• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you make your Pokemon team?

WasSollDas

Fighting / Psychic ROOLZ!
Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    When you first start your Pokemon game, do you plan your Pokemon team beforehand (ex: "hmm......I'll have Charmander as my starter then get a Pikachu....."), or do you just start the game and start catching them? (ex: Oh, that Doduo looks good! I'll add it to my team!)

I usually plan beforehand (which gives me a big headache before I even start the game), but I heard that many people just catch their Pokemon and abandon them when they find sth better (for example, you might add a Snorlax to your team and abandon a Raticate).
    How do you make your team?

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2012
    Well i plan a little ahead since i always know which starter im gonna choose and i know 1 or 2 pokemon im gonna catch the others i choose while playing

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I plan my teams ahead of time. Usually, I follow this format: the starter, 4 favorites (including a pseudo-legendary, a flier and a fossil, if possible) and the box legendary/mascot.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I plan my team ahead of time. It usually consists of one grass-type. one fire-type, one water-type (one of which is the starter), on electric-type, one flying-type, and one ground-type. XD

Years
  • I never plan them. I just grab what appeals to me as they appear and change things around when I get bored. If I tried to plan too much it'd be a little like I already had used those pokemon I was planning to use before I even use them and they would become boring much sooner.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I plan them, unless it's my first playthrough. Like when I got White, I was interested in some stuff, but I didn't plan. For Black I did, since I had already used a boatload of Unova Pokemon in White, and wanted to use Black exclusives or trade-evolution Pokemon only. But yeah, every playthrough afterwards, I write down my plans for movesets and such. lol :(

Years
  • I plan my team looking at appearance and movesets.

I usually include a Grass-type, Fire-type and Water-type (one of which is the starter). I also always include a Flying-type to Fly me around and the last two spots go to random types. I always include a Pokemon that can learn an Electric-type attack (like Thunderbolt) which is why I had an Ambipom knowing Shock Wave in Platinum and Gothitelle knowing Thunderbolt in Black. Last slot usually goes to a Ground-type, but sometimes may be a Fighting-type or Psychic-type.

My Black team gave me a few firsts, it was my first playthrough using a Rock-type, Dragon-type and Ghost-type on my team (Archeops, Hydreigon and Chandelure) while it was my first playthrough using a pure Psychic-type (Gothitelle) and a Pokemon that changes appearance (Sawsbuck).

Last edited:
    Years
  • I Always have an idea of what I'll get on my game, I mean like more types or pokemon that "got away" before :P
    I don't like changing team members before finishing the game, so when I choose 6 that's it, if I find something I like catch and leave it for latter(most times I forget them -.- )
    Except ofc my first playthrough in a game which i have no plan at all just going here and there and trying enjoy the game(graphics, new pokemon(if are),towns etc)

~V~

"Winds of a New Beginning"
    Years
  • I know my starter and what Dragon I'm going to pick.

That's about all the planning I do before I start on my next adventure.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    Because of my whole "have each member of the team have a unique type" thing and the fact that I like using a new set of Pokemon every time pretty much means I plan my team before each playthrough.

There have been times where I come across a Pokemon while playing which I forgot could be caught in the game, then I make modifications to my original plan, but that's not very common.

Rather Zakki

Artist and Creator
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2012
    I usually plan out my team before, usually based on what Starter I start with. But I usually plan not to overlap types.

Years
  • I don't really plan aead. For my in-game team, I don't crunch numbers, EV train, or breed for perfection. I just catch what I like and use it. I usually go for the starter I like best, then catch a type opposite to my starter, I try to catch a good pokemon at start. Like lillipup. And use whatever I find on the way. The only time I ever try to put together a perfect team if for online battlinng.

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
    Years
  • No planing my exact team unless I know the game well (Oh yeah there's a skarmory on that route, I should get one, but I'll use this Pidgey until then), but I always do have the following:

Water, Grass, Fire, Flying, Tough (Steel or Rock type), "Special Agent".

The special agent, as I like to call it, is just a pokemon with a dangerous move(set) that can be used against nearly any pokemon to turn things around.
    Of course, this changs from game to game, there may not be pokemon I deem suitable, or I'm forced to change the team types around because I can't cover enough ground offensively.

EDIT: For starter, I follow a pattern, I pick depending on generation, gen 1 is grass, 2 is fire, 3 water, and so on....

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • If I'm replaying a game I usually plan out a team and write it down generally a team of six and more times than not I use half of them then change my mind but I always train a team of six nonetheless. If it's a new game I pick up ones I like the look of and I sometimes plan what types I wish to have.

FlipelyFlip

Arr teh Pirate
    Years
  • I don't plan my team.
    When I start a new game and play it first, I often know which starter I want. It's diferent, depends on how their final evolution looks like.
    and then I catch every pokémon on my way to the Champ and meanwhile I switch the pokémon out.

when I replay a game I'm allways sayin: "I will only catch 6 Pokémon and look if I can beat the Champ". Most of the time I forgett this and after the second badge I start to switch out ._.

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
    Years
  • Not really planning for me. I'm huge fire type fan so for my first go around on any of the games I always pick the starter Fire Type. But after the game goes along for a bit I get out my two paperback pokedexs I have and use those to plan around my fire type pokemon.

Comerion

DGXZ
    Years
  • Yeah I usually think up a decent team beforehand, It usually has a water/grass/fire combo and then 2 others which I like and then one more to patch up any team weaknesses. I sometimes even use the marriland team builder.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I usually get a general idea of what I want to put on my team. It's based on looks but also stats and strength. I normally have a Flying ,Water type and a Grass type and the rest is based on what I think will be the best.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Plan beforehand, however in the beginning I obviously can't get them yet because usually they are later in game so I just start off with a faux team lol.

Back