• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen How'd you beat the Elite Four?

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
This question comes up a lot in Generation III gaming, as the Hoenn League and the Kanto League are on the stronger side of Pokémon leagues compared to other championships like the Johto League and the Sinnoh League.

The question is, how'd you beat them? Don't forget to specify which game you're talking about. :P

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
In all honesty, I ended up having a team of zigzagoons with pickup, as well as one pokemon that I had in my team, trying to grind the pokemon's level to around 55, and any rare candies that I had, I split them equally between the pokemon that were currently in my team.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
In fire-red i used all of the in game freebies (lapras, hitmonlee,that anoying magicarp) along with blastoise and two others. Im pretty shure i grinded for a week in victory road before sweeping it on my second try.

The first try shoulda been a win but future sight bit me :/

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
I used my starter Swampert the most, but I did have a pretty equal team. It was a while ago that I beat the game and all I can remember is that I used Swampert, Azumarill, Electrode and a few HM users.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
In my first run of Ruby, I put almost all my Pokémon into the PC and went solo with only my Blaziken, as it was the strongest at that time. It didn't work, though—I give it about six to seven tries, but still no luck. I was pretty close in my fifth try, but Drake's Salamance took me out instantly with Fly, which Blaziken was super-effective against. If Salamence hadn't used this move, then I definitely could have beaten him. I'm sure, ninety-nine percent. Anyway, so, after that, I decided to put a few Pokémon back into my team and buy some Full Restores, Max Potions, Burn Heals, Ice Heals, etc. With help from these Pokémon (as well as the items I purchased earlier), I finally managed to defeat the Elite Four. It took some time, but still got the job done. In Emerald, though, the Elite Four weren't very hard to beat, because this time around, I trained all my Pokémon evenly. Same goes for FireRed. d:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Hoenn is easy.

Sidney: Blaziken sweep.
Phoebe: Took a bit of maneuvering but generally Cacturne was a star.
Glacia: Blaziken and Manectric sweep.
Drake: Walrein says hi.
Steven: I've only ever battled Steven once. I remember Blaziken had a field day with his team.
Wallace: A bit difficult due to Milotic and Tentacruel, but mostly Cacturne and Manectric handled them just fine. Swellow killed Ludicolo.

Wallace wasn't a bad Champion, but I wish you could rebattle Steven in Emerald.

My team was especially crafted for Hoenn's Elite Four. Though, if I was playing seriously, Salamence would've replaced Swellow.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen Apr 28, 2024
sapphire version, defeated everyone of them with just a lone untrained kyoge with the moves thunder, ice beam, surf & waterfall. funny thing is that i had 5 lvl 65s in the waiting and i expected kyoge to die a lot sooner

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
In Emerald, I've used Swampert and the rest of the team I have forgotten.
I almost died because Wallace used water types and I only have one Pokemon who
used grass type moves and almost faint all my Pokemons. Good thing I've still one.
Hate his Milotic, always use Toxic at my babies. Steven is not so tough on Ruby.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
Hm... In my Ruby, I kinda ended up sweeping the Elite 4 with just my Swampert. Except for Glacia. She kinda gave me trouble, so when Glalie came out I ended up switching to my Camerupt. Worked out nicely! :> The Champion wasn't too hard, as again I did use Swampert to faint most of his Pokémon. I did swap out some of my Pokémon then and again though.

大輔

Adventurer
Years
Hoenn : Rayquazza level 100... I RARELY use legendaries ( hell, ever since then I never have used one ) But for the sake of being young and feeling amazing because I caught it made me do it. I actually spammed it and used EXP Share on tons of my pokemon from it :P

Kanto: Honestly...I was just purely lucky... I got beaten so many times by the Elite Four x_x

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
How? Quite easily.

Leveled up my standard six team (of various types) instead of just using them as meatshields and having only one power house. Also stocked up on supplies (especially full revives) before going in. And occasionally taking along a low level pokemon to give it the boosts in exp so that it'll evolve.

Game Crystal. I would say ruby but I only played that once/twice?, and memory fails me if I beat it or not. (I think I did though)

Years
Emerald was my first game and i really had no idea what i was doing.. i pretty much beat it with my overpowered Swampert who was the only pokemon i had trained throughout the game and Rayquaza.. :P however, it did take me countless attempts.. i remember beating Drake, the fourth dude, and throwing my gameboy across the room because i had no idea there was gonna be someone else after him, i mean they are called the Elite '4'.. such a naive child.. :p

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
Emerald was my first game and i really had no idea what i was doing.. i pretty much beat it with my overpowered Swampert who was the only pokemon i had trained throughout the game and Rayquaza.. :P however, it did take me countless attempts.. i remember beating Drake, the fourth dude, and throwing my gameboy across the room because i had no idea there was gonna be someone else after him, i mean they are called the Elite '4'.. such a naive child.. :p

Yeah I did something similar along those lines 'throwing the gameboy', I ended up breaking it. And that was the end of pokemon for me back in 2005 until now in 2013. Needless to say I've learned since then. That pc gaming is the way to go! Just look at all the mods for all the various games! I mean a bunch of Halo fans rebuilt Truth and Reconciliation from Halo 1 (least favorite stage btw) and made it into something far more beast than Halo 4 is or Halo 5 will be.

Back on tack though, it does show that you were a greenhorn at pokemon. Through yellow to emerald it was a sort of tradition to screw you over at the end. But I have no idea for anything after those games.

Feunard

Random Trainer
Years
In LG I remember I bought at least 50 revives and saved right before I battled one. If I lost I would just turn it off and try again. It was my first time going through it and I was a sore loser and couldn't accept defeat. If I lost at any point in the game I would just try again even if I lost an hour's worth of time because I forgot to save. I know my starter was Blastoise but I completely forget what other pokemon I had.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
In LG I remember I bought at least 50 revives and saved right before I battled one. If I lost I would just turn it off and try again. It was my first time going through it and I was a sore loser and couldn't accept defeat. If I lost at any point in the game I would just try again even if I lost an hour's worth of time because I forgot to save. I know my starter was Blastoise but I completely forget what other pokemon I had.

Trust me I think we ALL save before we jump on the Elite Four Rageathon.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 28, 2014
For kanto, you just need to use:

Psychic move (psychic)
Water move (surf)
Ice move (ice beam)
Fire move (flamethrower)

Surf you get for free
Psychic you get for free
Ice beam/flamethrower you can buy from celadon game corner

Train at victory road until you can 1 hit them all :D

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
I used Swampert in Emerald. And some other pokemon that I can't remember. But for the most part, my Swampert did all the work while the others were there in case it fainted. My Swampert was a really high level when I went there. :p So I guess that helped too.

Back