• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"How does ___ not have this move?"

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
  • Skuntank and Gunk Shot.

No, not even by Move Tutor can it learn that. If Liepard of all things can fling gunk at its opponent, why shouldn't the skunk that is known for spraying vile things from its tail and that is actually a Poison-type be able to? I'm over here scratching my head.

An even weirder Pokemon that can learn Gunk Shot is Pachirisu. It's just like....what.

Another Pokemon I've found lacking moves is Talonflame. It doesn't have Air Slash and Air Cutter. I just want to know why? A lot of the starter birds except Staraptor have it, but Staraptor doesn't seem like the type to get the two. Talonflame has Overheat and a variety of special Fire moves, why not special Flying? I'm sure its speed is enough to be able to cut and slash air.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    How come Venomoth can't learn fly? It's a GIANT. MOTH.

I would definitely ride on a giant moth.

For some strange reason Volcarona can learn Fly. It's also a moth, so I'm slightly puzzled as to why Venomoth can't learn Fly.

Years
  • For some strange reason Volcarona can learn Fly. It's also a moth, so I'm slightly puzzled as to why Venomoth can't learn Fly.

I guess the reason behind the dual Bug/Flying-types not learning Fly might be due to the fact that in real life a flying insect would not be able to lift a person at all (even though Bug-types in Pokemon are depicted way larger compared to insects in real life).

One I should mention... Togekiss not learning Moonblast. Its design looked like it would have been a great move for it. Dazzling Gleam is okay, but it's got no special effect to it aside from hitting multiple opponents in doubles/triples/hordes.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2015
    Ledian never learns any flying moves by leveling up. Even the ones it learns through TMs are the kind of generic ones that most things can know. You would have thought being a bug and flying pokemon that it would have at least learnt gust as ledyba.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • Why Can't Druddigon or Scyther Learn Fly When They Obviously Have Large Visible Wings?
    Yet You See Golurk (The 700 Pound Chunk of Metal and Rock) Flying With Ease Throughout the Skies.

Dodrio Can Learn Fly As Well (Despite the Fact That Its Based on a Flightless Bird and Has No Wings) Maybe It's Heads Function Like Propellers On a Helicopter and It Spins Them Around to Fly?

What About Mew? The Floating Pink Cat? How Does That Manage to Fly?
    Or Perhaps You Were Wondering How Genesect Learned Fly? Perhaps It Reverses Its Blaster and Launches Itself Using It Like a Jetpack.

Well With This Logic You Would Think Girafarig Could Learn Fly, or Maybe Dugtrio?

Lol XD

It Is Clearly Shown That Druddigon and Scyther Have Wings, So Why Can't They Fly?
    It was stated that Druddigon's "wings were some sort of solar panel:

"It warms its body by absorbing sunlight with its wings. When its body temperature falls, it can no longer move." - Pokedex Black, X

Though no mention in the Pokedex did it say they weren't real wings that could fly, but judging the shape and purpose, they might not be actual wings. Scyther is a bit different though. It could clearly be seen in its XY animation to be flying, but then again, would even let him cary you with those deadly scythes :\

Anyway, I wonder why an Aurorus can't learn surf. It looked like it judging by the sails (lol,Im assuming a pokemon can surf by their sails XD) and it's origins.

Years
  • Anyway, I wonder why an Aurorus can't learn surf. It looked like it judging by the sails (lol,Im assuming a pokemon can surf by their sails XD) and it's origins.

It doesn't look like something that can learn it, but then again we have things like Rhyperior learning it.

I think the most baffling thing about Aurorus is that it doesn't even get Power Gem. Its crystals would make you think it learns it but nope it has to settle for the inferior Ancient Power as its best special Rock STAB move.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    I remember being somewhat surprised to discover that Zweilous didn't have access to Dual Chop. I would've thought that a two-hit Dragon attack would be a natural for a two-headed Dragon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    Another one that I just remembered, because I just evolved one in B2 - Shiftry really should be able to learn Leaf Blade, what with its hands being blade-shaped leaves and all.

Years
  • Another one that I just remembered, because I just evolved one in B2 - Shiftry really should be able to learn Leaf Blade, what with its hands being blade-shaped leaves and all.

Yeah I believe the distribution with certain moves can really get out of hand or even leave some scratching heads. If other Pokemon who have a body part with leaves on it (i.e. Serperior, Leafeon and Sceptile) could learn Leaf Blade then why couldn't Shiftry? It would have really benefitted from a usable physical Grass move like that.

Trainer 781

Tyrantrum not getting outrage. Aerodactyl not getting Brave Bird (would really rock with rock head) while crobat does despite not being a bird.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I remember being somewhat surprised to discover that Zweilous didn't have access to Dual Chop. I would've thought that a two-hit Dragon attack would be a natural for a two-headed Dragon.

Maybe they wanted to make Deino and Zweilous a challenge to train so you can finally get the sense of achievement once it becomes a Hydreigon. I guess that's why they have Hustle and higher Attack compared to Special Attack.

Speaking of Hydreigon, I was quite baffled when I heard it didn't get any good boosting moves other than Work Up (which even then, is only learned as a TM in 5th Gen). It really should have gotten Nasty Plot to make use out of its good Sp. Attack.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2022
    Drain Punch on Infernape. Why does this not exist? Infernape has a FIST. Even an Iron Fist! But do you know which Pokemon does get Drain Punch? That's right... Bellossom.
    Troll Freak at its finest.

Back