• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to improve the Ice Type?

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    (didn't know whether to post this here in in Pokemon General)

Don't usually create threads here, but I've been pondering this recently. I know it's probably been brought up before, but what ideas do people have for improving the Ice Type, which is probably the "worst" (subjective) type in the game. But I've also seen people say it's already balanced as it's one of the best offensive types in the game, thus is needs to be weak defensively to balance it out. Please note I'm not huge on competitive, so some of my thoughts may be wrong, and obviously we don't want to break Ice so much that it becomes overpowered!

The main issue I've seen is it's lack of resistances, as it only resists itself. I don't understand why it doesn't at least resist Water, and online I've seen a lot of people say it should resist Grass/Bug, but also not since those types are already heavily resisted by others. I've seen people also suggest Ice should resist Ground and Flying, but what do you think? Personally I think it should at least resist Water and one other type in addition to Ice, giving it a total of three resistances max, but what other type should it resist?

I don't think they need any more offensive presence, as they're already decent in that regard, but a few more abilities wouldn't hurt. First, Ice Pokemon in Hail should have a similar effect to Sandstorm on Rock Pokemon, whether it boosts Def/Sp. Def though I'm not too sure on. As for new abilities, if you didn't want to make them resists Water, something like "Ice Armor" could work which reduces damage from Water type attacks by 50%, or Frostbite, which has a small chance to make the opposing Pokemon flinch/freeze when they use an attack that makes contact. Freezing would probably work better, since flinching is only worthwhile if you move first - but if you want to flinch maybe change it to any move that makes contact (be it the user or opponent) has a chance to flinch the opponent so it's less reliant on speed. Maybe also an ability called Absolute Zero which makes the area so cold it turns any existing weather condition to Hail, and can't be overridden by any other weather (except Cloud Nine/Air Lock) as long as the Pokemon is on the field. Though I'm not sure how useful this would be, just trying to think of cold/ice related things here! Something like "Ice Breaker" could work similar to how Sand Spit works.
    Thinking of other Ice related ideas for abilities, something known as Figure Skater could work, which would prevent the Pokemon's speed from being lowered, again, I'm not sure how useful it could be.

Are there any other abilities/moves/changes you think that could be introduced to help out the Ice Type? Ice is probably my favorite type so I'd love to hear what you guys think!

Years
  • going to move this over to pokemon general as it's more appropriate there. pgc is more about the games in particular o:

okay so, iirc threads like this have been made a bit in the past and i'm going to echo what i've said in a previous thread about this very thing.

I'm fairly sure most people would agree that Game Freak keeps introducing beefy Pokemon in a type that's just not great defensively whatsoever. If GF bothered to introduce more offensive Ice-types, then this wouldn't be so much of an issue.

So basically, the type is really only "bad", because the wrong type of Pokemon are in it.

i still feel this way to this very day. ice is a pretty great offensive type under the right circumstances see: weavile, kyurem-b, mamoswine, vanilluxe under the right circumstances, and galarian darmanitan is a pretty damn big offensive thread despite all of them being ice-types. if Game Freak were to actually make more of them i think that would be nice.

Hocus_Pokemon

Psychic Master
    Years
  • Ice types should receive 1.5X boost in either Defense or Special Defense during hailstorm similar to Rock types in sandstorm... An ability similar to Solid Rock and Prism Armor would also be a good idea...

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Said it once in a similar thread that I made, and will say it again, Ice needs to resist Normal. It's the Ice type, not the snow type, breaking a block of ice would hurt just as much as if it were rocks or metal. Sometimes I even already believe Ice resists Normal because it just makes so much sense.

LadyLurantis940

The Bug-type Impostor
    Years
  • As far as resistances go, I'd balance things out by adding the Grass-type, Water-type, and Normal-type to the list. This is only because right now, it doesn't resist anything but itself, while four things resist it. Doesn't that seem just a little terrible to you?

Next, boost defense/special defense in a hailstorm without the ability Snow Cloak. Seriously, Ice-type really needs it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2020
    if Game Freak were to actually make more of them i think that would be nice.

Yeah, when I first found out that ice types were the least common type in the game I was quite shocked (it felt like dragons were a lot rarer). I think adding a bigger variety of more versatile ice types would help.

Freeze dry is one of the most interesting moves to me because of its super effective damage on water types, so I agree that ice should resist water.

wkduffy

Banned
    Years
    • HE
    • USA
    • Seen Jan 9, 2021
    Ice is fine the way it is. What it needs are a stronger selection of Pokemon that can abuse the things Ice as a typing already has going for it.
    Mamoswine and Weavile take advantage of Ice's amazing offensive coverage.
    Ninetales takes advantage of Snow Warning Aurora Veil.
    Vanilluxe and Abomasnow take advantage of Snow Warning Blizzard spam.
    Beartic and Alolan Sandslash can take on the role of Slush Rush sweepers.

All of these mons and others I haven't mentioned are competent in their roles, but they are also somewhat lackluster when compared to the toys that other typings can play with. Better users would put Ice in the same league as other threats of other, better typings. Buffing Ice would be a poor solution at best that just ignores the strengths Ice already has, or would take the Ice mons that are already strong (Protean Greninja, Screens Ninetales, Mamoswine) and buff them while leaving the other, weaker Ice Pokemon unchanged because they're still weaker than their alternatives regardless of changes to the typing itself.

Back