• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script] I cannot figure out a basic movement script

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2022
    Title basically says all. I originally wanted to make a script where a guy comes from offscreen, bumps into the player, gets angry, and starts a battle. I couldn't get it to work at all. I'd walk into the space where the script begins, the player is locked in place, and nothing happens at all. So I decided to try the most basic movement script I can think of, and even that doesn't work. Can someone tell me if I'm going insane or something? What am I missing? I'm using "applymovement" to the correct "Person event no." in AdvanceMap. I saw someone not use "lock" in their movement script, but that didn't fix the issue either. Below is the extremely simple code. I appreciate anyone's advice on this matter.

Code:
    #dynamic 0x800000
    #org @start
    lock
    applymovement 0x7 @karateWalk
    waitmovement 0x0
    release
    end

#org @karateWalk
    #raw 0x11
    #raw 0x13
    #raw 0xFE

FireFig

Ignite
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2022
    The game freezes ryt, if so you are missing the basic thing.
    This is a 'MUST' in script tiles, so all u gotta do is :

•Step 1 : Open up advance map, and select your script tile, and there will be a section in the side with menu like 'unknown' 'var no'..... And so on.

•Step 2 : Now change both the unknown value to 0003 or 0001

•Step 3[optional] : Be BLOWN away!!!

if it still doesn't work send me the full script I will try my best to figure it out :)

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
    Years
  • You should also check other things like the person visibility. If the person's flag id has been already set it will never be shown and you should first use a showsprite. Also make sure to locate the person who will move exactly one tile off the screen to prevent it not being drawn because it's too far away from the drawing radius. Finally make sure the person doesn't have the hidden movement type in advance map. These are all the things I could think now that are causing this issue

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2022
    The game freezes ryt, if so you are missing the basic thing.
    This is a 'MUST' in script tiles, so all u gotta do is :

•Step 1 : Open up advance map, and select your script tile, and there will be a section in the side with menu like 'unknown' 'var no'..... And so on.

•Step 2 : Now change both the unknown value to 0003 or 0001

•Step 3[optional] : Be BLOWN away!!!

if it still doesn't work send me the full script I will try my best to figure it out :)

I tried both your idea and Dr. Seuss', and neither solved the issue 😕 To reiterate, I'm trying to make the simplest script you can imagine, where the player walks onto the script tile, and a man takes a few steps away from him. I'll post some screenshots for you guys to see if I'm missing anything silly:

https://gyazo.com/1acf0ad93df06c0f19173ac463b71333

^ This is where the NPC is in Pallet Town. The script tile is just one tile south of him.

https://gyazo.com/ccffd8685eedf1797c96502d3078a81e

^ This is the person event for the NPC in question. I haven't added any special flags or anything.

https://gyazo.com/9b8698b698f0917657855e0d8dc234a2

^ This is the script info, and the script itself is:

https://gyazo.com/c99d9d56dc26d807b8a7fd6346065065

I really appreciate your and Dr. Seuss' time on this. Thanks for checking out my post in the first place 😄

Years
  • You need to associate a variable with a script tile to make it work. Pick a safe variable from 0x4011 to 0x40FF and put it in the Var number box in Advanced Map. Let us assume you picked 0x4069. So you write 4069 in the Var number box. Now, you can keep the Var value 0 or change it to a number. Lets assume you kept it to 0. So what happens now is that if the value of var 0x4069 is 0x0, then the script tile will work.

If you put something other than 0 in the Var value box, say 3, then the script tile will work if the value of 0x4069 is 0x3.

If you want the script tile to activate only once in the gameplay, add a line like "addvar 0x4069 0x1" or "setvar 0x4069 0x(something other than the Var value box)"

That should do it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2022
    You need to associate a variable with a script tile to make it work. Pick a safe variable from 0x4011 to 0x40FF and put it in the Var number box in Advanced Map. Let us assume you picked 0x4069. So you write 4069 in the Var number box. Now, you can keep the Var value 0 or change it to a number. Lets assume you kept it to 0. So what happens now is that if the value of var 0x4069 is 0x0, then the script tile will work.

If you put something other than 0 in the Var value box, say 3, then the script tile will work if the value of 0x4069 is 0x3.

If you want the script tile to activate only once in the gameplay, add a line like "addvar 0x4069 0x1" or "setvar 0x4069 0x(something other than the Var value box)"

That should do it.

God bless your soul--it works! I almost cried when it worked correctly. Your explanation is perfect, too, as I'm glad you spoke about changing the Var value so the script doesn't repeat. Seriously, thank you. I've been fretting about this for weeks at this point haha! Big shout out to the other guys in this thread who tried helping me to. Thank all of you for your time 😭 <3

Years
  • God bless your soul--it works! I almost cried when it worked correctly. Your explanation is perfect, too, as I'm glad you spoke about changing the Var value so the script doesn't repeat. Seriously, thank you. I've been fretting about this for weeks at this point haha! Big shout out to the other guys in this thread who tried helping me to. Thank all of you for your time 😭 <3

Np! Glad to help! :D

Back