• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I am glad that games companies have started making videogames again

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Recently I was worried that games companies had stopped making actual videogames. Instead, they were releasing a lot of media aimed at "hardcore gamers" - such as FPSs and RPGs which are all aimed at basement boys. But to me those are not real videogames. Real videogames are for kids, because videogames are supposed to be toys. I was worried that companies had stopped putting effort into making videogames for kids.

So I was happy to see at E3 this year that videogame companies have started to really focus on making real videogames.

From Nintendo there were games like Zelda, Donkey Kong, Nintendogs and Cats and Kid Icarus which I think children will like. Although Nintendo has always made a lot of games for children so it is not really new news.

But Microsoft also seems to be putting effort into making games for kids, because they have their Kinnect system and some really cute and fun-looking games for that which I think will be really popular with children.

I am hoping that other videogame companies will start to follow their example and make lots more games that can be played by children. And I hope that gradually we will see that the number of nasty "hardcore" dreck titles will fall and fall.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Not games for children, games for everyone. Games that everyone can play and enjoy.

A children's game is like...Sesame Street and edutainment or Hannah Montana

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Once they find out it was a huge mistake, they'll go back and make games that don't suck.

I was worried that companies had stopped putting effort into making videogames for kids.

You clearly never looked into the Wii game library.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    Not games for children, games for everyone. Games that everyone can play and enjoy.

Well put TRIFORCE89 I agree with you complelty. A game can be played by anyone casual or hardcore, young or old.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024

Those are children's games, but those are bad children's games. What we need is more good children's games like Super Mario or Zelda. These are games that are designed for children, but sometimes they can also appeal to adults on some level. It is like how adults can watch Disney movies that are for children and still enjoy them.

You clearly never looked into the Wii game library.

But most kids games on the Wii do not have any effort put into them. They are just side things that videogame companies do just to get more money to fund whatever "hardcore" dreck they happen to be making at the time.

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
    I personally am excited about the comeback of JRPGs like Xenoblade and The Last Story. I'm sick of people telling me to play Mass Effect or Fallout whenever I ask for RPG recommendations. I am not into shooters, people, even if they have RPG elements. X_X

Last edited:
    Years
    Recently I was worried that games companies had stopped making actual videogames. Instead, they were releasing a lot of media aimed at "hardcore gamers" - such as FPSs and RPGs which are all aimed at basement boys. But to me those are not real videogames. Real videogames are for kids, because videogames are supposed to be toys. I was worried that companies had stopped putting effort into making videogames for kids.

So I was happy to see at E3 this year that videogame companies have started to really focus on making real videogames.

From Nintendo there were games like Zelda, Donkey Kong, Nintendogs and Cats and Kid Icarus which I think children will like. Although Nintendo has always made a lot of games for children so it is not really new news.

But Microsoft also seems to be putting effort into making games for kids, because they have their Kinnect system and some really cute and fun-looking games for that which I think will be really popular with children.

I am hoping that other videogame companies will start to follow their example and make lots more games that can be played by children. And I hope that gradually we will see that the number of nasty "hardcore" dreck titles will fall and fall.

This is the first time I've seen anyone say this, a lot people think that games are getting too casual, I agree with them.

One console been wiped out for me (Wii) already for this and I fear Microsoft will venture down this route aswell so it is back to Sony.

I like hardcore and casual. Hardcore being an FPS and Casual being like Fifa in my eyes and I don't mind companies releasing kids games (like movie tie-ins) but they're poorly made and in the case of the Wii there are more kids games than Hardcore and casual at the moment.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
    How can u Say real video games are for kids? Are u serious? Pong the first game ever made was made for teens to adults. Video games are made for all ages. But even games like Mario n donkey Kong are made for teens to adults. U really think a 6 year old could play Mario n actually beat stage 1? I dont really understand your issue with the Games being made currently they have a good mix of everything.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Jolene; no one cares that you find it impossible to enjoy mature games/

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    We need games that can be as deep as you want them to be.

I mean games that allow the average player to become awesome, without too much knowledge (But a lot of effort!), while at the same time allow the "hardcore" crowd to crunch numbers, tweak stats, and be awesome.

Games like... Disgaea! :D

bassforce288

Aleister Manson Crowley
    Years
    • LA
    • Seen Jun 21, 2017
    But RPGs are awesome especially final fantasy I rarely play it but is hell of good

Years

What was that rating that has left the face of the earth again....EC, I think it was.

Lol, Early Childhood ratings....made me laugh when I was younger.

Everyone can enjoy a game like...y'know...stuff from Nintendo. Brawl, Pokemon, Mario...or crap like...uh...Little Big Planet, or Mod Nation Racers, or stuff like that. (Yeah, all the children's games come from the studios of Nintendo...just wanted to give the PS3 it's recognition. =P)

But really, children's games like that? Yuck. =/

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
    Now now lets not start bashing someone cause they view things differently... Bottom line there are games out there for everyone...

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Now now lets not start bashing someone cause they view things differently... Bottom line there are games out there for everyone...

Jolene's a troll, this is the second time she's made this, just worded it differently. Only slightly though.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Those are children's games, but those are bad children's games. What we need is more good children's games like Super Mario or Zelda. These are games that are designed for children, but sometimes they can also appeal to adults on some level. It is like how adults can watch Disney movies that are for children and still enjoy them.
    To quote the great Walt Disney:

"I am interested in entertaining people, in bringing pleasure, particularly laughter, to others"

"I know more adults who have the children's approach to life. They're people who don't give a hang what the Joneses do. You see them at Disneyland every time you go there. They are not afraid to be delighted with simple pleasures, and they have a degree of contentment with what life has brought "

"Adults are interested if you don't play down to the little 2 or 3 year olds or talk down. I don't believe in talking down to children. I don't believe in talking down to any certain segment. I like to kind of just talk in a general way to the audience. "

Those films of yesteryear, we look upon as "kiddie" or "girlie" because of all singing. But in Dinsey's era, that's how movies were. Lots of movies were musicals and everyone went to them. The kiddie part was mostly from talking animals, which was used as an accessibility tool - much like the Wii and it's controls today. And this was used to reach a larger audience.

Walt was creating entertainment that could appeal to everyone, not for kids but that adults wouldn't get bored sitting through. The company tries to continue that today. The latest outings from Pixar are films for everyone and something adults can really appreciate.

I love Disney and I love Nintendo. And I always looked at Nintendo as being very similar to Disney. They make great games that are played by and enjoyed by everyone.

Back