• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen How old were you

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
  • 2002 is when they came out, yes? I would have been... 7 at the time? But I didn't know Ruby and Sapphire existed until I was 12... oddly enough, I knew about FireRed and LeafGreen when they where new, since I recall seeing an ad for it on TV and asking for the games and my parents refusing...

But yeah, I was 12 the year DP came out to the states, and I got Sapphire then... at first I didn't like it, as THAT WAS NOT THE GAME I WANTED I WANTED BLUE RESCUE TEAM, BAaaaaW. but it grew on me after a few weeks. Sadly, the Hoenn era was short lived for me as I jumped to Pearl about a month after it came out.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • Sapphire was my first game I ever got.

My cousin had it and I would always ask to play it. He was nice enough to let me play his version. I would go to his PC and take out the Pokemon I liked best (all the cute ones like Plusle and Delcatty of course xD), regardless of levels and then I'd go explore the land. I totally would get lost in caves without Flash or ways of escaping (dig/escape rope)

Since I liked his game so much, I asked for Sapphire too and I ended up getting it. I was 7 at the time so I wasn't the best trainer in the world. xD I definitely liked contests better than battling and still do to this very day!

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
    Years
  • I was in the third grade when I got my Sapphire, so I guess around 10 years old. It was the first Pokemon game that I actually really got into.

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
  • I had to have been eight or so. I think around the same time Yu-Gi-Oh! became popular, so we all kinda acted like Pokemon was dead, and I think that kept going until FR/LG came out.

I never really got into R/S like others did (in fact they're not very nostalgic for me,) let alone Gen III. I ended up getting Sapphire.

Years
  • I was 11 when I first saw of it and got Ruby for my 12th birthday. It was fun back then, I even remember bits and pieces from my first time. :P

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Ah let's see... March 2003... I would be 10 years, 10 months old. The best there ever was. I first saw a classmate play Ruby or Sapphire on his GBA. I don't remember the starter, probably a Torchic, but he had a Wingull named Whispey.

I believe I got Sapphire for my 11th birthday because I wrote down that I caught Latias on May 25th. I used to be very keen with writing down the dates something important happened to me, and she's my favorite Pokemon, haha. Also, one month after starting Sapphire, I recall getting Pokerus in Ever Grande. In one month I had finished the story and caught the roaming legendary. This brings the start date around to my April 23rd birthday. I don't really remember opening it as a gift, but I sure do remember playing it for 300 hours... XD

Years
  • I had just turned eleven when they were released, but I didn't have a GBA at the time so I wouldn't actually get the games until I was around 13 (got my GBA SP the Christmas of the year FireRed/LeafGreen were announced, would get Ruby at some point after that).

I remember one of my friends letting me start a new game on their Sapphire and playing it at some point before that, though. I didn't particularly care that I would have to stop eventually; by that point in time I just wanted to play the game, even if it was only for a short amount of time.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Didn't hear about the announcements. I didn't even know RSE existed until I was 7, I'm 14 now.

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
  • I played Ruby when I was like 8 years old which is like 2007? Although I played FireRed a year before that xD

Years
  • Hmm, I can't remember how old I was when I'd first heard about Ruby and Sapphire, but I know that I got my GBA SP and Sapphire from Christmas in either 2004 or 2005 (which would've made me 12 or 13 respectively). Either way, I always seemed to be a couple of releases behind everyone else as far as the Pokemon games were concerned, but that didn't stop me from putting in a couple hundred hours into Sapphire before I finally got FireRed, haha.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I was about 6 years old when I first played a Pokémon game (The first rescue team game) at a after school club and I thought it was cool. I begged my dad for a DS so I could play pokémon and that Xmas I got a DS (the old chubby one) with mario kart and couldn't wait to get my hands on a pokemon game. I then got Emerald and played it using the GBA slot on the DS and I was hooked.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    It was released in 2003, right? Yeah, I can remember the day of its release date. I just turned seven, and since my sister had forgotten to gift me a birthday present, she got me Sapphire when it was released. Everyone was talking about it in school. It's such a shame that its not as popular in school as how it used to be. I loved it to bits. I still play the same cartridge time to time, but its battery is dead. :(

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I was about 11 when I heard of R/S, and when I purchased Sapphire. I remember excitedly waiting for Friday so I could get the game (since I had too much homework/other stuff to get it and start it during the week). I also recall being disappointed about the fact that I couldn't get Blastoise, my favorite Pokémon, and that there was no backwards compatibility with gen 2. I was actually tempted not to play Sapphire after learning that, but decided to give it a try anyway, and ended up enjoying the experience (though I still liked Gold better).

I also recall being thrown by the graphical changes. I had no idea what the new grass was when I first looked at it, and was mildly surprised to discover that it was the game's version of tall grass.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • When the good old Gen.3 games originally came out I was around 11/12 years old (also when I first got word of it). First I played a bit of Sapphire but that game was from a rich friend unfortunately, so I must have been around 13/14 years old when I could buy my first Gen.3 game, which was Ruby :3

Currently playing Emerald to re-live those days of awesome gameplay! ^_^

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I was only 5 years old when they originally came out... :x

Believe it or not, but I completely missed out on buying them ;_;. My parents didn't have enough money to buy me gaming devices back then, so I was stuck playing my friend's GBA SP, and he had Ruby Version. I think that was back in...2006-2007? 8 or 9 years old when I got them. Around when I got a DS to play Diamond Version.

I finally got the games for myself via emulator around I think 2010, which would have made me 12. I'm a very late person, I know :(

encas

Don't tread on me.
    Years
  • When Ruby and Sapphire were released, I was an eight year-old third grader. I remember being so incredibly hyped when those two versions were released in Japan in November 2002, but despite my enthusiasm for the releases, I ended up waiting until the following spring to get my hands on the games. Although I preordered both of them, I mainly played Sapphire (to this very day, I have kept one of my oldest Sapphire files, as I still have the Eon Ticket item on it, so I maintain that file just in case I need to mix records onto any of my other Hoenn cartridges).

Years
  • I can't remember exactly how old I was when I first bought Pokemon Sapphire, but I remember coming home from school they day they were released and begging my mom to drive me to Target and purchase it. After half an hour of bickering, she gave in and we set out to buy what later become one of my most coveted video games. My brother got Ruby, and we spent hours playing through the story line and trading with each other. I have so many fond memories travelling through Hoenn for the first time, and it always brings a smile to my face reminiscing about them. :]

Back