• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How old is ash?

Amy-chan

Has vacated the premises
Years
  • In the mini movie where the Pichu Bros. first made an appearance,there was a party at the end of the day that celebrated Ash and Pikachu's first meeting. This means Ash definetely isn't ten anymore. Although we've all figured this out,it helps to have evidence.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • I think he's about 12 or 13 now. Well, about 12 1/2 over in da USA and probly 13 in Japan. :P That's just what I think. But, he could be older...I dunno. 0-o But, he look's about 12 1/2 or 13 to me...o-0 lol

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
  • dqle said:
    Actually, TMNT did have an episode that showed the brother's history. According to that episode, they are officially 15 years old. (And I don't consider it a true anime...)

If any age at all, I still believe that Ash is 10 years old. (so why's the main character in FR/LG 11 years old???) Ash never did stop to think about other things very long so far in Hoenn besides earning his badges, which still shows that he's still a kid. And, Ash still acts like the idiot he was in earlier seasons. (remember Rustboro City, where Ash bought far too many novelty items?)
    Teenager's act like kids too you know. In fact, it's siad that Teens are possibly more extreme and childish than when they were younger. I find him to be a little older than fourteen. Any younger just wouldn't seem right to me with his appearance and level of maturity.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2006
    ok, what i dont understand is why people think ash is a aging character. i mean come on if there was a real need to make ash age the artists would make it so is to figure out. i mean they would i first heighten alittle and age him. i know some of u dont want to believe that a character like this in a series isn't aging like u, but common get over it. its a cartoon show, with a agless character point blank. i will give u an example there is a show called beyblade in this series the age the character. :pirate:

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
  • They didn't really age them in Beyblade, they chagned their animation style.

Its a bit too hard on them to show them aging like that. Even in DBZ you don't see them age unless they have a time jump, like that seven year period after cell was defeated or the one year period in the hyperbolic time chamber. That show covers three different generations, but they don't age unless a major period of time has passed off screen. Since pokemon never has a major period of time off screen, off course it would seem like he isn't really changing.

pokeknight

Hyper Member
    Years
  • Well! Ash is 13!

Ash's not ageless nor he's 10 or his age is calculated according to season no. or anime age! Instead it's according to writers wil! I have found in most of the sites a proof that ash is 13![ also according to Nintendo and other official pokemon sites!]

chatsy

Perverted Ash fan
    Years
  • In my point of view;
    In the first seasons, Ash had this character to be the youngest, and not so experienced. The height marked that impression of his character, but didn't determine his age, only character. It was confirmed in The Battle Of The Badge, that it was one year ago since they were in Viridian City last, therefore at least telling us that they're one year older.
    Then if you calculate the many times they've said that they've been travelling for two months, three weeks, a couple of days, and so on, it'll give a slight impression on when they reach their next age mark. Also proving that time does go by in the anime.

Now if you look at Ash when he ended his journey in Johto, and started his new jounrey in Hoenn, you can clearly see that his physical features have changed drastically since he started his journey in Kanto. He's more muscular, more tanned, taller than May, who's supposed to be ten. Although May was taller than Ash when they first met, but considering that Gary used to be taller than him, and they're the same age, then the height can't really determine that.
    But Ash soon got shown to be taller, and it also shows in comparision with Brock. Before, Ash's head just reached the top of Brock's shoulders, but now he's clearly taller than that. Guess the growing sprout finally kicked in :p
    Ash's attitude towards certain things has also changed. Remember the Mudkip episode where they met the guy, with the funny hair? Ash clearly acted unexpected towards him, and that shows that he's getting that attitude that certain teens have. Some preteens also have that attitude though.

But Ash is more out going, but also more aggresive. His patience towards Team Rocket has shortened greatly, and he pretty much hates being near them now. Although in some occasions he can team up with them, but that's only in extreme situations, where there are no other options.

Thatwas just to point out that Ash has indeed changed greatly throughout the time. Just compare a picture of him when he started his jounrey in Kanto, with a picture of him in Johto, and then a picture of him in Hoenn. You'll clearly see that his features are different in each picture. Heck, just compare a Kanto pic of him with a Hoenn pic then you'll see a drastic difference.

From what I could tell from what they've said about time in the anime, and in the change of features, I'll have to say that Ash is about 13-14 years old now. I can't really use his height as an example since it's different to each person. But I can use the fact that his physical features don't really fit a preteen in my opinion. 14 seems to fit pretty well.

That was my rant. ^^

chatsy

Perverted Ash fan
    Years
  • How can you think he was 12 at the beginning, when he clarly stated himself;
    "And now when I'm finally ten, I can get my first Pok?mon"

But of course, if you think Ash is skizofrenic, then it's another story.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • He's 14. I'm not going to go into an impossibly long rant like Chatsy did, I'll just say I agree w/ her. ^.^

pokeknight

Hyper Member
    Years
  • well! it may not be true!

In my point of view;
    In the first seasons, Ash had this character to be the youngest, and not so experienced. The height marked that impression of his character, but didn't determine his age, only character. It was confirmed in The Battle Of The Badge, that it was one year ago since they were in Viridian City last, therefore at least telling us that they're one year older.
    Then if you calculate the many times they've said that they've been travelling for two months, three weeks, a couple of days, and so on, it'll give a slight impression on when they reach their next age mark. Also proving that time does go by in the anime.

Now if you look at Ash when he ended his journey in Johto, and started his new jounrey in Hoenn, you can clearly see that his physical features have changed drastically since he started his journey in Kanto. He's more muscular, more tanned, taller than May, who's supposed to be ten. Although May was taller than Ash when they first met, but considering that Gary used to be taller than him, and they're the same age, then the height can't really determine that.
    But Ash soon got shown to be taller, and it also shows in comparision with Brock. Before, Ash's head just reached the top of Brock's shoulders, but now he's clearly taller than that. Guess the growing sprout finally kicked in :p
    Ash's attitude towards certain things has also changed. Remember the Mudkip episode where they met the guy, with the funny hair? Ash clearly acted unexpected towards him, and that shows that he's getting that attitude that certain teens have. Some preteens also have that attitude though.

But Ash is more out going, but also more aggresive. His patience towards Team Rocket has shortened greatly, and he pretty much hates being near them now. Although in some occasions he can team up with them, but that's only in extreme situations, where there are no other options.

Thatwas just to point out that Ash has indeed changed greatly throughout the time. Just compare a picture of him when he started his jounrey in Kanto, with a picture of him in Johto, and then a picture of him in Hoenn. You'll clearly see that his features are different in each picture. Heck, just compare a Kanto pic of him with a Hoenn pic then you'll see a drastic difference.

From what I could tell from what they've said about time in the anime, and in the change of features, I'll have to say that Ash is about 13-14 years old now. I can't really use his height as an example since it's different to each person. But I can use the fact that his physical features don't really fit a preteen in my opinion. 14 seems to fit pretty well.

That was my rant. ^^
    Well! Ash clearily says when he returns to Pallet Town after he earns all badges in Kanto league that he's back home after one year!
    As i have said it's upto writers will to decide ash's age! SO ,he was 11 when he competed at Kanto league[Might have taken so much time to collect badges as he was a rookie then!]
    But in Fourth Episode of Advance generation, writers gave a hint that he is 13 now! So that's the current authority!

chatsy

Perverted Ash fan
    Years
  • ujjwalpokemon said:
    Well! Ash clearily says when he returns to Pallet Town after he earns all badges in Kanto league that he's back home after one year!
    As i have said it's upto writers will to decide ash's age! SO ,he was 11 when he competed at Kanto league[Might have taken so much time to collect badges as he was a rookie then!]
    I watched the episode where Ash returned home to Pallet after he got all of his badges. He never said any precise time period of how long he's been gone there. He just said that it's a long time ago since he was home last time.
    But it's a fact that in The Battle Of The Badge episode it has been a year ago since they were in Viridian City last time, since it was mentioned by one of the characters.

Of course it's up to the writers what Ash's age is, it has never been denied. But it's obvious that they don't seem to want to tell us the actual age, which is why we have this thread, to figure the age out.

I don't know about others, but my opinion about Ash's age when he started was that he had his birthday on the day where we first saw him, which was at the night before he started his journey. When he said in the episode; "And now, when I'm finally ten.." then it gave me the impression that it was his birthday on this day, or the day before that. He was probably preparing for his journey on this day where we saw him, but he couldn't sleep because he was so eager, and the rest is well known.

But anyway, when Ash competed in the Indigo League, he was obviously over 11. Especially since it was told that when he came home to Pallet to train, he had two months to train in. So probably 11 years and two months if it has to be almost precise as possible can be.

ujjwalpokemon said:
    But in Fourth Episode of Advance generation, writers gave a hint that he is 13 now! So that's the current authority!
    What was this hint?

But I agree that Ash probably was around 13 when he started his journey in Hoenn, but from where they are now in Japan (I mostly follow those episodes) then I have the impression that he's 14. I could get tempted to say that he could be 15, but a part of me says that it doesn't seem right.
    From the time period of when Ash started his journey in Hoenn to where he is now (from the Japan episodes) then he seems to be around 14.

But in the current place in the US episodes, then he can still be around 13. I can agree with that.

Back