• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How young is too young for a cell phone?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    The thread title is pretty self-explanatory.

Also, how old were you when you got your first phone? What kind (like was it very basic, a smartphone, etc.)?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Can't watch the video cause I'm in the dining hall unfortunately.

I believe there should be a 'step' program for cell-phones - once a child begins to go out on playdates where you can't be around, etc., they should be allowed a cellphone but only allowed to call your number and maybe a select few others (the friends they're going with for example). That's the main draw of cell phones for children imo; a parent never has to worry about their kid because they can just call them and talk to them. Then sometime after 10 but before 14-15 I would let them have their own unlocked phone, not sure if I would get a texting plan with it though. I guess it would depend on if I had the money for it, since I would most likely have one on my own phone and 90% of people have them nowadays.

I guess I grew up with a very positive opinion of cell phones because my mom always loved them. Once I went on a retreat and they took my phone away, which I was fine with, and I called my mom from one of the leaders' phones and she flipped out, called him back, said if they didn't give me my phone back she would drive up there and get me, etc. She didn't like the idea of me up in the woods alone with no phone to call for help if something bad happened. She also told me multiple times to ignore the teachers' requests to put phones in lockers at school because of school shootings and such, to give me a link to the outside if I ever needed it. I think of cell phones as safety tools more than communication devices.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Yeah, the video seems to have been disabled by request, unfortunately.

Like a similar "when would you expose your children to the internet" thread, I'd probably give a hypothetical child a phone when I felt he/she was mature enough to use one. As for me, I believe I got my first phone when I was 12-years-old. It was a complete brick of a thing, cost about £20, and I ended up having it for about 3 years! It was crappy to the extreme, but I was just so happy to have one at that age that I didn't care.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I got my first phone in middle school, since I had to take the very lengthy bus ride to and from there (a nearly an hour of travel), and it would get late or another so I had to tell my parents if I was going to run late or if the bus broke down or something. It happened a lot too. It was a all-out touch screen phone, and it was basic I suppose.

I watched the video... When kids need a phone, it's more of a safety thing, like if they need to call 911 for an emergency. Like if they start going out camping on a mission trip or taking a hike through the mountains, I'd definitely supply them with a cell phone. By middle school is also a good time, since there is a huge opening for extra curricular activities and even more in high school. So having a phone to fix scheduling around is a good tool.

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
  • I think the right age for a phone varies on kid to kid. Whenever they're venturing out or doing things where being able to contact the parent would really help a phone should be used. When I was younger in those situations I tended to borrow one of my parent's phones and use that to call if needed. It wasn't that I wasn't allowed a phone it was just that I never really needed one. I don't think I actualled owned a phone until I was 15 or so.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Oh. I bought my own phone back in 2005 when I was 14. It was a prepaid Virgin Mobile. It was so simple that the display wasn't even color.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I was 15 when I got my cell phone, and it was a crappy hand me down flip phone from my mom. I only got it because I was in band and had to use other peoples phones to call her after practice was over, so technically, I should have gotten one when I was 13. I think that it's okay to get a cell phone for your kid if they are in extra curricular or after school activities that a parent can't attend, whether it be because of them being busy or because parents aren't allowed to stay and watch or whatever. So that's not really an age issue in that regard, it depends on what the kid does. But after the child has been picked up from said event, there's no need for them to hang on to the phone. I mean, who do kids need to talk to at that age? Who you gonna call? Girl across the street? Your friend who doesn't even have a cell phone of their own? ...Ghostbusters?

Point is, there's no point in a kid having a cell phone, especially a smart phone. Just a simple phone is fine, but only if needed. I'd say the ideal age to get a cell phone is somewhere between 13-15 but preferably not 13. That's such a bratty age, lol. Oh. That in mind...don't give a phone to a bratty kid. They'll be more bratty. Fo sho!

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I got my first cell phone when I was nearly 14 years old, and that was way too late. The fact of the matter is that like it or not, kids have cell phones these days. And because some kids have them, others need them to ensure continued playground equilibrium.

lacella

monsters & macarons.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2012
    as long as they're not running bills up my butt, i'd give them a cellphone as soon as they started to stay over at friends' places. nothing fancy, either. kind of just a: press this button to call mom!

oh, and i got mine when i was 13. it was really simple!

Pingouin_7

It was then replaced by a Nexus S a few weeks later.

Being able to play Nintendo games on-the-go is nice.
    And also, FPse.

Who you gonna call?
    ...Ghostbusters?

:)

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I got my first one at 17. A Nexus One.
    It was then replaced by a Nexus S a few weeks later.

Being able to play Nintendo games on-the-go is nice.
    And also, FPse.

:)

I'm saving up and selling my SGSII on EBay for a Galaxy Nexus. That phone is so cash!

Last edited:

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I didn't get my first phone until 8th grade, so around 13 I'd say. I personally think that that was a bit too late seeing I was already staying home alone before that. A basic phone should be enough for one who stays after school, or at a friends house.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I basically think that kids don't need phones, or in that case if you got a phone when you are 8 like me. I got my phone because my father "forced" me to take it with me to school. I am not those people who use phones all the time though. I am still using thatnokiaphone3120c.

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    In Japan many of the younger kids have them but they are programmed for only 2-3 numbers that the parents put in. Then the child can only select those numbers that are registered on the phone. Also many kids now have built in GPS systems so I think this is a good thing. Personally I'm ok with this but the whole texting thing scares me...

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I was 14 when I got my first phone. It was a Nokia phone, forgot the other name... but it had big numbers. Three days later it got stolen when I was in high school. I was so stupid. xD

Personally, I think when a child reaches high school age (14-15) is the perfect time to get a cell phone. But sometimes there needs to be a few restrictions, like for example... never leave your phone unattended (>_> @ myself lol) and texting in class.

In times like today, I'm hearing even kids as young as NINE YEARS OLD are wanting a smartphone. I mean, isn't that waaay too young? Can they handle the responsibility of a smartphone? A small, portable phone with numbers is perfect, plus, they can just call their parents, and maybe a couple friends.

In short, I think anyone younger than 10 is young to get a cellphone. As long as they can handle the responsibility, it's probably okay.

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    I got my phone for Hanukkah when i was in the 6th grade, and I never spent a moment without it. I still have the same phone, and I'm waiting to upgrade it. It broke at the beginning of the school year, and I've learned I can live without it. I believe an appropriate age would be when you enter middle school, any time before is way too young.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    When I was little, people started getting cellphones around me at the age of 10 or so, and it was ridiculous to me because my mom didn't want me to have one yet, and I didn't even want that myself. That was like having my own private bankaccount or something. I remember when I was 13 that I could have one but I still didn't want to, that was my own choice and I only got one when I turned 17, reluctantly, since I thought it might be convenient lol. That's the thing that makes me doubt a little, if your kids have a cell they can call you if something is wrong :/

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • In times like today, I'm hearing even kids as young as NINE YEARS OLD are wanting a smartphone. I mean, isn't that waaay too young? Can they handle the responsibility of a smartphone? A small, portable phone with numbers is perfect, plus, they can just call their parents, and maybe a couple friends.

My 10 year old stepbrother probably knows more about my iPhone than I do. If you live in a Mac family, you're going to have youngins that can navigate through any type of technology, it seems. lol At his mom's house, my stepbrother has an iTouch, Mac, and iPad. Not his own phone, though he wants one. His mom just kinda looked at him funny when he said that and was like, "Um no, you have enough." lol But I mean, the other things he has...those are probably more unsafe than a phone, and an iTouch practically can be a phone. But oh well.

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    When they need it. A busy 11-year-old who has soccer, an instrument, and ashdjkw would need a cellphone, but a 15-year-old who sits around and does nothing doesn't.

This reminds me... one of my teachers recently asked my class if any of us didn't have a cellphone, and I was the only one who raised my hand. ._.

Back