind same-sex marriage. I just act like i do around my family so they won't get upset with me about it. But I don't mind same-sex marriage. If GOD didn't want us to be Bisexual or Gay (Lesbian), he wouldn't have created us to be that way. Right?

Her

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen today
    oh honey I'm liberal about thread revival but a nearly six year old thread is too much

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back