• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you identify with your username?

nm legend

Years
    well my username is preety random/pointless and has notin to do with me i guess...this is a pokemon forum so at the time i was tryin to get a poke related wutever name....and it was notin much but a legend route i was tyrin to go with and there it is.....

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Do you remember your first username you may have registered years ago or maybe just a few days ago?
    That's the one I have now.

Originally, what spurred you to create the username?
    It's the username I used in all the online games I used to play, as well as other forums. I can't remember what inspired it, it just popped into my head one day when I was thinking of a video game character name.

Did you revert back to it when name changes had a final request period? If so, why?
    I've never changed my name.

What significance does that username have to you? Is it because it was your first username online anywhere - so you want to hold onto it for nostalgia reasons?
    If I had the option, I would change my username. It holds significance in that it represents the person I used to be, the person I would rather leave behind and move on from. It doesn't really bother me that much, but yeah, there's certainly nothing positive that I associate with this username.

Were you afraid that people would remember your past and treat you differently due to that, or maybe in general the name just appeared to be "noobish" so you didn't want to embarrass yourself?
    I've never been ashamed of my past, besides I wouldn't have thought a simple name change would have made people forget who I actually am. I have a pretty distinct posting style I think... I have no problem with the name itself though.

If this is your only username you've ever had and you were around before the end of name changes, why did you keep it in the first place and now even, for those who weren't around then, why haven't you made a new account to change names?
    At the time I had no problem with it and was stil using this username everywhere. I only recently decided I'd rather come up with a new one for the "new me" but that was after the end of name changes. I'd rather not make a new account because I'd lose all my statistics and I'd rather not do that. And as I said before, it doesn't matter that much to me. People would still see in the same way, it's just more of a personal thing.

I guess I do associate certain usernames with certain parts of my life, strange I guess. But as people grow older, mature and change aspects of their identity and personality, it just seems fitting to change an optional name to suit that as well, even if it is a very trivial thing.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    I love my username!
    It's the first one I thought off, and it wasn't occupied! :D
    In fact, not only do I like it, but my PC friends already gave me a nickname...

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    This was my first user-name when I first created an account online, and it still is. I can only remember a few times when I use a different user-name as my online persona. One day, my cousin was showing me a site where she goes to. I wanted to join too, but she said that I have to make a user-name first. It took me a whole hour to figure something out. Then, my cousin said it was too stupid so she erased it. I wanted this user-name to be special for me, something that I could never get tired of. Then, it hit me; earlier, I was going through a list of German names that my friend had for his German class and the name Wolfgang appealed to me. I don't know why I fancied it, but at that moment my online persona was created. I then placed my initials before Wolfgang, and here you go~

Yeah, I liked my user-name being Drizzle, but BHwolfgang called out to me. This user-name of mine has been with me for three long years. It's so significant to me because of the all time I had while under this persona. I don't even think that I'll change it to something else if I had the chance. Ha ha, sometimes, I think that this user-name is kinda n00bish, but it doesn't matter. I'm still a n00b, so that fact doesn't faze me much. I don't think I ever did anything infamous under this persona to make users hate me. If so, then I'm terribly sorry! Actually, I have made one alternative account. However, I only use it for testing with color schemes and the occasional visitor messaging friends when I'm bored. What I like about a user-name is that it gives one a chance at being creative with their names.

No. Please, this is a community of humans and animals. There's no more room for robots.

Years
    I originally joined PC as Signomi and has been my initial handle for 5 years, although I made numerous changes to Shiharu, but that name never did catch on as much as my first username here did.

Signomi is a Greek word for "Sorry" or "Excuse me", yes I do understand it's quite a peculiar word to use as a username, but it was a word that made the most impression on me during a trip to Corfu roughly a month before I found PC and joined. The people I have met here have made numerous nicknames out of this word, namely Siggy, and I seem to be most well known around here as that nickname as well as the username.

I changed my username to Shiharu two times because I wanted to try something different, but each time I always seemed to regret changing my username at all. I didn't feel as strongly about that name and it's quite obvious to me that it never caught on at all.

So overall, I feel my username holds a sense of belonging to me and I cherish it just as much as I do my real name. With it came memories, dignifying moments and even times of tension, it's a username I'll hold dearly to me for a very, very long time.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I do remember my first username :) it was KyokoButterfly15 hahaha. my favorite manga series (still is) was Fruits Basket and my favorite character in that series was Kyoko, who was known as "the red butterfly" I initially was going to use the username Kyokotheredbutterfly but it looked bad imo. so I shortened it and added my lucky number at the end and VOILA.

I would NEVER go back to it though, however, most people who knew me back when I first joined and such all called me Kyoko, and I still loved the character so I decided to just keep Kyoko. I didn't realize how attached to the name I had become until someone else took it while I was some other name. Once it was open again, I took it asap and thank goodness I did because apparently username changes stopped happening? I would be so sad if I didn't get it in time.

Years
    Do you remember your first username you may have registered years ago or maybe just a few days ago?
    Yo.

My first forum was a Smash Brothers forum. I used Jigglypuff and my favorite number was 8. One typo later and it was history. Used that name everywhere since.

Did you revert back to it when name changes had a final request period? If so, why? What significance does that username have to you? Is it because it was your first username online anywhere - so you want to hold onto it for nostalgia reasons?
    Yep. I just had this username everywhere, so it would be too confusing to have all my nicks everywhere be different. I couldn't think of anything more "creative" either.

Or maybe you just thought it sounded nice, or something along those lines.
    Nope. :<

Share how you feel about your username. :)
    Behold. The generic username. Lowercase. Misspelled name of a Pokemon. A GODDAMN NUMBER. Surely a member with this name is automatically a n00b forever. Honestly, I'd like to think of myself as at least more knowledgeable and experienced than the average run-of-the-mill forum poster. but no wai jigglyppuffz r kewl i herd u liek jigglypuffs lolololololololol

Aside from that, I do like Jigglypuff. And unlike most people who stick random numbers at the end of their usernames. I actually identify myself with my number. No, I'm not the 8th jigglyppuff or something stuPId like that, but I was born on August 8th. Many of the things I'm interested in somehow also manage to associate themselves with the number 8 as well (ex. Jigglypuff has 8 unique letters).

And that gosh darned typo. Usually, most people wouldn't mind being called the correct spelling, but I identify myself with this nick so much that when someone calls me Jigglypuff8, it ticks me off so much. To kind of alleviate it, I made an alias for myself long ago known as "jpp8". It caught on in my long past circle of acquaintances and still follows me today as I have given my alternate account that nick.

tl;dr: i herd u liek jigglyppuffz lolololololololol XDDDDDDDD

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
    My original username had to do with my love of Pokemon Special. I think I was reading the GSC arc at that time, and so I thought of going with Gold's method of nicknaming as translated (the first half of the Pokemon's name was either part of their English name or related to their personality/character/whatever while -taro was attached), and thus became Pikataro (Pikachu + -taro; Taro means "boy" or "bro" or something like that /though I am female and Gold's Sintaro is actually female too).

Then my second username, Serene, came from my love of Riviera: The Promised Land. Not to mention it's a pretty adjective, if you ask me <3

My third username, Zuzu, came from my love of PokeSupe again, only this time I was reading the Emerald arc. Zuzu is Ruby's Swampert, and I love Ruby, so yeah.

My fourth username, Yuyuko, came from my love of Touhou and the character. It also marked my becoming a supporter, as I was three months in of being Zuzu when I became one.

My fifth username, Natsu-kun, was again fandom-related, this time coming from my obsession (which is still current) with Natsu Dragneel from Fairy Tail. Since "Natsu" was taken, though, I added "-kun" so it would work.

And now my final username, Roswell, DOES NOT COME FROM THE ALIEN PLACE IN NEW MEXICO AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ALIENS AT ALL. Roswell is, again, fandom-related, as Roswell Branthèse is a sexy bishounen necromancer in Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
    My first username for PokeCommunity was in fact x_xcrissy then later changed it to Eye Of The Storm. When creating the username I didn't think too much, at the time my favourite smiley for some peculiar reason that I can't remember was x_x then I slapped on my elder sisters nickname for myself onto the end. At the time too I wanted something easier to remember than something creative like, for example sake, Rainbow Bunnies which would have been something that my memory couldn't have have taken in as quickly as x_xcrissy. Also at the time I was on the website Neopets and this happened to be my username (until I pulled myself away from that website that is) too making it much more fresh than anything else.

But when it came to that time when the name changes where going to be no longer, I was tempted to change it back to x_xcrissy, but I think that if I did change back to that username I would have disliked my username after a period of time as when I grew more attached to the website I needed a creative username that I could remember simply. Because of this Eye Of The Storm was available to change back to but I was already Cold Fusion and quite happy with my username so I just left it to Cold Fusion. There was a couple of people who wanted me to go back to x_xcrissy as that was my most recognisable phase I had been through, but shamefully for them I didn't think that x_xcrissy was to be my username for the rest of my time on PC. But I'm not all hold onto my first username, I don't mind letting x_xcrissy go, x_xcrissy was just a beginner to forums and websites username then I started to widen my horizons.

Why I didn't make another account with a different username is a simple reason. I could not work with more than one account. It's just too much work, if one had 2,000 posts I'd want the second one to have 2,000 posts aswell and that would take forever. I'm not a person who can work with multiple accounts, if I have one, I'll stay dedicated to one. Besides, you'd have to move everything across to another account, your friends, you're information and such, it's too much of a hassle.

This username I have is actually quite precious to me, yes it's just a username, but it's an unique username that nobody else has on this website. I've place my mark on it now and nobody can take that mark away. It also reminds me of my elder brother who helped me with the creation of the name, so it gives me a little reminder of my family and the background of it creation. Also, Cold Fusion just sounded quite cool, it wasn't too cute neither too obnoxious it was a balanced username. Cold Fusion somewhat describes who I am these days after growing attached to it, I'm not sure how as it is a nuclear fusion, but somehow it does. I love it. .

With x_xcrissy it was, I admit, an noobish like name, but even if I chose to go back too it I don't think I would have been treated like an noob. When I previously was x_xcrissy I wasn't really treated like a noob after the beginning struggle of learning how to navigate the website. This at the time I was grateful for. PokeCommunity being my first forum I was glad that everyone treated me quickly as a member and not this noob all the time. But I wouldn't have been embarrassed by having my first username back, in fact, I'd be proud to be x_xcrissy.

As for if I was here when the Username changes where around, yes, I was here in the PokeCommunity before the end of name changes, and it was quite a feature to lose. There was reason of course, but I was disappointed to see the name changing feature to go, it was a well used one, too.

Usernames are important part to me, they are what people first see of you, they are like how you look in real life except you're a few words instead. A username can describe a person in general, for the Rainbow Bunnies I said early, I'd interpret that person as a bright, happy, bubbly person who enjoys like while if their name was The Lone One then they would be the complete opposite. If the username was a bunch of numbers there would be a lot of unhappy people, I would be one of them. When it comes to remembering numbers I cannot remember them, I'd forget them in a few seconds, I don't think I'd even remember my own number.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    When I first joined here six years ago I used the terribly uncreative name ShadowCharizard. I didn't stick around for long, and disappeared, only to come back many months later and create a new account, DragonHeart (also rather uncreative). I can't remember if I created a new account because I forgot my info or because I wanted a fresh start. It was a long time ago. I didn't stay long on that account either.

Sometime at the end of 2007 I think, I wanted to make a new account on RuneScape (I'd had a few before). By that time I'd become picky and wanted a username that sounded like a plausible name for a character (since that's your character's name on RS), and that wasn't taken already. I concocted the name Kinarii, and ever since then all my new accounts (and first accounts) on things have been under that name. In March of 2008 I made a new dA account with it and moved all my stuff, and in May the same year I finally found PC again, and rejoined under the name, too.

Honestly I don't think I was aware of whether or not PC name changes existed through all that time, but after Kinarii I have no reason to use another name, and so never used the feature when I did in fact know about it last year. I suppose I use Kina to refer to myself more, but I always like to have the full Kinarii as the username. I like to think of it as my alias. It's definitely become my identity on all my internet hangouts. Consistency is my friend. :3

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    My frist username was Diglett 032.

But, now on most of the forums I am on it is Captain Hobo.

I like it a lot. I am keeping it.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Of course! How could I ever forget it? My original username was Poketrainer2004.

It was really thought up on the fly, to suit the site and my interest in Pokemon. It's not terribly original. The 2004 denotes the year I joined PC.

Did you revert back to it when name changes had a final request period?
    No. I've kept that name pretty much mine by starting an alternate account under that name should I ever feel the need to go to it again. I don't plan to, but it's always helpful to have that trump card.

What significance does that username have to you?
    None.

If you didn't change back to it, why not?
    Because it's stupid, unoriginal, nooby and generally those days are over. They're never gonna come back. I've moved on from my noob days, irregardless of what anyone might think, and my true friends can attest to that fact.

Were you afraid that people would remember your past and treat you differently due to that, or maybe in general the name just appeared to be "noobish" so you didn't want to embarrass yourself?
    Nope. Not afraid. Merely unwilling to bear a 'noobish' name, out of the sheer will to show that I've grown beyond that.

Why haven't you made a new account to change names?
    Don't need to. I own my original name, and my past names are irrelevant.

Or, the username you have now, that you may not have had in the past, why do you like it and does it represent you?
    I like it because it represents the 'me' of today, and my absolute favorite Pokemon all while being creative. Try as I might to leave it behind as a username, every friend constantly fell back to calling me that name despite my wishes that they call me by my current username, or a shortened version of it.

How about usernames in general, do online usernames even matter to you?
    Somewhat.

Would you be fine if vB/PC didn't allow you to have usernames and instead everyone knew each other by their userid?
    Probably. It would feel boring though.

Years
    I doo, it was terrible and involved Kingdom Hearts. And a play on my last name. XD

I... don't even know. This was in like, 02 or 03, when Kingdom Hearts first came out, lol.

Nope.

...nothing, really. I love Kingdom Hearts? :(

None of you knew me then 8D

If this is your only username you've ever had and you were around before the end of name changes?
    ...over three accounts...

JessicaH > Jesh > bit.trip void - new account > Jesh > new account bayonetta.

:D

I... have 8D

They do, they show... what the person... is into, I guess. >_>

Would you be fine if vB/PC didn't allow you to have usernames and instead everyone knew each other by their userid?
    I'd probably write certain people's userid down, so it wouldn't be that bad. XD

Years
    I think the first username I had that wasn't some nonsensical letter sequence was some variation of Tyranitar. My first username here was the same I'm still using, mondays suck.

Spoiler:

I found this while googling for Garfield comics.

I never changed it, so no.

I just think it's true. The first day after the weekend is just a terrible day most of the time.

Everyone has a silly username at some point.

If this is your only username you've ever had and you were around before the end of name changes?
    As I said, I never changed this one.

I'm ok with the name I'm using, so why should I?

I tend to use a different one every single time (and then forget most of them for that reason), so not that much.

Well, I probably wouldn't even want to bother to learn these... So PC would probably be like a more moderate form of 4chan to me then.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Oh wow, lotz of questions. Here we go...

Yes.

My name's Mike. And i'm a cooltrainer -cringe-

Nope, I was glad to get rid of it.

It doesn't have any significance because it sucks.

Is it because it was your first username online anywhere - so you want to hold onto it for nostalgia reasons?
    Nooooo

If you didn't change back to it, why not?

Because it sucks.

The latter.

Or, the username you have now, that you may not have had in the past, why do you like it and does it represent you?
    I like it because I feel it represents me perfectly what with being part-limey, part-Jackie Chan.

Yeah they do, they give people an identity.

God no, that'd be unbelievably bland.

K, done.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    Zappyspiker one and only has lasted me since I was 6 XD

SOME IDIOT TOOK THE NAME I WANTED I wanted the name Zappypsparks but someone took it, so Zappyspiker was the closest thing to it

Well I didn't have to change it

Is it because it was your first username online anywhere - so you want to hold onto it for nostalgia reasons? Or maybe you just thought it sounded nice, or something along those lines.
    My username is the reason why I am myself today

Why did you keep it in the first place and now even, for those who weren't around then?
    It's too original to give away~

I just have my alternative account Zcyler

It's who you are in life online and offline

The interwebz would not be as awesome!

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
    I've been using the whole 'femtrooper' thing for awhile now. I really like it. It says that I'm a total nerd, and I'm a female!^^ I think I was on a Star Wars kick one day and came up with it, lol.

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
    I don't know if this applies to PC only, but I once used the name "emmspokemon" around various forums... XDDD; I made that username when I was around 11 on a different forum. What made me create the name was for two reasons; I wanted people to know my real name, and I wanted Poke'mon to be beside it to display that I like it. I would most certainly not go back to that username. Not even if I was paid to. It looks extremely nooby and plain.

As for the current username I have now. Been using it since June '08. I left PC for a while, and returned just after name changes were disabled. I was sad at first, since I wanted to shorten my username to "Zebs" because it seemed simple. I like my current username now, though. The only problem I have with it is the fact people often (if not always) spell it wrong and I end up having to correct them all the time. xD;

My dad just out of the blue called me "Zebeedoo" one day those few years ago, and it stuck ever since. :3

Years
    The name I originally used over the Internet, and thus originally used on PC, was nayana_1120. It was the name of one of my main characters, and 11/20 is her birthday. I actually kind of like it as a LJ username, but on PC... it just has that air of newbness, I suppose. After eight months, I changed accounts over to this one, because I wanted a change, and I guess I didn't want to be associated with that newbiness anymore. I haven't used the account for serious posting since end of 2004 so I doubt I'd ever want that account and username ever again. I don't mind. The character got renamed ages ago and natalie_1120 does not have nearly the same ring to it. :p Not to mention that I prefer it when I have my account Sammi/sammi-san because at least because I always found it weird when people called me by username. It wasn't my name and it weirded me out.

This account started as sammi-san. Then I changed it to Sammi. Then Nayana. Then Sammi again. Then Sana. Then sammi-san when final name changes happened. I found it interesting that things went full-circle at the end there. As weird as the name can look (I was a bit too obsessed with Japan when I made the account, as was my sister when she gave me the nickname), Sammi was taken. My fault for not making an alt. And it fits my Twitter, at least?

Also, to answer this:

No. How would I remember people that way?? >:(

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    My very very first online name with any real significance was Samurai 6.0 (AOL 6.0 had just come out. lol) I still play the account on runescape, but soon after moved on to Lemony Lime, which is my official name for EVERYTHING that isn't pokemon related. Here, and on youtube, I use Quilavaking, simply because it sounds cool, and those accounts are based around pokemon. I have no desire to ever change either of those names.

Back