• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I am sick of music these days.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Last time I listened to the radio was in '99. :/

Granted, I do actually like (80s and 90s) pop in addition to rock, metal, and other things of the sort, but when my contemporary stations were overtaken by rap and, for lack of better term, dirty pop, I gave up on radio. Ever since then, I've relied on friends referring me to bands and such to broaden my musical horizons.

All that angsty/whiny emo stuff they have nowadays makes me cringe almost as much as rap, but I live in a place where rap is kind of the dominant musical taste, and frequently blared by rude people that assume everyone wants to hear it, so it's definitely the biggest bother.

Last edited:

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    It's called a cover, stealing is illegal. Covering a song is not illegal and the artists usually have permission to do so.
    It's true, a lot of cover songs are not very good. Some can be ok though; Live and Let Die by Guns N' Roses was a pretty good cover imo. Although, I still think the original by Wings is better.
    Wait when you take the beat out of a song completely and change all the lyrics and everything else is different its a cover? I must say you have enlightened me cause I had no idea!

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
    Songs these days are about sex and stuff which I personally am getting sick of! Same with rap!
    A nice song is 100% 'Fly me to the moon' sang by Hikaru Utada 1000% english aswell!

Years
    I can't stand rap and R&B music.

I dislike rap, pop, etc,

I can't stand lyrics, period. Rock, rap, metal,

I have to agree, music nowadays annoys me... Especially rap...

I just hate mainstream rappers because all they rap about is money, women and cars.

I've never been a fan of pop music, really, and the same goes for rap.

If you guys were better informed, you'd realize rap is not a genre. And it's called rapping, btw.

You just can't compare rapping to other genres like metal of pop because it's not a genre, it's a vocal style. Very much like saying you dislike electric guitars instead of rock itself.

Rap is just a common element of hip hop, which is IMO, a lousy genre at that. Yet rapping can come in different ways and it definitely doesn't suck. Have you ever heard Radiohead's A Wolf at the Door? What about RHCP? Linkin Park anyone?

I really don't see how people that don't even know what they criticize could be any better than genres like mainstream hip-hop.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    To add on to what CWTAP said; not all rapping is about getting laid, taking drugs etc.
    Take The Message by Grandmaster Flash for example; as the title suggests, it does put across a meaningful message.

Years
    In the past music used to be a lot more differently from music today. People very often had utterly new ideas for a song.
    Nowadays, everything sounds almost the same to me.
    I do adore music of the 80ies. It was just... different. I can't explain but the music today has deteriorated a lot in my opinion. It's not like that I hate all of the new songs but there are hardly any good ones to my mind.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 30, 2024
    To be honest, we need more songs that have meanings, as in inspiration and a good influence to people, as most influential songs seem to be good (Scatman being the perfect example).

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Well to be honest I don't see why you're complaining. I mean I think a lot of covers are better than the originals, especially Johnny Cash's cover of the NiN song Hurt.
    I also happen to like sampling, idk call me whatever you want but I for one like it when people try and bring a new edge to a classic.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    As for rap, I don't care if it's a genre or not. It still isn't worthy of being called music.
    I'd like to see you back up that statement, because rap technically IS music.

I'm not sick of modern music. I'm sick of self-proclaimed arbiters of music like yourself complaining about things you don't like.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    I don't care if it technically is music. In my opinion, it's not worthy of being called music. I don't feel I have to back up my opinion. I have mine and you have yours. But if you must know, I don't think something that's basically just talking to a beat and throwing a curse word in every two words is music or talent.

And everyone has the right to complain about what they don't like, so deal with it. Like you've never complained about anything ever.
    I doubt that you actually listen critically to the delivery of rappers, but should you ever bother, you'd notice that there's a specific conviction, tone, and rhythm absent from their normal speaking voices; it's a simplistic form of song, but they're still singing nonetheless. There are also "legitimate" musical practices that are similar to rap as people perceive it; the recitative style of opera and the vocal technique of sprechstimme are both forms of singing that use the rhythms of normal speech. The fact that some rappers choose to insert profanity into their lyrics is, quite frankly, irrelevant; rockers and other "legitimate" musicians do it too, but I don't see you complaining about them. Then again, you don't care about the true definition of music, only your narrow personal definition of it.

That one sentence was poorly worded; I should have written "complain about things they don't listen to" instead. I'm certainly complaining about something I don't like, and you're obviously complaining about things you don't listen to.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    The music isn't that bad.

I listen to all sorts of music and I especially like older music then present day 'rap', but it's not horrible to the point where I would turn off the radio, lol.

Years
    Granted, it's at a much lower amount, but it's there if you look.
    Have you ever considered there was as much crap as there is today in the 60's and 70's yet probably we know the best music from those eras because it was actually transcendent? Do you think we'll be hearing Hannah Montana 30 years from today?

As for rap, I don't care if it's a genre or not. It still isn't worthy of being called music.
    I'd like it if you elaborated on that. At this point you sound like an ignorant person with no notion as to what is rapping.

I take it you think free verse poetry shouldn't be considered writing? Just a wild, wild guess.

Years
    You know, I'm really sick of people judging me when they don't know me. I'd figure as an Administrator of this site, you'd at least be a bit more polite than name-calling. Honestly.
    Maybe you're the ignorant one if you're so quick to judge. I'd appreciate it if you left my personal character out of it.

If you look at my other post above, I did elaborate a bit. I never claimed to be an expert on what rapping is, I'm saying what is sounds like to me and that's not a crime. I'm not debating that it's legitimate by society's standards. I'm saying I don't think it should be.

I'm saying what is sounds like to me and that's not a crime.
    At this point you sound like an ignorant person
    Hahahahahahaha. I never claimed to be an expert on ignorant people either. Nobody judged you.

Even if it sounds like it... heh.

Years
    MarsOperaPhantom said:
    making an attack on my personal character.
    How exactly am I attacking you? You have just admitted you're not a rap expert. How does that entitle you to state it shouldn't be considered music? How can't that sound ignorant to anyone, regardless of it being your personal opinion?

A person thinks Europe is a country. It's their opinion, too...

MarsOperaPhantom said:
    And you're clearly implying what you think of me. How nice. Is this how you treat all new members? Or just anyone who states an opinion? You know, there were several people who expressed a dislike for rap, why am I the only one being attacked?
    Attack you... for Pete's sake. You called me ignorant too. We're both members, regardless of stupid colored names, and I'm not making a huge deal of you "attacking my character".

Your paranoia doesn't impress me, and you really should read this topic more thoroughly, at least before making assumptions like those. Now if you don't post on topic from now on I'll be forced to hand out a warning.

Last edited:

Foo Fighter

Even in the face of death...
    Years
    I don't care if it technically is music. In my opinion, it's not worthy of being called music.
    Probably because of this Mars. Just because you dislike something doesn't mean you can completely shun it from reality. Rapping may be vulgar, but it is still TECHNICALLY music. Therefore it deserves to be called music. Calling it anything else just because you don't like it is quite frankly stupid.

Personally Im a big fan of rap. Especially Eminem. It's like taking a violent trip through a psychotic drug induced mind set to a back beat.

Star★Seeker

→s t y l e ;
    Years
    Just because you say it "sounds like [I'm] ignorant" doesn't change the fact that you're making an attack on my personal character.

It's none of my bussiness, but he's simply expressing his opinion, it's called freedom of speech, deal with it.

Also, the one who said that Madonna ruined Abba's Gimme Gimme, I'd beg to differ, Hung Up is awsome, and so is Gimme Gimme, Abba themselves said that many artist had asked to sample/cover the song and they said no until Madonna asked, and, if my memorie isn't playing a trick on me, a member of Abba said that he thought the lyrics for Hung Up were great after Madonna mailed them to him.

As for the topic, call me crazy but I actually enjoy today's music, I also like Right Round, too. The only thing I can't stand is whiny emo music and Disney music.

Back