• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How long will the franchise last?

seishiro-san

Inspirational
Years
  • In my opinion, I think Pok'emon is growing, with the introduction and release of the X & Y versions it has opened the door and has laid out the path for alot of newer mechanics and ideas for the future Pok'emon games! I am certain Game Freak will remain amusing the older generation and newer generation of Pok'emon fans in the coming years :D

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    True, with all this great hype around X & Y, I hardly believe this is the last generation they will release. At least not the last pokémon games. Tbh, the franchise seems bigger than ever.

Years
  • As long as there are people like us, pokemon lives on. They just can't shut down something that is so loved by us, and that draws more and more kids every season.

Hopefully, ill be sitting there at age 90, watching the new season with my great grandchildren

Years
  • it wont die. gen 5 may have killed off some of the gen 6 audience, which is bad because gen 4 revived it, but iths will always be big with kids unless skylanders completely takes over, which most likely wont happen.

Years
  • Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Game Freak released only 69 Pokemon this generation. They've realized that it's becoming increasingly costly to create 100+ Pokemon every generation. The ideas are starting to run out, you can do a early rodent/bug/bird Pokemon only so many times before they start to grow old. I'm curious to see how they innovate, because coming up with new Pokemon is a dead end.

Years
  • Sorry if this is a huge post as for I have a lot to say about this thread...

Like all things Pokémon has to die eventually. Pokémon has grown like a tree over the course of its life span. It starts of as a sapling and you have to wait to see its potential (Red and Blue) It begins growing and people think its beautiful (Gold and Silver) but there comes a time when the tree might need to be chopped down (Gen 3-5) but if they find a way to fit the tree in it stays (X and Y)

What I'm getting at is that its here but it might not be here for a long time. The random number generator that a guy posted way above of me is a weird example. If the fan base is truly loyal and stays with the games the entire way, it grows. Who knows it might be here that long.

However, if you have beaten X and Y like I did you might have realized something... The game was a bit to easy. Even the post game is simple. I'm not going to spoil to much but you have 5 battles in a row with level 50-65's and I was mid 70's-80's. Its either, this game was for new fans, or it was to get older fans into it.

I kind of lost interest after Black and White 2 but I saw X and Y during the January Pokémon Direct and it looked like a clean slate for the series. But, like a clean state, you have to experiment and try samples. I think the developers were doing that exactly which usually ends up in an unfinished product.

While playing X and Y I thought it was a parody of the series. With an over 9000 joke literally put in there. I laughed but I also thought, were they mocking me? Or even worse were they mocking the series?

Many may disagree with me but I think X and Y might have been the downfall for the series. I enjoyed the graphics and the story was alright, but since they were experimenting with the 3DS's Graphical, Sound, and just about everything's limit, it turned out as an unfinished product. There's a couple things you can do in the post game. Which aren't that fun because I was so over leveled.

If you don't agree or want to add on just leave a reply on how you think X and Y may have saved or ruined the series for you!

Years
    • Age 40
    • Seen Jun 4, 2014
    I think with as much mythos & cultural legends as there out there, Pokemon has almost an endless potential to draw upon with its original concept. However, unless Nintendo & Gamefreak changes things up significantly enough both through the games & even the art design philosophy itself I don't see them fully tapping into that potential.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
    Years
  • There's only 1 video game franchise that's more profitable than Pokemon, that's Mario.

Mario Franchise - 446.53 million sales (July 9, 1981, Donkey Kong)
    Pokemon Franchise - 245 million sales (Feb. 27, 1996, Red and Green)

In 15 less years, Pokemon has had 55% of the sales Mario has had. There's no way Game Freak and Nintendo let this die any time soon.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I don't think pokemon will be ending any time soon.

They mention for Pokemon Bank that you would be able to pass your pokemon down to your grandchildren. So I believe they plan to keep Pokemon running for a while.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • Mario, Street Fighter, Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, Mega Man, and Tetris are all older series and are still going. Many not changing their formula any more significantly than Pokémon has.

As for the issue of introducing less new Pokémon- the motto "Gotta catch'em all!" hasn't been used since gen 2 or 3.

With over 600 'mons, I don't really think that's the main focus of the series anymore.

And therein lies my biggest worry- where exactly is the focus?

Multiplayer.

And if they want to keep the series going strong, they desperately need to expand upon that aspect. They've been taking some steps with the singleplayer by reinvigorating story elements (step in the right direction, but it still needs more), but I don't see much going on in multiplayer besides trading and battling.

It's been said before- but something akin to an MMO- with a big, open, dynamic and happening world where all the players can roam around and do ****- that'd be pretty cool.

In such a game, the Gym Leaders and Elite Four and Champion of different regions could be actual players who fought for it. Or they could be their own mini-guilds. Groups of people who share a favourite type, and new players can go 'round, challenge them- the usual- but with actual people rather than a one-shot A.I.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    The franchise is getting more popular with the release of each game. A new detective game with pikachu has been in the works and that will last for at least another two years. I believe that the franchise will last for another 10+ years, probably a lot longer than 10 years. The franchise is such a money maker and one of the most renowned franchises throughout the world to all audiences.

Back