• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How many of you..

Have you used third party programs?

• Yes, and it enhanced my gaming experience

Votes: 31 27.7%
  • Yes, and I regret it

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • No, I have no interest in doing so / it's unfair and I would never

Votes: 45 40.2%
  • No, but i would try it

Votes: 20 17.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
    Years
    I have ordered one, just for the ability to clone when I want to (for some reason, I couldn't use the GTS Cloning Glitch, which was kinda annoying). Other than that, it will sit in it's box doing nothing. I don't believe in hacking for perfect pokémon, when you could have more fun trading, training and breeding for them yourself.

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    well it is a 4th gen forum but i didn't cheat on the 4th gen, niether the first or secend gen as well.. at that times i wasn't aware of cheats but blah whatever.. i cheated after i completed the game (exept for emerald, i completed sapphire first so basicly i was ready for most of the thing exept that fat goon looking for 'pro' trainers with a lvl 4 zigzagoon)

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    NEVER HAVE...NEVER WILL...it's cheating...and I hate cheaters...

Fed

Battling on Wi-Fi.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    I've used an AR in the past, but am not using one currently... I think that using one for things that don't ruin the game is perfectly fine though (for TMs, rare candies(for EV training), and cloning). I would use it, if I had one...

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    If you mean Action Replay, no I havent, i never will. Im working on beating the whole game legitly. I already got Darkrai and Shaymin from Event, and Arceus is soon to come.

I wont recommend it cause it seems to me as the quick way out, and it ruins the fun and challenge of the whole game, not just D/P, but as well as any other game.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I personally only use my Action Replay for the walk through walls code. :3 So, I suppose I have.

Designation_Leader

I iz ubsessed wit teh kittehz!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2010
    I only use my AR for these reasons:

1. Complete Pokedex: This is so I don't need to keep trading things over and over again in order to complete it. Simple button presses and I can find anything. Mainly for use so that I can look up Pokemon in the Dex, then go to the location and actually catch it. I have all the info, but not all the Pokemon, so its okay.
    2. Max Cash: It sucks when I don't have the money to buy something.
    3. Ultimate Exp. Gain: 93K Exp. per battle is nice when I'm done EV training. That way, I don't need to waste my time training in the E4 when I can train a Level 1 Pokemon to Level 40 in one battle. After level 40, it jumps to level 70, then to level 90, then to level 100. Three Pokemon down and I'm at Level 100.
    4. Cloning: My friends ask me for Pokemon, but sometimes I only have one. I clone a Pokemon then give them the copy, then everyone's happy.

I use Pokesav for these reasons:

1. Creating Contest Pokemon: I use these contest Pokemon for local only: no WiFi.
    2. Creating PBR Pokemon: Again, only for local use.
    3. Creating Breeding Pokemon: If I make a Pokemon that has the moves I want, then I don't need to waste my time searching. Also, I create them for natures and IVs.

I use Pokesav and AR for my convenience. I don't hand out hacked Pokemon and I create them for me and me alone (unless you want one, then you can have my hacked PBR Weavile...^_^)

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2009
    I don't use AR..yet.. but one of my friends has one but refuses to trade me any hacked pokes...

If I do ever get a AR, I'll probably save up for Pearl so I can hack on that and still have my normal game on Diamond.

Years
    I don't use it, but I don't really care if people use it fairly.
    Seeing as I used to play on Wi-Fi competitively(I just use shoddy now) I can understand the urge to use a cheating device to gain certain pokemon/moves/etc. Sure, you get the satisfaction of working hard for it if you don't cheat- and that's great for some people. Others don't care- and I don't think the ones who do care should be self-rightous prats about it.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't care if people do it to train the Pokemon and get it by AR. But, having 999 stats, and stuff like that is where I have my limits. I ditched my AR since it deleted my game file. I just trade from people if I want events. I get my TMs by never using them throughout the game until the end where I can clone then. I actually don't mind people using AR in Pokemon, but in something like Mario Kart where people could teleport to first place, then that would be going over board. Why cheat during battles or races just to win? Games are about fun, not winning.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    I ditched my AR since it deleted my game file.

Hmmm, that code isn't in my AR's list.

I'm guessing your game file was corrupted either through damage to the cartridge, or you abused the AR, such as attempting to use too many codes at once.

Just to let everyone know, AR does not pose a threat to your save. Only if you mishandle it, but the same can be said about any device, including the DS and a DS game cartridge.

Mezase Master

I wish I had pants.
    Years
    I did it for Red and Blue just to mess around with stuff as a kid, and Crystal to get Celebi (as in access the event). Otherwise, no, never.

Years
    I never have used third party devices, really. Although occasionally I did want one, ever since I stopped really playing stuff outside of Shoddy, it would've probably been rotting by now. =/

Years
    I have just bought one, and also an extra copy of pearl and platinum with which to use it with.

Yes I do consider it cheating, but I already have a job, and a 18 week old son, I play pokemon for FUN, not for it to turn into a job.
    I want to breed all the little pocket monsters, I'd like all the event ones too as I have come to the game late I have no chance of getting them without a device.

I'd like some shinies, and I'd like more than one of some item, recently restarted my game as I accidentally used my MasterBall not realising you only got one. That said I'm not interested in over stated pokes, or cheating at battles and so on.
    Thats why I bought two extra games to use as breeding, training, and evolution hives.

My origional game will be used to play with and I'll import the pokemon that I need, I understand that with pokesav there is no way to tell if my pokemon are legit or not if I go through GTS trades, so why be high and mighty about it.
    I may as well just obtain them myself.

Plus it means that I have bought Emerald, Fire Red and Sapphire for a reason too, so I can add pokes I can without a cheat device.

I don't see the problem, if you have the time to play without the device, well good luck to you, I hardly have time to sleep at present so if a device saves me precious free time, then so be it!! <wink>

Sin

Years
    iirc i've never done any cheating in pokemon except for using missingno in r/b and cloning in g/s/c

maybe i would use these cheat things if i had some to try how they work, or do some funny stuff

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
    Years
    On my DS and such games, I never use any cheats. I feel proud when I have things like shinies and EV-trained Pokemon without using any cheats. Many of these things take time, but it's worth it. In Diamond I have three shinies, Pokerus, max money, 100+ Ultra Balls, and a couple of Pokemon whose EV's are nearly maxed out, all without cheating. So I'm happy. Besides, with no cheating, I'm pretty much guaranteed safety and credibility in things like tournaments and even GTS trades.

However, I do like to use cheats in my "experimental" games, games I want to either play just for fun or use for the purpose of making videos and such. My perfect example of this is my Platinum. Because it's a rom, I can't trade or battle over wi-fi with it, nor can I use mystery gift. And my access to the Underground is very limited. So to make up for this, I use Pokesav to get some of these things. Besides, I can do crazy things like hatching Alakazams from eggs with it (that's the only way to add a hacked Pokemon to the Pokedex anyway). In this game, I also used Pokesav to obtain Shaymin and Arceus, simply because I wanted to experiment with using them. For extra fun, I gave Arceus Judgment (normally it can't learn it until level 100), obtained all the plates, and put the Arceus on my team for a short while. I also used Pokesav to create high-level "Pickup slaves", one of which was a shiny Pachirisu just for the heck of it. I might also use it to obtain HM-slave Smeargles or Mews in the future...

The other thing I use Pokesav for is convenience, so beating the game is a little quicker. I have used it to obtain a few TM's to teach to my team, to max out my team's EV's and modify their natures, and to obtain things like Berries and Master Balls. All this doesn't deter from my experience in the game; I still love the team I have there (even though Arceus is no longer on it).

One thing I never use is a Game Shark. I will never touch one again. The first Pokemon game I ever had was Yellow, and I eventually beat the game and really liked my team, which contained the highest-level legit Pokemon I have ever owned (a level 75 Hypno). Then one day my cousin told me about Game Shark. I was curious about it, so decided to try out a cheat on it. I forgot which cheat it was, but whatever it was, it deleted my whole game. I was devastated. All my experiences and memories of that game were gone forever.

However, I heard Action Replay was a bit safer than Game Shark, so I might try that on my other roms, which are non-Pokesavable... (I really wish Pokesav would work with generation 1-3 games... currently it only works with DPPt.)

Last edited:
    Years
    Only once, on Platinum, for the Secret Key. It.. Didn't affect my gaming experience really, coz all the Rotom forms just sat in my box, lol. I haven't AR'd anything else- though i wanted a Skymin, it just feels.. Strange. I hacked all the event-mon in my Pearl, but that's definately a spoiled game- i went crazy with cloning cheats, shiny cheats, item cheats, you name it. It just doesn't feel like a game anymore, just.. Boring. So cheating too much can ruin the experience, yes, but if it's only for something that you absolutely can't possibly get (eg. I haven't wifi and i live in the countryside, so events are a no go for me), then i thinks to a certain extent it's ok.

Snoveria

Consoler of the Lonely
    Years
    i believe in "Third Party Programs" as you would call them......i think they help the game....not to beat it....just to have fun doing anything w/ them.....although i still raise my pkm normally i just use them to save time getting items and hard to find pkm. although i haven't been able to use them...mine broke a while ago and i have had a hard time finding newer ones.

I haven't ever used an AR, mainly because I have no idea where to get one. However, I wouldn't use it very much; too scared of messing up my game XD
    I have considered using an emulator to play G/S/C, but for starters, they're illegal, I think, and I'd be too scared of messing up my laptop, so I really doubt I'll ever use one, especially if they're bringing out remakes. ^_^
    xX

The thing is with AR's and Gamesharks is if you mess up your game....it's your own fault.....the instructions are pretty clear, name code-enter code-hit done. if you mess up the code it simply does nothing, but if you enter the wrong code, thats where thing pretty interesting :)

and if they're illegal, why are they still on the shelves and being sold? also there is very little Cheat Console to PC interaction other than looking up the the newer codes on the internet. the only console to pc interaction is usually with the xbox 360 Action R.eplays

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back