• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How does one become an Elite Four?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • So, I've been wondering, I feel its understandable on how people become regular pokemon trainers to gym leaders, but, how would trainers become the elite four? In the games, trainers would challenge the pokemon leauge, and, if they beat the elite four, and the champion, then they themselves are the new pokemon champion. But, how are the Elite Four chosen? Who are they chosen by? Any thoughts?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I assume gym leaders (or other successful trainers?) get promoted to Elite 4 if they prove themselves worthy of it and another E4 steps down or something. I say this since Koga was a Gym Leader in RBY and in GSC, he's an Elite 4. Caitlin was part of the Battle Tower (or something) in DPPt and in Black/White, she's an Elite 4.

So I think there's probably sort of a circle of trainers who are generally regarded as strong and very successful and whenever new high ranking members of the Pokémon League (which includes gyms and tournaments) are needed, they're pulled from that pool. Though I also think Gym Leaders are also mostly chosen because they already live in the city they're in. :B So climbing the ranks is probably a combination of right place/right time and skill.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I assume that people become an Elite 4 if their skills in battle are exceptionally superb. They may be asked to have a special battle with the champion. Regardless if they win or lose, they may be accepted into the E4 if they did well in the battle.

ATM the Mudkip

A Mudkip
    Years
  • I always though that once you were defeated as the champion, you became the Elite 4th, and the previous Elite 4th became the Elite 3rd, ect. Of course, now that I think about it, it really doesnt make any sense, because the super strong Elite 1st would then just get kicked off. Not really fair, plus hes way stronger then all of the gym leaders.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I think the regional league has a selection comity that judges trainers on their performance through out that region and other regions. Like maybe they have official pokemon statistics in battles and go with the highest ranking battlers and ask them too be part of their Elite 4. Or they go too a town they wish to establish a gym in and have people do a tournament, hear by word of mouth, or judge for themselves who the best trainer in that town is then add them to part of their league. I assume in Wallace case he defeated the Elite 4 and they promoted him to Champ after Steven decided to leave. I would think they would have promoted Drake and let Wallace be slotted in like with Koga one of the former Indigo leaders. Then they picked between Lance and Bruno, after I assume their would be Champ Red left, and Blue was defeated so took Giovanni vacant gym at Viridian. Then there is Alder case where they just appointed him which I don't think they would have done if he wasn't exceptionally skilled, I mean they did make Marshal his apprentice one as well.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I would assume it was some sort of selection pool that gets evaluated by a specialized board. Maybe the Champion has a say, maybe not.

Not really sure how to the pool would get there though, as it would be illogical to simple audition for it, as there would be a metric ton of people, some of the probably horrible. So I think it might have to do with who is reported to be the best gym leaders or trainers in the local area, then they may be asked to audition privately.

All in all, I believe it would be a very selective process where most people don't even get the chance to audition, and even fewer make the cut.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • All the Gym Leaders, current Elite Four members, the champion and perhaps some other prominent figures in the Pokemon training world get together after one of the Elite Four vacate their post. There's a committee to discuss candidates for the open position. Names are thrown around, some of them of committee members themselves, others are tough trainers currently in the region. The committee decides who among those named get a chance to apply for the position.

There would be some sort of aptitude test (most likely a battle) that the candidates participate in and all committee members who aren't applying judge. The person with the best battling skills based on this test gets the position.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
  • I believe they are "voted" in by trainers, based on by kindness, strength, and skill, given that the Elite Four appears to be the "government" of the Pokemon world.

You have to be like 20 to be in the Elite Four, so until you (the player character) is 20 years old or so, the old Champion retains his position.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • My opinion: they become an elite four from many years of training--or they are selected by the champion to become the elite four.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I think any recognizable trainer who is talented enough to defeat the E4 would be considered. If someone is a better/stronger trainer than one of the E4 I think he/she would have the option to success that E4 member. But being an E4 member would be a full time job until you are beaten so it is understandable why they are not replaced very often. It would mean you have to stop your travels, which wouldn't be popular with young trainers I would assume.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • Based on what happened to Koga, I'd say Gym leaders are [promoted. I would imagine the champion chooses.

Years
  • Like others have guessed, I'd say that Gym Leaders are promoted to the position of an Elite 4 member. Only if they are strong enough.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • Well, I came up with a couple theories..Most likely it seems to me is that if they were a champion, and then got beaten by a trainer..Then they would become part of the "Elite" four, which would make the most sense to me besides being hand picked by the Champion him/herself. Or perhaps they get "promoted" from gym leaders, say a gym leader could quite possibly "challenge" an E4 and if they win take their spot? There are numerous possibilities though, but I do believe we shall find out soon...Maybe?o.o

NamelessGuy

<Insert Witty Title Here>
    Years
  • I personally believe that the members of the Elite Four are hand-picked by the Champion. The candidates' battling abiilities are probably tested thoroughly before the Champion narrows it down to the top four.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    More than anything I think that the Elite Four are people selected by the Champion who are willing to basically stay there for a long period of time, awaiting the uncommon challenger. Like King Gumball said, though, it's unlikely that a young trainer would want to be e4 because it would require them to settle down and stuff. That makes sense to me, anyway. :3

Back