• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How much longer can Pokemon last?

The Red Chain

I'm praying in the back of my mind right now that they seriously don't push past Gen 5, but that's a hopeless prayer.
    There is only so much greatness you can do to one series.. and the whole idea of it continuing is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. ;;
    Unfortunately Nintendo will continue until Pokemon dies down.. which'll take a while.
    Because no matter how much fans complain, no one can deny they will still buy the games regardless of whether they "hate this" or "hate that". .-.

Iron Mankey

Gentleman Thug
    Years
    How long a Franchise will last depends on only two things and two things only:

-As long as there exists an audience who will buy the products
    -If it can generate a good amount of profit

Given these two criteria, I think it will last a good while yet. Each new generation has kids that will gobble up just about anything you throw at them, and a large number of those kids will still like these franchises even as they become adults (Guilty).

TrainDozer

The Elite Four's Third
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2013
    well, they already seem to be running out of good Pokemon ideas. Look at the 5th gen. some of them look dumb. No imagination at all. The starters kinda suck. D/P/Pt wasnt even that great. They could just focus on story and not introduce new pokemon. Theres gonna be like 600+ after the 5th gen. Thats too many. They obviously are going to keep revamping games. Advance gen will get a 3DS makeover most likely and D/P/PT will too probably. New stories + new characters and regions would make great games. Spinoffs even do good. I dont wanna one day look at the Dex and see over 9000 pokemon though. That is what I fear will eventually kill pokemon. Some quality, but mostly quantity.

BartCiao

It has always been Pokemon :)
    Years
    Who knows, maybe Pokémon won't die until the whole company of Nintendo dies. Or at least, it might die with the other major Nintendo series like Zelda and Mario.

I guess such a moneymaking game would be taken over by PlayStation or XBox! But I think they'd make it too agressive...

Gardenia101

Official Lurker
    Years
    From what I'm seeing most of you are assuming it will go on as long as they have ideas and a name for the new games. But does anyone see pokemon getting, just a little, generalized.How long before people begin to question if these new ideas are good or even wanted. Triple battles? Come on I like Doubles but Triples could mean a person has there whole party in one fight, which is tactically and unsound desicion.

* Back on target, take a look at the mascots. Look Close. Do they remind you of anybody, even maybe a little. Try and take away the wierd crap here and there on them and look at them for shape and maybe color and features.

*My point is Pokemon doesn't seem inspired anymore and I feel that will be its downfall. If you notice they most popular games on gen's 3/4 are remakes of older pokemon. Plus did anyone get that sort of finality with the addition of Arceus to the pokedex? Just something for u guys to chew on. I feel we are getting closer and closer to that point in a franchise where it changes here and there to the point where it is too different and isnt exactly pokemon anymore. I dont want each new game to be just another pokemon game to keep it going. If gen 5 is what I think it will be that is where I will stop buying new pokemon games.....Hate to say it but its tru.

But you're forgetting-
    New inspiration will come when the current producers snuff it and new people come to take their place.
    And seriously, an opinion is never technically true.

Years
    I hear what the pro-time people are saying but how many times can they remake a furry ferret-like Pokemon until people get tired of it? Plus the designs aren't getting better just more unique. Unique does not equal better. I think Pokemon will be around for about another decade but I can't see it becoming timeless like Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
    I already stopped buying games. partly it's that the new pokes look awful (in my opinion at least) and partly it's that I just don't like the "feel" the new graphics have to them. I actually think that 2nd gen>4th gen graphic wise. I guess that I'll have to check out the finished 5th gen to make sure though... In terms of how "long will it last?", as long as the human populas will keep buying it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2019
    Ash ages in the Japanese version. The "always 10" problem is only present in the translated versions.

Last I checked ages ago one of the people who worked on the Japanese version said he was always 10 in an interview.=/

The english version shows far more hints of aging due to dub add ins and many other things though unfortunately that doesn't change the fact he still looks the same after 10 plus years.

He matures in personality but that's as far as they go with him.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    i have been playing pokemon for about 10-11 years and i don't see pokemon ending ever enless people stop buying or nintendo isn't making enought money off them.

Back