• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How long have you liked Pokémon for?

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
    Years
    Just as the title says:
    When did you find out about Pokémon?
    Why did you initially like Pokémon, and why do you like it now?

EDIT: Regarding the second question, let's say that "How" and "When" are interchangeable.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    About 11 years I've been a fan of Pokemon :x
    I found out about it from my older cousin, he was into it back then and he introduced me to it when I was around 5.
    I liked it because....I don't really remember why I liked it, but I'm thankful I did! I like it now because it brings back good memories :D

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    How long have you liked Pokémon for? Lets see.. Add the one, carry the two...Divide by 7 squared...Since it began XD.
    When did you find out about Pokémon? About the time of Yellow
    Why did you initially like Pokémon, and why do you like it now? Because, it was my first video game..Ever. I still play it because I just love the feel of it, its so unique~

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
    How long have you liked Pokémon for? I think I've been liking it for 12 years now.

When did you find out about Pokémon? When I received Pokemon Blue for Christmas, but also when the anime started the next Spring I believe.

Why did you initially like Pokémon, and why do you like it now? I liked it because it was so magical, interesting and fun for the kid I was. Now I watch the anime mostly for Team Rocket, but also because it's cute, and I play the games because they're fun.

Nelauk

shmowzow
    Years
    i believe i've liked pokemon since...2007, i think? which makes it...four years, i think. i've liked it since the fourth gen came out.
    i knew what pokemon was before i even got into it. but i soon started liking it when we got these bookmarks in the school library.
    initially i liked it because i thought it was cool. i still like it because of that.

god i feel so young among you people

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Wow... let's see... I've been a fan of it since I was 8 or 9 years old. I'm 20, so I've been a fan of it for 12 years.

I guess the better question to ask is "how did I find out", because I don't really know the exact date of when I found out. xD Anyways, I found out about Pokemon by watching the first episode when it first debuted.
    ]
    I initially liked Pokemon mainly because of Misty. It shows that even girls can get into Pokemon as much as guys can. Plus, I was a huge fan of Pikachu back then.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I experienced Pokemon for about 12 years now, but I only liked it when Gen III came out. So I've been liking Pokemon for 8 years now. :)

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
    Hmm, I watched the first episode aired in the US, so you can say from the start :)

I saw the episode, collected cards, played the games. I was addicted

I liked them, because everyone was playing, and I still like the show, and mainly the games. I dropped from the TCG a long time ago. I still like it because I shiny hunt and play competitively which is fun to me.

Years
    I dunno, like 12 or 13 years?

I remember sitting on my parent's bed doing something when suddenly a commercial advertising the upcoming phenomenon came on. I thought it looked pretty weird at first, but once I saw one of my older sisters watching the episodes I was hooked.

Isn't it obvious?Who doesn't love mutant animals running around blowing stuff up with lasers? I've always loved animals and adventure and luckily for me, Pokemon has just that.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    How long have you liked Pokémon for? 13 years. :D

When did you find out about Pokémon? It was shortly before the anime released in the USA. My best friend back then was Japanese, and her family has some imported Pokemon VHS tapes. I enjoyed the idea of them, even if I didn't know what was happening. xD;

Why did you initially like Pokémon, and why do you like it now? Yulie and her sisters had a Pokemon coloring book with the original 150 in it, and I saw the page with Ninetales. I loved the design of that Pokemon, and it's kinda what made me interested in all the rest of them. Initially, I just liked some of the Pokemon, and found the game / anime story interesting. Back then, I didn't care much for the human characters.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years

How long have you liked Pokémon for?:
    Around 10+ years
    When did you find out about Pokémon?: I found out the games came before the anime and TCG.
    Why did you initially like Pokémon, and why do you like it now?: I liked it for the TCG and anime at first, but now I like it because of the games. I still watch the show, though

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I've been a fan for 12 or 13 years now. I first discovered in via Nintendo Power magazine and their big promotion of Red and Blue leading up to the games' release. I was intrigued by the gameplay style, as it was the first RPG game I had really seen, and the concept of controlling my own creatures to gain the fear and respect of the masses really interested me.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    - Since shortly after Red/Blue's release in 1998, so twelve years now? XD
    - I saw an ad for Red/Blue's release in a magazine when I was 11 and I pestered my dad into buying it. He bought Red for my brother's birthday that October and I got Blue that Christmas.
    - Even though I expected it to be a platformer like every video game I had played up until that point, I was drawn into it because of the adventure aspects of it. I'm still in the fandom because it's an adventure RPG and I like adventure RPGs, and I'm also in it because of the battle system. XD

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    Late summer of 1999. So it's been almost 12 years.

I found out about it around that same time. Funny thing was it was on a camping trip that my parents dragged me out to. There was a kid there that had already gotten into the Pokemon craze, and I decided that I should give the games a try as well. (Even though I had no idea what they were. I thought they were side-scrolling platformers and was shocked when I got Red and it wasn't like that, but it was way more fun than the platformers I had on the GB, so it didn't matter. lol)

However, seeing how long ago that was I don't really remember whether I experienced the anime or the games first.

...I can't believe how long ago that was. 12 years... My gosh... I feel old. It's more of a vague memory in my head now...

Why? Good question. I believe what really got me into it was the game, Pokemon Red. It was the first time I really got addicted to an Gameboy game. I liked and watched the anime as well, but I remember it really being the game.

I like it now due to the games still being good.

Osha_say_wott?!

osha osha
    Years
    I've liked Pokémon since Red and Blue debuted. So.. nearly 13 years. I found out about it right before the games came out in September 1998. I saw the commercials for them and for some reason was drawn to the game. I didn't even know what kinda a game it was. xD Whether it was a fighting fame, a platform, action, racing, etc. All I knew there were a lot of these little monsters in the game with the slogan; Gotta Catch 'Em All. I guess I initially liked Pokémon because I was so intrigued with all the different and colorful Pokémons. I still like it now because of how fun it is to play. How fun it is capturing these monsters and leveling them up so you can battle with other Pokémons.^^

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    2 years D:
    Actually, I watched Pokémon somewhere around 2005 or something but I didn't become a fan until 2 years ago. Shame xDDD
    It's awesome. xDDD

daf

Years
    On and off for 12, going on 13 years. I was 8 at the time, and my favorite show was 101 Dalmatians...which 4Kids replaced with Pokemon (jerks). I hated it on principle alone for about 3 months and refused to watch it because it looked dumb. Then I got sick for a few days and had nothing better to do, so I watched several episodes and became hooked.

The cards and related merchandise were banned in my school district, so I didn't get into it obsessively until the following Christmas when my parents bought me the super-special Pokemon Yellow GameBoy and game. Shortly after RES came out, I stopped playing, and didn't really pick it up again until SS, despite having owned Ruby, Diamond, and Platinum.

Darkrai::.

Darkrai Rulez
    Years
    5 years, 35% of my life lol

I found out 5 years ago when my elder cousins began playing it, i started off with yellow, and then without playing much, bought Gold. and again, without spending another 3 months, bought Emerald. 3 years later, bought platinum. spent another 2 years playing that, and tomorrow im getting pokemon black ^.^

I dunno, i just like it lol

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    10 coming on 11 years I think. Long time now I think about it lol. I can't remember exactly how I got into it, I think I got a poster with all 151 pokemon on it and it just. Grew on me. 0_0 I also can't remember what made me love it so much, maybe the fact that I had all these awesome new creatures to look up which made real life animals look boring haha.

Ferny

The Shiny Ninetales
    Years
    I've liked it as long as I can remember... I'm thinking since I was about 4, which would make me a fan for twelve years. c:
    I think I found it by just randomly finding the anime on TV one day.
    I remember initially liking it because I thought Charmander was adorable. xD I still like it because of the Pokémon themselves, and just... well, everything! The plot, the concept, everything.

Last edited:
    Back