• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How much use do you get out of the HM, Fly?

How much use do you get out of the HM, Fly?

• [obligatory 'other' option]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

vudw

Nocturnal Insomnia
    Years
    Discussion (if you want to): How often do you use Fly, and what is your personal opinion on its use to you and how you use it?

So, in nearly every Pokemon game I've played after Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, I've started to develop a... not necessarily a distaste for, but a disinterest in the HM fly. As each generation came, more and more I would much rather walk and rock smash my way through the land to get from town to town, rather than take the shortest route and fly. I used to use it, I'll admit, but more sparingly than anything for when something came to mind and I had to do it THEN.

Otherwise, I've become quite the anti-flier, especially in Black and White, not even bothering to get a flying type for quite a while--not until after the Unova League, at least. Even when I've been using wi-fi much more than I have in the past, I still refuse to fly. In fact, I'd much rather sell the HM if I could... or can I...

I'd rather enjoy the land that was put there, at least for as long as my interest can handle.

EchoFire9

Sixth Ranger
    Years
    I use it quite a bit. But that's usually when I need to get somewhere quickly, like if I'm five minutes from missing an item that's only given out in the "evening". I also use it to bypass mountains/caves, because I hate those things. I also used to use it as a good flying-type attack, which it still is, but I've grown rather fond of Acrobatics as of Gen V.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Unless my destination is the next town over and there's no Rock Smash or Cut obstacles to get in my way, I'll just fly there.

I'm also apparently one of the few people that likes to use it in battle, at least in-game.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Fly is considered one of my most frequently used HMs. It just screams "MUST USE A FLYING POKEMON". It's easier for me to just jump from one city to another rather that travelling by bike.

Years
    HM Fly has always been my favorite HM/Move in all Pokemon games. I just think it is neat to be able to fly in there air, have the opponent miss, then OKO if the types are opposite. I really enjoy it. However, this and HM Surf are the only two I give my Pokemon as a move. Mainly because I think they are some of the strongest moves in the game. What I do wish is at some point a Pokemon game will allow a seventh Pokemon to be kept, but not able to battle just to use HMs. Of course we all have our HM mules, but I think it is kind stinks to have to go into town and pull out multiple HM mules to get where you want.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    If don't mind grabbing a Pokemon from the PC to do my Flying. Most of my teams don't consist of a flier, and even if they do, I usually prefer Air Slash, Aerial Ace, or Acrobatics, because I don't feel like waiting two turns. But I use Fly a lot unless the place I need to go isn't too far off...or if I just don't have the HM yet, haha.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I spam fly like a mofo!

xD;

Once it's available, I use it all the time for traveling, and also quite often in battle, since I love the move itself.

Years
    Fly is, and forever will be, one of the most useful HMs. While I enjoy riding my Bicycle to upbeat and cheery music, Fly provides a far more efficient means of transportation. As for in-battle use, I definitely don't hesitate to give it to one of my flying types, especially if they have a poor movepool. The base power is adequate and the extra turn of evasion is handy too, as the in-game opponents lack the AI to use a set-up move or hazard.

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
    I use fly all the time. Sometimes when I'm in a big town I'll just use fly to go like across the town to the pokemon center, I like the animation to. And I'm just lazy like that lol.

Altaïr

... Has one gear: Go
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    I used to use it a lot, but now I am starting to not like the move, but I'm not sure why. In my most recent games, White, Black, Sapphire, Pearl, and Platinum, I didn't really use it at all.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I try not to use fly as much. I enjoy sightseeing, and walking always helps when I have Pokemon in the daycare or I'm trying to hatch something.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    As soon as I get fly I use it right away. I usually non-bird Pokemon to fly. Like Crobat. And Charizard. When I don't have fly yet--I walk everywhere.

vudw

Nocturnal Insomnia
    Years
    Seems like most people use Fly a lot. I'm not surprised. |D
    Nice to know that everyone isn't like that though, whatever the reason. I never really met anyone else who used it as sparingly as I do, or otherwise, before.

Either way, it's nice hearing reasons for things, even if it's only from a few people. :3

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I always fly, even short distances. When my Pokemon are hurt, I need to airlift them, walking can be dangerous. Also, I'm lazy.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I always fly, even short distances. When my Pokemon are hurt, I need to airlift them, walking can be dangerous. Also, I'm lazy.
    What if your flying Pokemon is hurt...? You're still technically allowed to use Fly, but that would probably hurt the Pokemon more if it's already fainted :P

Back