• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How much use do you get out of the HM, Fly?

How much use do you get out of the HM, Fly?

• [obligatory 'other' option]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Giraffe

キリンリキ
    Years
    I use Fly quite often in battles & on the field.

Though I must admit, I do enjoy cycling through routes & grass -- just for the slight chance of a Shiny encounter.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    What if your flying Pokemon is hurt...? You're still technically allowed to use Fly, but that would probably hurt the Pokemon more if it's already fainted :P
    lol probably, but it's still flying straight to a Pokemon Centre - we're not stopping at a gas station to pick up some Red Vines, so all will be forgiven once Nurse Joy does her magic.

Years
    I use fly when I can't be bothered with running into wild pokemon every two steps. Though in B&W I've noticed I've been using it less and just buying repels so that I can enjoy the scenery.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Yo... I Fly so much, I might as well be a freaking bird. Seriously. Once I get that HM, I'm all over it. I'm far too lazy to walk, run, or even bike back to previous towns. Fly and Surf are the only HMs I'll actually use on main members of my party and not HM slaves, just because of how often I use it. I don't use it often in battles though, I generally have better Flying moves for that purpose.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2011
    Who wouldn't use Fly? It's a very good HM to use, and I use it all the time.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I use Fly pretty much all the time while I'm traveling so that I won't have to talk all the way to where I want to go. Sometimes I use it in battle.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I use Fly quite often once I get it. It beats having to traverse routes and caves to backtrack to towns. I have it on one of my team Pokemon even though I personally prefer Aerial Ace as an attack, simply because it makes traveling so much easier.

Citrus Knight

you've got bruises&&bitemarks
    Years
    ALL THE TIME >:C
    Fly is my most used HM. I use it to get EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME.
    I tend to go to Undella a lot, and I don't like wasting time running from where the Daycare Center is (since I'm doing a lot of breeding), through fields of level 15+ pokemon until I reach Undella, it's just completely unnecessary.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Add "dragons practically consider me family!" to the first option with Birds, and that describes my typical transport. XD

I use fly all of the time unless it is the next city over.

This. Otherwise, I'll probably use the Bicycle.

In Sapphire, Rayquaza and the Fly HM were like best buddies. I used this to travel everywhere; the only time I traveled on foot extensively from town to town was to typically enjoy the scenery.

Right now, a a Fearow in FireRed and an Articuno in Emerald are my primary HM-Fly users.

I considered using a Charizard with Fly as my primary "Flyer" until I learned that it is offensively more invested in Special Attack. -.- I'm still waiting for the day when Rayquaza gains A FREAKING POWERFUL FLYING-TYPE MOVE THAT REPRESENTS HIS POSITION AS "EMBODIMENT OF THE SKIES", AAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH. But yeah...if Air Slash were a TM, Charizard might have been able to be my main aerial transportation.

Now...I don't know...I also saw advice at how using Fly in battles give the opponent a turn to set up (i.e., a free switch as they anticipate your attack) while you're invulnerable, and now there are many more physical Flying-type moves that are, for the most part, reliable. Said Flyer would also have to be a Pokemon I anticipate on using often who can also utilize Fly well, though not at the expense of another move. I guess come Generation V, I'll be able to determine said Pokemon. I just know that Fly will be overused as transportation once again! XD

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
    Years
    All the time, whenever I can save time by using Fly, I will damn well use it. As soon as I obtain it I usually teach it to the resident flying type on my team. If only it would be of better use in battle... Anyhow, I even use it to travel if my destination is within 150 steps of my current location.

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
    I use fly quite often when I am nowhere near a city I would like to visit.
    Personally it's flash I find absolutely useless both in and out of battle. I can't even remember the last time I used flash, I can get through dark caves in all generations without it just fine.

レイジングブラスト

Back after a short break
    Years
    I usually stick to walking since I'm too lazy to get an HM slave out of the PC when I have a full team of six already. I don't really like teaching Fly to my priority Pokemon but when I do I can make pretty good use of it in battle.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    All the time. That and Surf mean that travelling most areas is a doddle, and it doesn't feel like you're wasting the moves on a HM Slave, as they're also really good in battle. I barely walk anywhere, as if I'm not flying around, I'm on my bike! Stupid indoors and Professors' voices saying 'There's a time and a place...'

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
    I use it all the time to avoid battles and get places quick. But retracing my steps if there is no tall grass I never use it.

Years
    I used to use it all the time - now I use it less often to make the game last longer and I love just looking at the scenery as I walk around :) Another advantage of this is maybe finding items/routes blocked by trees you hadn't noticed before.

I definitely use it a lot in battle too, being one of the more effective Flying type moves :)

Back