• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen How Old is Alder?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    How Old is Alder?

Look at this big hunk of man Champion here. Doesn't he look much older than other champions to you? We know for example, Blue was around 10 since he had just gone on his journey like Red. Lance also looks very young from his sprite, and hasn't seemed to live much. Steven, despite his silver hair, has nary a wrinkle on his face. Wallace seems somewhat older, but still no older than early 20s. Cynthia's also very young, considering her grandmother is alive and doesn't look very old herself.

Now Alder...look at his art:

How Old is Alder?

See those lines around his mouth? That wrinkle on his forehead? While Pokemon didn't add many details like that, the few they did add make it very obvious that Alder is supposed to be older than the average Champion. In addition, he's given a mysterious backstory relating to his previous partner and what happened that caused its death.

So, given all this information, how old do you think Alder is? Don't be afraid to reply to others and argue your opinion on his age :3

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Okay so what I said about him being 200 years old wasn't really a joke, because he just seems like an ANCIENT character to me, for some reason. But of course that would be far from realistic, even in a Pokémon game so I'd say he's probably around 35/40, judging by that art.

Years
  • This thread reminded me of that badass moment Aldar had when he jumped from a cliff and landed on the ground perfectly fine. I reckon the old man is around 50 myself though.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I always thought Lance was around late teens to early twenties. Wallace looked to be around late 20's to early 30's. Steven looks like late teens to me. Cynthia I imagined to be around mid 20's. But Alder.. I feel like Alder is about 45 give or take a few.

Years
  • 45-55 i think, not just because of his wrinkles but the way he speaks, he seems wise and intelligent and i can't imagine a 20-25 yr old champion like Lance talking like that.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Old.

He appears to have no nose, but besides that, I'd say around 40 or so. But the stuff he's wearing looks so old AND looks like Volcarona's design!

Maybe he's like one of those older people that was apart of a tribe or something in Unova which worshipped Volcarona. Together, he and Volcarona decided to travel to the Elite Four to test his skills, upon defeating the other Elite Four easily, he went to face the twin champions who battle together (Reshiram and Zekrom, aka N and your character, according to a theory in another thread). At that time though, the two were fighting, and the two people who were the guardians of Reshiram and Zekrom were destroyed, then reincarnated into you and N. After that, Alder swore to protect them and fight for the good - as well as take over the Elite Four, because he had experience at battling, and with the power of Volcarona he knew he would do well. The "big bosses" of Unova (who were really Ghetsis and Cynthia - who was theorised to be his wife and "mother" of N in another thread - but instead they are the supposed guardians) appoint Alder as the new Elite Four Champion. He then dedicated the rest of his life to helping out trainers, and when he sees your character he immediately realises what's going to happen in the future, so he does his best to defeat N so the destiny isn't fulfilled once more (aka Reshiram/Zekrom fight).

So really, Alder is a wise old man - if this theory were true! y/y?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • 57. Maybe give or take a year or two. But that's what I'm sticking with.

He does look older than most of the other Champions, but I think a lot of them are older than their 'youthful' sprites give them credit for (with the exception of Blue, obviously). In the case of Cynthia, I know some people aged 30+ who still have a healthy grandmother, and would easily place her in her early 30s. And maybe the make-up industry in the Pokemon world is just great at concealing all these wrinkles (or maybe there's a hidden plastic surgery in, say, Celadon or Castelia... YOU NEVER KNOW!). Point being: I don't think Alder is dramatically older than some of the other Champions, but he definitely will be a bit older.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Early 50s, really. Alder does seem like that, with his sprite and art. He even wears clothes that seem kinda old fashioned for Unova. The way he talks really makes him seem like he has spent years out in the world, gathering knowledge to pass onto young minds like the hero of the B/W games.

Plus the kind of wisdom he has and the way he talks really make him seem like an old timer lol :x tbh I actually liked Alder as an old man, really fit his role as a champion.

Years
  • Alder seems more weather-beaten than old. I imagine part of his looks are from traveling and all that jazz. But he does have the "old soul" kind of feel. I would say at least 40.

I also think the other champions are a bit older - mid 20s at least, except for Blue of course.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I reckon he is mid fifities

Mid 40's, possibly pushing 50. He looks aged, but not to the point where male pattern baldness or graying hair has set in yet.
    baldness isnt a sign for age really. When i went to school i had a guy one year ahead(year 12) who was going bald quickly and I know a couple of people(my brother in law) ie who are bold at late 20s.

Last edited:

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
  • He...always seemed to be in his mid 30's to me, with premature wrinkles. Wallace seems way older than him. I always thought Wallace was 53 or something.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Old.

He appears to have no nose, but besides that, I'd say around 40 or so. But the stuff he's wearing looks so old AND looks like Volcarona's design!
    [snip]
    Lol that is.. what.. he does have a nose Nica.. how would that even relate to his age I don't get you XD It's just the drawing style lol. WHY'D YOU EVEN POINT IT OUT XD

Also I agree with Scarf on the fact that he's probably just weather-beaten etc.

arbok

cobra pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I saw him as the oldest champ. Wallace as well I also thought was bit older then the others. I'd sayAlder was about 40s-50s same as most other people seem to think.
    I always thought lance was in his mid twenties not late teens. I never thought there was a champ younger then twenty except Blue

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    57. Maybe give or take a year or two. But that's what I'm sticking with.

He does look older than most of the other Champions, but I think a lot of them are older than their 'youthful' sprites give them credit for (with the exception of Blue, obviously). In the case of Cynthia, I know some people aged 30+ who still have a healthy grandmother, and would easily place her in her early 30s. And maybe the make-up industry in the Pokemon world is just great at concealing all these wrinkles (or maybe there's a hidden plastic surgery in, say, Celadon or Castelia... YOU NEVER KNOW!). Point being: I don't think Alder is dramatically older than some of the other Champions, but he definitely will be a bit older.

Pfft, if he's only just older than the other champions and you say Cynthia is early 30s, that's a whole 20 years, which isn't that close really. ;x 5 years, sure, but 20? Nah.

Lol that is.. what.. he does have a nose Nica.. how would that even relate to his age I don't get you XD It's just the drawing style lol. WHY'D YOU EVEN POINT IT OUT XD

Because I was looking for wrinkles and signs of stuff and that stuck out ;__;

Back